bonsai tree watering

JoPh

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
what is the proper watering schedule for a bonsai tree?

i can't seem to keep mine alive. any help?

i have a ginseng-look aka ficus macroarpa

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The proper watering schedule is: often. The shallow, loose soil dries out VERY quickly. Many people water by immersion.

It is also important to keep the humidity up. Stand the entire pot on a rock bed on a dish and put water in that dish. The evaporation will keep the humidity up in the immediate area of the tree which will slow the rapid water loss through the leaves. Misting is also helpful.

JoPh

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
water is everyday? or every other day? or just when the soil feels dry?

my leaves keep turning color and dieing.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Generally daily or perhaps every other day. Depending on the humidity. If you wait until the soil feels dry, you're probably too late.

I'm not really a Bonsai expert, though. I had to quit when I moved into a studio apartment that doesn't get eough light.

JoPh

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
Hmmmmm.. Maybe light is my issue. never really thought of that. I mean i do have it next a window but, i dont know how much direct sunlight comes in.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: JoPh
Hmmmmm.. Maybe light is my issue. never really thought of that. I mean i do have it next a window but, i dont know how much direct sunlight comes in.

I had a dwarf fig and they are supposed to be damn hardy. It was thriving in my dorm room at school, but when I moved into this apartment it eventually withered and died. I kept it on the same watering schedule. The only difference I can conceive is the lighting. Temperature can also have an effect, but I kept both rooms around 75 degrees....