Book thread! Need suggestions, let's do this!

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
I've looked at some old book threads on here, but our search functionality blows, so I'm starting a new one. Customized to me!

So here's where I'm at. Never really been one for reading books. I read a lot of shit online though, mostly informational garbage. The wife and I decided to get a nook a week ago. I'm really liking it. I started reading the only books I could think of, The Hunger Games. I'm pretty into them. I realize they are designed for a younger audience, not necessarily adults, but I do enjoy them. I wouldn't mind something a bit more adult themed with similar ideas though.

So here's what I know I like and don't like.

Like:
Sci-Fi
End of world stuff
Warfare/Battle/Action
Strategy, Politics, Wit
Fast paced
Space
Future
Governments

Dont like:
Slow paced
to much wordy creative, descriptive bullshit.

In addition to finding some good fiction books, I'd also like some non-fiction to read. There is a huge list of books and topics to choose from. A few categories that might be of interest to me.

Psychology
Sports
Investing
..... and other books that might actually provide knowledge that can aid me in everyday life.

Hopefully my criteria aren't to vague, I just don't have a clue where to start? Perhaps there is a website someone could guide me to that does a good job of providing reviews/lists of books?

And so no one bothers suggesting these, a few that are on my radar already:
Enders Game
A Brave New World
World War Z

jme5343

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2003
I've recently read the ones on your radar and would suggest these:

Post apocalyptic:

One Second After
Alas, Babylon
The Road by Cormac McCarthy (though I tried to read his other books and hated them.)
The Afterblight Chronicles

General:
Stephen King's 11/22/63
The List of 7
Farenheit 451
As hokey as you may think it is, I enjoyed the Harry Potter series. Much like the hunger games, fun and easy reading.
Percy Jackson series - same as above
The Lincoln Lawyer
Limitless
Neil Gaiman's American Gods (probably my favorite from this list)

Last edited:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Richard Marcinko's Rogue Warrior series for Spec Ops military type stuff.
Rogue Warrior and Red Cell, the original books are supposedly based on true stories and his life while the later stuff is fiction.

Terry Practhett's Discworld series for fantasy/comedy

Anything by Lord Dunsany - mostly fantasy but also has some real world fiction, autobiographies, and non-fiction.

Robert E. Howard - Conan, Solomon Kane, El Borak, etc - fantasy, historical fiction, westerns, adventure

Anything by Wilfred Theisger - non-fiction and autobiographical books of his travels in Africa and the Middle East.

Monster Hunter International series by Larry Correia - modern day monster hunter fiction (vampires, zombies, demons, werewolves, etc).

There's some good autobiographical military books out there from people in Navy Seals, Delta Force, etc.

Just a few off the top of my head.

freethnker

Jan 31, 2012
Timescape by Gregory Benford - suspenseful novel about science, time travel, and saving the earth!

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I've recently read the ones on your radar and would suggest these:

Post apocalyptic:

One Second After
Alas, Babylon
The Road by Cormac McCarthy (though I tried to read his other books and hated them.)
The Afterblight Chronicles

Add Lucifer's Hammer and I am Legend to those.

Anyone into "strategy, politics, wit" and "government" has to try Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series. Even with the downturn in AFFC and ADWD the first three books are absolute must reads.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Add Lucifer's Hammer and I am Legend to those.

Anyone into "strategy, politics, wit" and "government" has to try Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series. Even with the downturn in AFFC and ADWD the first three books are absolute must reads.

Oooh, hitting 4 categories. I'll definitely look at those then!

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Swan Song by Robert McCammon is another really good end of the world book that hasn't already been covered.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I'm a huge fan of Tom Clancy. His stuff is easy to read, fast-paced enough to keep your attention, and while he can be wordy, it's usually well done.

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
I just finished the Postman by David Brin which was a good quick read.
I also like the The name of the Wind and The Wise man's Fear which is part of The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss (though it's only on book 2 of a trilogy?)
The Passage by Justin Cronin was also good.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Eisenhorn ominbus from Dan Abnett

It is a Warhammer 40K book but doesn't require 40k knowledge. I've recommended to a few friends who knew nothing of 40k and loved it. The books (three total all in the omnibus) follow an Inquisitor named Eisenhorn who hunts demons. It spans multiple worlds and solar systems as he hunts them down and stops them from being summoned by cultist. It is sorta like a sci fi Sherlock Holmes on a more galactic scale.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
just about everyone I know who liked Hunger Games also liked the "Uglies" series. it's about a future society where everyone is made to look exactly the same through plastic surgery. (4 books in the series, but the last can be safely ignored.)

also, if you have a Kindle, checkout "Wool"... it's a series of 6 novellas. it's really, really, really great. it's about a society living inside of a nuclear fallout shelter, generations after anyone even remembers why they're there or what's outside.

Last edited:

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
just about everyone I know who liked Hunger Games also liked the "Uglies" series. it's about a future society where everyone is made to look exactly the same through plastic surgery. (4 books in the series, but the last can be safely ignored.)

also, if you have a Kindle, checkout "Wool"... it's a series of 6 novellas. it's really, really, really great. it's about a society living inside of a nuclear fallout shelter, generations after anyone even remembers why they're there or what's outside.

Ooh, Wool seems very interesting. Thanks I'll check it out.

Delita

Jan 12, 2006
About 200 pages into Stephen King's Under The Dome - and it's got me hooked...

Although it was OK, it is probably one of my least favorite King books. It made me so mad, which was probably its intent.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke. One of the most underappreciated sci-fi books of all time. Just don't expect too much from the sequels :-/

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
I'm a huge fan of Tom Clancy. His stuff is easy to read, fast-paced enough to keep your attention, and while he can be wordy, it's usually well done.

His first few books were pretty fun and entertaining. After that though he became unreadably awful.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
FUCK i tried to avoid this thread..Every time we have one i end up ordering a bunch of books from amazon. Then ignore everything and read them heh

ok is the hunger games really worth reading? now that the movie is out people keep talking about it.