BOINC Pentathlon 2022

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lane42

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
Einstein not loading for me, (site) Ill try again later.
Got it.

Last edited:

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Only thing left to announce is a bonus day for Universe. There are to be 3 of them, correct?

Would be most disruptive if it started the same day as a Javelin Toss.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Only thing left to announce is a bonus day for Universe. There are to be 3 of them, correct?

Would be most disruptive if it started the same day as a Javelin Toss.

Yes there is one more. Wouldn't bother us if it's on the Javelin Toss, I kind of hope it is.

Reactions: Orange Kid

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I've got 5.3 kW going currently, which are cooled away quite decently.
Open windows, a strategically placed curtain between me and the machines, one 15" fan pulling and two 9" fans pushing and that's it. And: Noise canceling headphones FTW!

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
I've got 5.3 kW going currently, which are cooled away quite decently.
Open windows, a strategically placed curtain between me and the machines, one 15" fan pulling and two 9" fans pushing and that's it. And: Noise canceling headphones FTW!

I also have a couple fans strategically placed in windows and at the open door. Trying to get the hot air moved out and the hot, but not as hot outside air moving in. It's not comfortable here at all. I should put my gaming headphones on. lol

only 80 in here and doors and windows open, but my AC is on !

I'm trying not to run my AC. My power bill is already gonna be heavy this month.

• Wow
Reactions: cellarnoise

Emploi

May 7, 2022
... My power bill is already gonna be heavy this month.
How much does electricity cost you? We are currently paying 30 cents per kilowatt hour to 69 cents/kwh, at the current exchange rate 1€=$1

pututu

Jul 1, 2017
Nice price, after all we are the world market leader when it comes to electricity prices... https://de.globalpetrolprices.com/electricity_prices/ We also manage to outbid the Cayman Islands, Denmark and Bermuda.:laughing:

I live in California and my electricity is provided by PG&E. Currently in winter period (Oct to May), I'm soon going to pay $0.38/$0.39 (off-peak/on-peak) above my baseline allocation, all due to pentathlon :sweatsmile: . Usually I'm below baseline. Coming next summer (Jun to Sep), the rate above the baseline will jump to $0.43/$0.51, so I've to stay below the baseline and pay $0.34/$0.42

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
NumberFields is done for us. Everyone switch to running Universe on everything including the kitchen toaster.
Aye aye sir! I'm now also crunching Universe on my admin workstation ;) Also looking for other old but still seaworthy systems that might be worth turning on...

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
You really notice it's bonus day at the pentathlon when you're system runs out of tasks and the server refuses to give you new tasks because you have too many pending uploads... Great! Then just take the tasks I'm trying to upload all day :D Maybe they need more of these near-magic SSDs? ;)

Empty CPU queues for hours, uploads not working, what a waste of runtime... And I only have this tiny system... What a joy this must be with half a data center in your house...

At least I have enough tasks for the GPU (Einstein), and there the uploads are OK.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I understand that it is the client itself which ceases to request new work if there is a certain number of pending uploads of a given project.

The server OTOH would not assign new tasks if a host's number of tasks in progress exceeds a certain limit. Similar effect, but as things are currently going, the mentioned client-side limit is more probable to kick in.

I on the other hand have enough tasks for the rest of the contest, loaded before the Obstacle day. Well, actually it's less than "enough" in terms of remaining computing time, because it's pretty certain that there won't be very much opportunity for uploads anymore before the contest ends.

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
I understand that it is the client itself which ceases to request new work if there is a certain number of pending uploads of a given project.
Yeah, you're absolutely right, I just checked again and I didn't see the "not requesting tasks" part in the logs :D

...because it's pretty certain that there won't be very much opportunity for uploads anymore before the contest ends.
I'm hoping I'll get all these completed tasks at least up there before the event ends.

Overall, I really like the "obstacle run" idea. We just need a more resilient project for that.