Bono finally realizes AID alone does not cure poverty

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
I heard this on the radio this morning and I am shocked. I know Bono is a do gooder but he always appeared to want aid and only aid to stop poverty and we know jobs will help people get out of poverty.

from Forbes

“Job creators and innovators are just the key, and aid is just a bridge,” he told an audience of 200 leading technology entrepreneurs and investors at the F.ounders tech conference in Dublin. “We see it as startup money, investment in new countries. A humbling thing was to learn the role of commerce.”

Maybe now all that aid money will work to keep people out of poverty.

Last edited:

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
You can't help people who just don't want to help themselves, especially those still playing the "foreign exploitation" card, because those evil foreigners told them a century ago before leaving to breed like rabbits to overpopulate the land. Giving them money only deepens them into their hole and generates even more hypocritical resentment when that aid is stopped.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2006
"A humbling thing was to learn the role of commerce.”

At least he's honest about his prior naivety. I admire Bono...he is genuine and passionate. But it sure took him a helluva long time to figure out the importance of commerce in battling poverty.

Last edited:

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I must have missed the memo about Bono caring only about "AID". Is this something Fox News and/or Rush Limbaugh told you?

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
I must have missed the memo about Bono caring only about "AID". Is this something Fox News and/or Rush Limbaugh told you?

I only remember Bono asking United Nations, G7, etc for aid to fight poverty in Africa. If he does other things which i am sure he does i have not heard about it. But I do believe he is most associated with AID to fight poverty. What other tools does he use besides aid?

edit: why do I keep capitalizing aid?

Last edited:

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Without the proper infrastructure, government, education, resources, etc. of course there will still be poverty. Aid can mean many different things. Just because all problems can't be solved by forking over money doesn't mean that we must drop trou and grab our ankles for the nearest "job creator".

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Without the proper infrastructure, government, education, resources, etc. of course there will still be poverty. Aid can mean many different things. Just because all problems can't be solved by forking over money doesn't mean that we must drop trou and grab our ankles for the nearest "job creator".

Exactly, I remember seeing a John Stoshal special talking about some place in Africa where people were not allowed to own land and they showed these huts for merchants to sell their goods, but since they did not own the land and the government was known to destroy the huts, they would never expand and never grow jobs. So you are right there are a lot of things needed to get rid of poverty.

Nov 30, 2006
Was someone suggesting this? Hell, I'm not even sure what you meant by saying that. Please elaborate.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
You can grant a genie to pour 1 trillion dollars into Africa and people will still be in poverty.

Only the top will have it.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Was someone suggesting this? Hell, I'm not even sure what you meant by saying that. Please elaborate.

It was a response to a line in the Forbes article.

“Job creators and innovators are just the key, and aid is just a bridge,”

We already coddle "job creators" here to no effect. I was merely cautioning against advocating the same kind of trickle-down policies in that part of the world too.

Nov 30, 2006

We already coddle "job creators" here to no effect. I was merely cautioning against advocating the same kind of trickle-down policies in that part of the world too.
Just how do we coddle "job creators"? And how will"coddling" them result in an ineffective solution to poverty issues in Botswana for example? I'm not sure where you're coming from.

Anyway, it appears that Bono has finally come to the realization that free money wealth redistribution isn't effective when it comes to fighting poverty on any kind of sustainable basis. Simply put, commerce (aka job creators) is needed to break the poverty cycle.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
I thought the title said "Bono finally realizes AIDS alone does not cure poverty"

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002

When i think Africa job creators i think mom and pop shops and not trickle down economics.