Boehner contradicts himself on interest payments

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
12-19-2012

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...mmicks-once-embraced-232025016--politics.html

In ‘fiscal cliff’ debate, Boehner condemns accounting gimmicks he once embraced

Boehner's fiscal cliff contradiction

The House Speaker criticizes the White House for an accounting practice he once embraced.

Republican House Speaker John Boehner says the White House is exaggerating the spending cuts achieved in its latest “fiscal cliff” offer by including the lower interest payments on the national debt that would result from the cuts.

He might want to talk to…House Speaker John Boehner, circa June 2009.

That’s when Boehner condemned the price tag on President Barack Obama’s economic stimulus package, pointing to the added cost to the government of paying interest on the money borrowed to fund the package.

Democrats in Congress pushed through the stimulus plan in 2009 with an estimated cost of about $800 billion. House Republicans unanimously opposed the plan, and Boehner said its true cost was much higher because of interest payments.

“If you think about where we’ve been this year, we had the nearly trillion-dollar stimulus plan, when you look at the interest that’s going to be paid on it,” he said in a June 17, 2009, floor speech.

Boehner could also have a chat with House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan, who attacked the stimulus plan on the same grounds. Ryan argued that the interest that would have incurred on billions borrowed to pay for the stimulus should count in the overall cost of the measure.

“We are about to vote on a trillion-dollar spending package,” Ryan warned in a January 27, 2009, speech. “Yes, a trillion dollars, because the Congressional Budget Office just told us today (that) just to pay for the interest on this bill is another $350 billion.”

So why don’t Congressional Republicans apply the same rule to Obama’s fiscal cliff offer?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
No surprise. Republicans are hypocrites 110% through and through.

Just look at the posts by the resident Republicans in here, they want it both ways all the time too.

They learned well from their masters.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011

Just look at the posts by the resident Republicans in here, they want it both ways all the time too.

/trolling

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001

So the ONLY time you can account for the interest is when you don't have to pay it?
The interest total was NOT included in the numbers then so why should it be now? (using your example) Your buddy also said that raising the debt ceiling was a sign of bad planning too before he was prez, and now he wants complete control over it so that he ( and the next residents) can raise it at will. I could go on and on and on, but you get the picture. If you are going to rag on someone for something, for it to really mean something you should ignore the letter after their name, else it just makes you like a partisan hack.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
So the ONLY time you can account for the interest is when you don't have to pay it?
The interest total was NOT included in the numbers then so why should it be now? (using your example) Your buddy also said that raising the debt ceiling was a sign of bad planning too before he was prez, and now he wants complete control over it so that he ( and the next residents) can raise it at will. I could go on and on and on, but you get the picture. If you are going to rag on someone for something, for it to really mean something you should ignore the letter after their name, else it just makes you like a partisan hack.

Spin and divert. You work for Rush or Hannity?

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
Spin and divert. You work for Rush or Hannity?

What the hell are you talking about? So when someone points out your bent, you come back with: I know you are but what am I? Nice. I was doing nothing more than pointing out that you bitching about Boehner, is exactly what you are claiming Boehner of doing. Picking a current event and ignoring every thing anyone has ever done. When someone does that I label then a partisan hack and ignore there musings. But every once in a while I do get a kick out of pointing it out them and watching them fling their own poo about. :) If you are going to bitch about something and expect to be respected, bitch about it regardless of who says or does it.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
What the hell are you talking about? So when someone points out your bent, you come back with: I know you are but what am I? Nice. I was doing nothing more than pointing out that you bitching about Boehner, is exactly what you are claiming Boehner of doing. Picking a current event and ignoring every thing anyone has ever done. When someone does that I label then a partisan hack and ignore there musings. But every once in a while I do get a kick out of pointing it out them and watching them fling their own poo about. :) If you are going to bitch about something and expect to be respected, bitch about it regardless of who says or does it.

Still spinning and diverting. FYI you lost the election.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
When you buy a discretionary or luxury good (e.g. a high-end video card or big screen TV), do you say that you spent $5k on it or that you saved $500 because it was on sale? And in the case of Obama's proposed stimulus, it's more like buying a set of Monster Cables since it's both overpriced and provides no additional benefit whatsoever.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
SNC before you reply to this please know that Mcowen is literally incapable of putting forth a cogent argument, cohesively written consisting of multiple sentences. Search his posts--there has never been a single one. That is why his response is so clipped and trolly; he cannot offer more. Please do not expect more.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
When you buy a discretionary or luxury good (e.g. a high-end video card or big screen TV), do you say that you spent $5k on it or that you saved $500 because it was on sale? And in the case of Obama's proposed stimulus, it's more like buying a set of Monster Cables since it's both overpriced and provides no additional benefit whatsoever.
When you buy that monster cable with a credit card, do you say you spent $X on it or do you say you spent $X + total interest once you pay it off?

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006

You know what your biggest problem is . Your clueless. You vote party . That is stupid . You vote for the man . Problem is In the last 8 election we have not had a man who was good enough to run . They are all handpicked and not by us . How is it that every president of the USA except one is related to the British thrown . How is it we are tied so closely to a people who clearly are the greatest suppressors of human rights in the history of the world . How is it that we can talk of britts without becomeing ill. I am so pleased no british blood runs in my family . The day that New England is washed from the land that day will be a good day for mankind in general.MAN I hate the Robin hood story. Many britts actually believe that arthor is returning to bring britian the destroyer back to a golden age.

The USA is nothing more than a puppet of the crown which is controlled by the house of Rothschild . Same with germany france USA and israel . All belong to House of Rothschild . Read history to discover wizard of OZ.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
When you buy that monster cable with a credit card, do you say you spent $X on it or do you say you spent $X + total interest once you pay it off?

If you were to be accurate, you'd spending until it's paid off. Then you could say you "spent" x. But people never seem to care about the real cost - thus the housing and credit crisis.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
12-19-2012

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...mmicks-once-embraced-232025016--politics.html

-snip-

Dumb article.

Yes, it is correct to point out that when spending is accomplished by borrowing it is going to actually cost more because of the interest costs.

No, it is incorrect to claim savings from interest in just one part of an economic package - the 'cuts' side - while not including it in the 'spending' side. E.g., Obama wants $50 billion for "infrastructure", does that include the interest costs too? We all know it doesn't.

Fern

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i don't think you can really take credit for saving interest when those interest savings are something not really under your control. that struck me as odd when i read the article on the planned compromise yesterday morning.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
12-19-2012

Boehner's fiscal cliff contradiction

The House Speaker criticizes the White House for an accounting practice he once embraced.

Republican House Speaker John Boehner says the White House is exaggerating the spending cuts achieved in its latest “fiscal cliff” offer by including the lower interest payments on the national debt that would result from the cuts.

He might want to talk to…House Speaker John Boehner, circa June 2009.

That’s when Boehner condemned the price tag on President Barack Obama’s economic stimulus package, pointing to the added cost to the government of paying interest on the money borrowed to fund the package.

Democrats in Congress pushed through the stimulus plan in 2009 with an estimated cost of about $800 billion. House Republicans unanimously opposed the plan, and Boehner said its true cost was much higher because of interest payments.

“If you think about where we’ve been this year, we had the nearly trillion-dollar stimulus plan, when you look at the interest that’s going to be paid on it,” he said in a June 17, 2009, floor speech.

Boehner could also have a chat with House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan, who attacked the stimulus plan on the same grounds. Ryan argued that the interest that would have incurred on billions borrowed to pay for the stimulus should count in the overall cost of the measure.

“We are about to vote on a trillion-dollar spending package,” Ryan warned in a January 27, 2009, speech. “Yes, a trillion dollars, because the Congressional Budget Office just told us today (that) just to pay for the interest on this bill is another $350 billion.”

So why don’t Congressional Republicans apply the same rule to Obama’s fiscal cliff offer?

Wait, wouldn't that mean that both Boehner AND Obama are hypocrites at the very least???

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

The Federal Government NEVER pays its debt off so yes the additional debt servicing cost (lets say on a decade basis) should be included. It is a cost that everyone knows will be incurred although the exact costs will have to be calculated due to the short duration currently on our debt. Still, even basing it on current 10 year bond rates would be better than nothing.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Wheepnig Jonn Boehner wheeps for only one master, namely the very Rich. As his latest proposal seeks to prevent any tax increases for anyone making more than a million dollars rather than a mere 250K per year.

As we know who the bell tools for and who weeping John Boenher weeps for. 12 days and counting, will weeping John Boehner take this country over the fiscal cliff with the same Romney pie in the sky fantasies the American electorate already voted against?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Wait, wouldn't that mean that both Boehner AND Obama are hypocrites at the very least???
No.

Obama calculates it one way.
Boehner cries saying it should be done the other way.
Obama does future calculations the other way because that is what Boehner asked for.
Boehner cries saying now it should be done the original way.

Only one hypocrite here. Boehner.