boot up options for slim line laptops? namely - Toshiba Protege 2000

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

littlezipp

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2001
Just called and was quoted "Monday at the latest" for arrival.
Dew, this applies to all Portege 2000 orders, so that means yours too.
They said computers will ship today or tomorrow from a 3rd party via 2 day UPS.
Let's hold them to it!

dew042

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2000
Originally posted by: littlezipp
Just called and was quoted "Monday at the latest" for arrival.
Dew, this applies to all Portege 2000 orders, so that means yours too.
They said computers will ship today or tomorrow from a 3rd party via 2 day UPS.
Let's hold them to it!

[burns voice]: excellent....

dew.

littlezipp

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2001
Just got off the phone with them, and it is not coming today.
He said another week or so :(
They must not understand that I want it now.

Pennstate

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
Hey, what phone number did you call? I called the 800-814-6474 and it's hooked up to a fax machine

Sonarcade

Nov 2, 2002
OMG. I'm sorry but I can't believe that you bought from that place. I got a Vaio from them, or at least was supposed to until they told me that they've only received one the two money orders I've sent them in the same envelope since US Postal Orders max out at $1000 and I bought my Vaio for $1318.30. They told me that they would send out for the computer once they receive verification that both MOs have been cashed. Unfortunately, this process takes about 30-60 days(I'm still currently waiting for the slip sent at the beginning of April). I was fine with this and talked with these people until I was finally told that they no longer carry the item that I won on ebay. Obviously this is against ebay's TOS and they said the best they can offer me is a full refund and $100 for leaving positive feedback.

Red flag.

So I just told them to ship me a refund and send me the rest once the verification from USPS comes in. And so I recieved an overnighted $1000 check *phew* and am waiting for the letter confirming that the $318 was cashed. Now I also noticed that they have a lot of recent positive feedback and maybe I caught them during their "off-period", but just the fact that they practiced in the way above mentioned(as well as not letting me talk to Dan or John, who were pretty much in charge of the whole operation), leads me to believe that they either:

-satisfy some of their customers knowing that the ones that they deceive will provide them with enough profit for them to go one
-have shill bidders that leave positive feedback(because look at their somewhat recent negative feedback and even the one positive
feedback that also admits that they "bribed" him)

Yeah, my case could've been an honest mistake but their behavior afterwards told me the opposite. They don't allow e-mail communication but only through their 800 number, leaving no record of anything. I hope that you happen to fall within the pool of people that actually get a good deal from them, but I should've known that a computer that's on sale for $2200 USD at other places could never be acquired for $1318. I'm now a bit more paranoid about ebay, although it may be unwarranted, since I've had a perfect track record(even with transactions with Hong Kong) with them. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise since I finally went for the 600m, which arrives today. :)

There's a thread in Hot Deals with my list of tell-tale signs for fraudulent sellers and buyers(currently locked). I just felt it my obligation to warn you about these people and I hope your money order was at least insured like mine was(USPS orders are automatically insured).

Regards

dew042

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Sonarcade
OMG. I'm sorry but I can't believe that you bought from that place. I got a Vaio from them, or at least was supposed to until they told me that they've only received one the two money orders I've sent them in the same envelope since US Postal Orders max out at $1000 and I bought my Vaio for $1318.30. They told me that they would send out for the computer once they receive verification that both MOs have been cashed. Unfortunately, this process takes about 30-60 days(I'm still currently waiting for the slip sent at the beginning of April). I was fine with this and talked with these people until I was finally told that they no longer carry the item that I won on ebay. Obviously this is against ebay's TOS and they said the best they can offer me is a full refund and $100 for leaving positive feedback.

Red flag.

So I just told them to ship me a refund and send me the rest once the verification from USPS comes in. And so I recieved an overnighted $1000 check *phew* and am waiting for the letter confirming that the $318 was cashed. Now I also noticed that they have a lot of recent positive feedback and maybe I caught them during their "off-period", but just the fact that they practiced in the way above mentioned(as well as not letting me talk to Dan or John, who were pretty much in charge of the whole operation), leads me to believe that they either:

-satisfy some of their customers knowing that the ones that they deceive will provide them with enough profit for them to go one
-have shill bidders that leave positive feedback(because look at their somewhat recent negative feedback and even the one positive
feedback that also admits that they "bribed" him)

Yeah, my case could've been an honest mistake but their behavior afterwards told me the opposite. They don't allow e-mail communication but only through their 800 number, leaving no record of anything. I hope that you happen to fall within the pool of people that actually get a good deal from them, but I should've known that a computer that's on sale for $2200 USD at other places could never be acquired for $1318. I'm now a bit more paranoid about ebay, although it may be unwarranted, since I've had a perfect track record(even with transactions with Hong Kong) with them. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise since I finally went for the 600m, which arrives today. :)

There's a thread in Hot Deals with my list of tell-tale signs for fraudulent sellers and buyers(currently locked). I just felt it my obligation to warn you about these people and I hope your money order was at least insured like mine was(USPS orders are automatically insured).

Regards

sorry you had a bad experience - but frankly "Feedback rating: 547 with 98.4% positive feedback reviews" is not what I would call a fraudulent seller.

No business is perfect, but the vast majority of buyers are quite happy. If I could honestly says that 98% of my customers at BB leave happy I would be estatic - but that's a pretty high number, even with a few who were encouraged to leave positive feedeback.....

furthermore they are part of square trade and so insured to $750 against fraud - which more than i sent them for sure...

dew.

littlezipp

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2001
Just a heads up to Dew and anyone else who ordered from Liquidation Universe.
Called again today and was informed that the laptops will never come.
They claim the refund is in the mail.
Don't try to call and bitch, you will get nowhere. They will cite how they had problems with their "distributor" and how things fell through.
Dew and anyone else, don't let the $100 bribe sway your feedback for them, as I will give them a very mean one that is well deserved!

dew042

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2000
appears that i am not getting my protege - but i am getting my toshiba 2415-s205 - so i do believe their supply line was cut off.

doesn't mean i am happy....
dew.