Boogie2988: The 2nd Big Gaming Crash is Coming . . .

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MiataNC

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2007
Gaming is more mainstream today than ever. As an industry it will see ups and downs, but it isn't going to crash and fade away.

One aspect of current gaming that is going to murder itself is "Early Access". Too many money grabbing turds making promises they can't keep is quickly souring gamers on the idea of funding development prior to release.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Gaming is more mainstream today than ever. As an industry it will see ups and downs, but it isn't going to crash and fade away.

One aspect of current gaming that is going to murder itself is "Early Access". Too many money grabbing turds making promises they can't keep is quickly souring gamers on the idea of funding development prior to release.
This is a quality post right here, the early access thing I also agree with end up costing in the end. One problem it's got is and sorry to pick on Millennials again but they want their beta's to run like full release games when you read the steam or kickstarter forums. Honestly I think game dev's today need to wait till they have a finished game before it's released and if they do beta at all it can't be with a buy-in. It's got to be applied for and have a system that tracks the quality of tester they were before.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Back in the 80's - games were a lot easier to make and thus we were literally flooded with a lot of crap that nobody wanted to pay for.

Today - a similar trend is happening again thanks to increased power of portable devices - a select few gems in a large hill of crap games.

If anything - I think people are starting to be more selective in what games they want to buy/play.

DarkKnightDude

Mar 10, 2011
Well he has a solid point, I think indies might suffer a crash at some point, but I think AAA publishers have the money and means to get through their mediocre games.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I foresee more consolidation and mergers. I don't think half the big companies will be here at the end of the current console gen in the same manner as before.

We need a revival of the AA game size. Bigger than indie, smaller than 10m budgets. Basically the OG Xbox / PS1 / PS2 kind of lineup than a handful of massive IPs dominating along with tons of garage dev titles.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
A game with a 500 million dollar budget. Thats the problem. If it doesn't make significantly more than that in profit, its bad. Thats the kind of miscalculation that can send a company straight into full blown bankruptcy.

Destiny remade it's development budget on day 1 of release in sales.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Destiny remade it's development budget on day 1 of release in sales.

So, I did some digging on this. They did not in fact. They sold that many to retailers, not in sales. Now, I'm not clear on if they actually got the money for this yet or not (I thought this changed recently), however the same thing was said with COD Ghosts (that it passed 1B in a few days) and it didn't even come close.

It's called continuing the hype machine...since the game has been met with lukewarm reception by many, I have to imagine they may not actually make that $500m mark unless they turn out some amazing updates.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
So, I did some digging on this. They did not in fact. They sold that many to retailers, not in sales. Now, I'm not clear on if they actually got the money for this yet or not (I thought this changed recently), however the same thing was said with COD Ghosts (that it passed 1B in a few days) and it didn't even come close.

It's called continuing the hype machine...since the game has been met with lukewarm reception by many, I have to imagine they may not actually make that $500m mark unless they turn out some amazing updates.

I've read similar, though I was never excited about Destiny.

Thats the problem with the hype engine and marketing budget. If you spend half a billion dollars telling people your game is great, it damn well better be 500 million dollars worth of great. Anything less, and its a let down.

davie jambo

Feb 13, 2014

They will have normal credit terms with their distributors , so end of the month plus 30 days for payment
I'd imagine they have some kind of stock cleanse in place should the game flop though so the distributor is not left with the loss

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
30 seconds in, I don't think he knows what genre means.

I feel like there will be shifts, but the gaming industry isn't going anywhere.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
I don't see it. In a lot of ways the gaming industry is mirroring the movie industry. Huge triple A with massive budgets on one end, and tiny low budget indie titles on the other. ALL of which are very popular at the moment. The same complaints about big budget games have been leveled against big budget movies. The same praise of indie productions has been given to movies and games as well. Yet we all know the movie industry isn't going anywhere. The same goes for the gaming industry.

Now if you're calling a lot of big players in the industry miscalculating what will sell and dumping tons of money into failed projects a "crash", then that is a possibility. Some of these indie studios that are making great games would just step into that place though. Of course then they'd start making tons of cash and eventually become more or less as bad as the companies they were replacing.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
He's full or rubbish on this one.

It's the fault of the consumers, not Valve or EA. Sure Valve have created a platform to allow people to self publish games and some of them are awful, no one is forcing consumers to buy those games, it's up to consumers to use discretion when buying games, what is causing the endless stream of rubbish games is GAMERS who have no self control and pre-order rubbish before they even know if it's any good, without reading honest reviews from reliable sources.

Boogie is among the worst for this, he's done entire videos raging about the quality of games and things like microtransactions, yet he's guilty of pre-ordering those games and spending money on the microtransactions. It's people like him that encourage these business models because they work - complaining about it afterwards is pointless if you continue to buy into the business model, voting with your wallet is all the developers care about.

Rinaun

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2005
I don't agree with most of what he says because it's not comparable in today's digital era. What I do agree on is his outlook to the consumer/publishers; you guys buying Battlefield Hardline, I'm look straight at you. Stop ruining the industry by buying games that steal a franchise simply to sell more copies.