Bored with WoW?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Zeppelin2282
Just tried the DX10 client. Game looks absolutely beautiful. Too bad my Barbarian dies within seconds by insane caster damage. Until they decide to fix the caster vs melee balance, I'm going to stay far away from that game.

DX10 is working now ?

- awesome .. it's time to finally try my 30 days - i got back in December for $10 - after my 7-day trial ended
- i only got to level 7, but i liked it
rose.gif

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks - however, I'm pretty much bored with the whole fantasy based MMO genre as a whole. Here's hoping KOTOR MMO brings back the fun I had in SWG.

Mr. Lennon

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Just tried the DX10 client. Game looks absolutely beautiful. Too bad my Barbarian dies within seconds by insane caster damage. Until they decide to fix the caster vs melee balance, I'm going to stay far away from that game.

You know, that's always been something that's bothered me - people cry "overpowered!!! NERF!!!" in situations like this.

But in reality... that's the way it should be, instead of all these "balance passes" nerfing each class into oblivion. Think about it - a barbarian - melee warrior. They're supposed to get their asses handed to them from a distance by magic. Casters on the other hand are supposed to get their asses owned by the assassin types. Assassins are supposed to have the crap kicked out of them in a fair fight (no surprise/stealth, no-man's land, melee against a warrior type). Bring the right tools to a fight, and you'll win. Plain and simple.

Disclaimer: I'm not defending AoC, I haven't even played it. I'm just bashing the "nerf everybody into oblivion for the sake of "balance" which doesn't exist in a real fight anyway mentality.

I'm usually the last one to cry "nerf", but if you played this game you would know what I'm talking about. The highest ranged damage dealer in the game right now is a healer....you can draw your own conclusions to how overpowered that would be lol.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Originally posted by: coloumb
Thanks - however, I'm pretty much bored with the whole fantasy based MMO genre as a whole. Here's hoping KOTOR MMO brings back the fun I had in SWG.

I agree 100%. SWG had its flaws, but it was fun and very unique. The biggest complaint I had was getting addicted to the game...:p

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004

You know, that's always been something that's bothered me - people cry "overpowered!!! NERF!!!" in situations like this.

But in reality... that's the way it should be, instead of all these "balance passes" nerfing each class into oblivion. Think about it - a barbarian - melee warrior. They're supposed to get their asses handed to them from a distance by magic. Casters on the other hand are supposed to get their asses owned by the assassin types. Assassins are supposed to have the crap kicked out of them in a fair fight (no surprise/stealth, no-man's land, melee against a warrior type). Bring the right tools to a fight, and you'll win. Plain and simple.

Disclaimer: I'm not defending AoC, I haven't even played it. I'm just bashing the "nerf everybody into oblivion for the sake of "balance" which doesn't exist in a real fight anyway mentality.

I'm usually the last one to cry "nerf", but if you played this game you would know what I'm talking about. The highest ranged damage dealer in the game right now is a healer....you can draw your own conclusions to how overpowered that would be lol.

Tempest of Set? I got to 80 on my ToS before I quit because endgame was nonexistent and PVP consisted of running from roving ganksquads until you could join a guild to put together your own roving ganskquad.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I had a 70 PoM and a 70 ToS , both where overpowered, i was runnig 2 of them you could do some fantastic damage while healing yourself, i've never felt so overpowered in an mmo before.

/that and the fact everyone could have invisibility...

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Runes of Magic > AoC. Although AoC did have some cool graphics, I'm not going to pay for an MMORPG ever again.

Scrimmy

Oct 19, 2007

Yeah, this was by far my biggest complaint. Funcom did a lot really cool, interesting stuff to make playing a melee complicated and interactive. Unfortunately, the caster playstyle is exactly like it is in every other game.

Basically boiled down to melees playing Tekken while the casters were playing Quake. Big axe versus rail gun? Not a lot of fun.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000

Then why don't you just STFU if you don't know what you're talking about. This is a PvP game, not a real fight dumbass.

AVP

Jan 19, 2005

xCxStylex

Apr 6, 2003
SWG was so broken and flawed that there was some fun to be found in it. Server war PVP was extremely fun. Grinding 1/3 of a finished Jedi was the most boring gaming experience I've ever played ._.

Originally posted by: ExarKun333
Originally posted by: coloumb

I agree 100%. SWG had its flaws, but it was fun and very unique. The biggest complaint I had was getting addicted to the game...:p

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Looney

Then why don't you just STFU if you don't know what you're talking about. This is a PvP game, not a real fight dumbass.

Oh yeah, that's right... because everyone in an MMO absolutely has to have an I-WIN button. Sorry, I forgot. :roll:

cessation

Jan 9, 2003
Originally posted by: AVP
Originally posted by: cessation
Originally posted by: gizbug
AoC = Fail.
Next topic?

The game made FC millions and is still making them money. I believe the game cost them about 30 million and they sold over a million copies at $50 or more. They probably still have hundreds of thousands subscribed still. I wish I could fail like that.

AoC = Fail

http://www.onlinemassivelymult...combat-tutorial-video/

Meh, some site says that there's some estimate about the subscribers so it must be true. I've seen interviews from FC that state they will not give those numbers out.

The math is simple, they made money off AoC. Probably not as much as they wanted but hardly a "fail". If they are losing money it's probably due to other projects while they aren't making much off what they have. Just because AoC isn't making them a huge profit currently so they don't have any loss doesn't mean it's a failure.

The outcome of the game made me as pissy as the next gamer looking forward to it. But just because I don't like something doesn't mean it's a failure. Trying to be kewl posting stuff = fail is what's really a fail.

IMO WoW is a failure, they turned it into some kiddy candyland 3d game. But does that mean it's really a failure? No, Blizzard makes a killing off of it.

WraithETC

Golden Member
May 15, 2005
AOC balance was retarded. At first ToS and PoM were so overpowered that you could basically use all your special attacks from a DPS class and they could out heal your damage then kill you since you had nothing left. Granted you could probably run away if it was 1vs1. Also in groups if these priest characters were together they could form a more or less impenetrable shell of players that if you walked into you would instantly die since they stacked AOE attacks.

Then during the age of gemhax the tables turned flippity floppity where the tank class the guardian got uber buffed with melee gems and rangers got uber buffed with cross bow gems (rangers either used bows which were fast but weak or crossbows which were strong but slow however with cross bow gems strong became overwhelming). Guardians could stun people and one hit them before they could be unstunned and good xbow rangers could probably 1-2 hit non guardian classes with some basic 1 click "combos." Not to mention if you knew how to abuse chance for fatality you could instant kill people easily since your single hit damage was so high.

After the Gem nerf it went back to stage one where casters were too strong.

But through all this nerfing and negating PVE was totally botched for raids and crafting became useless since crafted armor was solely important for the gem stacking.