BOINC resource-sharing question

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
I've always been a single-project kinda guy, but the recent Rosetta outage inspired me to spread out a bit. I don't know all the ins and outs of the resource-sharing settings, here's one I couldn't seem to find an answer for on BOINC's website: I have 3 projects shared 50 each (33% each), and one of those projects hardly ever has work. In the event that one project is inactive, will the other two automatically share 50/50? Also, the 'sparse' project's WUs are short, any way to make BOINC 'jump on them and get them done' when work is available?

thanks.
JC

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Yes, when one project of the three has no work, the others share the resources 50/50.

To get more attention for the sparse project set its number way up above 100, say 600. This will give it 75% of the resources and 12.5% to each of the others.

--Fred

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Hmm...well, something's not right :confused:

BOINC let my Rosetta queue run down to zero, then kicked over to Einstein, and doesn't seem to want to request any more Rosetta WUs :(

What am I doing wrong here?

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Probably nothing: BOINC checks the "due-date" and calculates when and how many other WUs your computer can take care of.
The Einstein WUs crunch for a long time (and give a lot of credits: 400 - 670 credits/WU) and therefore your queue for the other projects may run down to zero when you get close to the Einstein's WU's deadline.