Boldly going Free 2 Play (Where several others have gone before) - Star Trek Online

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I feel silly having paid for like 18 months an not playing at all most of them. I got to level 16. I only finally canceled about a month ago.

I wonder how the regular players feel about this, and the lifetime subscribers about the benefit they'll get.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
I feel silly having paid for like 18 months an not playing at all most of them. I got to level 16. I only finally canceled about a month ago.

I wonder how the regular players feel about this, and the lifetime subscribers about the benefit they'll get.

I asked Hellgate players that, and they generally felt they got their money's worth. Even though they didn't. People wear blinders.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
Awesome, I bought this for $5 during the Xmas sale for when it went F2P. Good to know :)

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
If they feel they did... they did.

They didn't. The lifetime subscriptions for these games cover the cost of at least 4 expansions, and they never get them. They could have paid the same as anyone else and got the SAME GAME, but instead they paid MORE for PROMISED content that was never delivered.

Technically speaking, they did not get what they paid for.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I paid full price at launch for STO and ended up playing three months over two time periods.

It was a good, fun game and I enjoyed my time there. It was however lacking content, clunky and restricted in various areas.

If I had to go back in time, I'd have still picked it up, still played it and still enjoyed it... but I'd have waited until it was in the bargain bin.

They didn't. The lifetime subscriptions for these games cover the cost of at least 4 expansions, and they never get them. They could have paid the same as anyone else and got the SAME GAME, but instead they paid MORE for PROMISED content that was never delivered.

You cannot compare something like LoTRO or STO, which charged a monthly subscription fee, to Hellgate: London which did not.

Most people who I know that have purchased Lifetime Subscriptions do so because they love the game and foresee themselves playing for a long time and they pay for their enjoyment. If they enjoyed the game for the length of time it was going then they got their monies worth, expansion pack(s) or not.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I paid full price at launch for STO and ended up playing three months over two time periods.

It was a good, fun game and I enjoyed my time there. It was however lacking content, clunky and restricted in various areas.

If I had to go back in time, I'd have still picked it up, still played it and still enjoyed it... but I'd have waited until it was in the bargain bin.

You cannot compare something like LoTRO or STO, which charged a monthly subscription fee, to Hellgate: London which did not.

Most people who I know that have purchased Lifetime Subscriptions do so because they love the game and foresee themselves playing for a long time and they pay for their enjoyment. If they enjoyed the game for the length of time it was going then they got their monies worth, expansion pack(s) or not.

Didn't hellgate london have a premium account that cost monthly?

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005

The lifetime subscription is $300. Monthly subscriptions are $15. For those who had a lifetime subscription from day one, they're only down $15 right now, and will continue to have the subscriber bonus for as long as the game runs. How is that not getting what they paid for?

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
I would definately play once in a while in the pvp arenas. If they would have had more vareity in that stuff early with the different classes I would have stayed.

Looking forward to flying around making noobs blind with my engi and seeing them rage about not seeing me..

Kahplah!

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Glad I got into beta to test this game out and figured it to be a turd then. 0 regrets that it is now free to play as it hasn't cost me a dime or my time either way.