Boot SSD - SATA Intel 730 vs. M.2 Samsung Pro 950 NVME

alexbc

Apr 22, 2016
Hi all,

I purchased an Intel 730 SATA 240GB a few mos back for a new build that I never got to do build. Now, I am building it, and wondering if I should go for the new Samsung Pro 950 PCI-E NVME instead?

This is gonna be my main PC, productivity, file server, and some gaming will be the uses, built on an Asus Z97 Pro motherboard, i7-4790 CPU. I might do some video editing and encoding here or there, but mostly it will be office work, plus some racing simulation games and 1st shooter. My docs, pics, videos, movies, music will all be on 2 sets of WD Red 3TB HDDs.

So, don't have a huge power demand, I am just the MOST IMPATIENT person, and hate waiting for things to load. So, for a Windows 10 boot drive, that will also host most apps and games, would switching to m.2 Samsung Pro 950 make a big noticeable difference? or it'd be something that won't make much of a difference in day to day use? Intel 730 is one of the fastest SATA if in 480gb size, but not sure how fast it is in 240gb...

Basically, I wanna make sure Windows OS loads in a dozen seconds; typical apps like Chrome, Photoshop, Excel, Outlook, Plex to load almost instantaneously, and for games to load quickly specially when advancing between levels.

PS. My mobo doesn't have M.2 x4, so need a card too.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I purchased an Intel 730 SATA 240GB a few mos back for a new build
would switching to m.2 Samsung Pro 950 make a big noticeable difference?
Basically, I wanna make sure Windows OS loads in a dozen seconds;
PS. My mobo doesn't have M.2 x4, so need a card too.

Honestly, you own what could quite possibly be THE best consumer SSD.

I own a Samsung 128GB SM951 PCI-E SSD, and while it scores high in sequential, random I/O isn't any better than a good SATA SSD.

alexbc

Apr 22, 2016
Honestly, you own what could quite possibly be THE best consumer SSD.

I own a Samsung 128GB SM951 PCI-E SSD, and while it scores high in sequential, random I/O isn't any better than a good SATA SSD.

Thanks. So no real life improvements, eh?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Thanks. So for boot drive, launching apps and gaming it wouldn't make a difference?

Not one that you would be able to notice, other than POST and then boot from a cold boot might take longer with a PCI-E SSD.

alexbc

Apr 22, 2016
Thanks. I guess I'll be using the 730 anyway. Probably the most reliable consumer drive anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk