Question [BootSeq][YT] Have a Ryzen CPU, and a Radeon GPU? Have instability problems? Maybe it's overclocking your CPU behind your back!

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007

This is interesting. Apparently the "secret sauce" between Ryzen and Radeon, includes undocumented CPU overclocking.

Tom's has an article on it for those of use who prefer print. Sounds like AMD tried to put Ryzen Master into Adrenaline? Seems unnecessary. Also, if it is automatically enabling PBO, doesn't that mean AMD is automatically voiding peoples' warranties?

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I have no idea what AMD was thinking here, but when it did it behind my back it was a real shocker!

Not with Ryzen master either, but with the video card driver! System overclock settings in the video driver!

Shockingly horrible. Really messed up my settings.

This driver update was an awful shocker because of this. In order to stop it have to go on the tuning page and set it to "default", for some reason it wants to go to "auto overclock" for some stupid reason.

I did not try to tweak and overclock again, I just set it to stock. Just do not have time for tweaking right now.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
That's weird. Which driver build(s) do this? I use Ryzen Master and have a Radeon VII and the drivers haven't activated PBO yet.

"The current speculation is that the integration of AMD's Ryzen Master module into the Adrenalin version 22.3.1 ...".

Just another reason to wait for others to be beta testers.

Reactions: Leeea

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Yeah I have 22.3.1 as well. It doesn't happen on my 3900x. Granted I have Ryzen Master installed and use it on a regular basis so it may be that the module disables itself in deference to the full application.

Reactions: lightmanek
Jul 27, 2020
I did not try to tweak and overclock again, I just set it to stock. Just do not have time for tweaking right now.
Did you ever set PBO to on in the past? Maybe it is auto-OC because AMD thinks, hey, warranty is voided anyway, so what the heck? Let's make people happy!

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The only AMD graphics I use are iGPU Vega. My 5800x + 3060ti is as Data would say - Operating within established parameters.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Did you ever set PBO to on in the past? Maybe it is auto-OC because AMD thinks, hey, warranty is voided anyway, so what the heck? Let's make people happy!
Yes, the CPU was overclocked prior via PBO.

I also had a GPU overclocking profile that was applied.

I only use the stable channel for the driver.

Lets not have that getting in the way of a good lynch mobbing. ;)
A good lynch mobbing is exactly what needs to happen!

I have a amd gpu and amd cpu. My reward* for buying AMD is this? Hang them high!

*to be fair, this is my first real issue.

Last edited:

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Yeah I have 22.3.1 as well. It doesn't happen on my 3900x. Granted I have Ryzen Master installed and use it on a regular basis so it may be that the module disables itself in deference to the full application.

Ryzen Master never installed here so that's not the difference. Since it is a bug, it's probably some weird combination of factors that causes it when the drivers are installed on a Tuesday or something weird like that.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Ryzen Master never installed here so that's not the difference. Since it is a bug, it's probably some weird combination of factors that causes it when the drivers are installed on a Tuesday or something weird like that.
Agreed. Example, I was using a win XP box, that was not even on the internet, and using the same video card and monitor for literally years, my "old games" gaming box. One day the monitor went black. After literally weeks and changing out all the hardware multiple times, I found out that for some reason, under XP, that comination would not work anymore. Under win 10, the monitor worked, but even though it worked on XP for bios, as soon as it loaded XP, it went blank. And the same video card works, but is not installed anywhere right now. So obviously it was win XP drivers that stopped working after some period of time with THAT monitor.

Reactions: Drazick

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Hmm, good to know about this potential bug. I am still on 22.1.2 I believe on my systems with Radeons, and one of them is Intel based anyway.