Bob Costas goes on Gun Control tirade during Sunday Night Half-Time Show

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Ok, so get rid of all regulation (because it is pointless) of machine guns, grenades, large caliber weapons, chemical/biological agents.

Right?

Yes. Do you honestly believe those regulations keep you safe?

There are flamethrowers and machine guns legally privately owned and have there have been for decades. How many murders are committed by flamethrower?

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
No, but you'd sound like an idiot if you went around saying "I am taking yours to Rite Aid" like it is it's own, independent idea.

The first clause goes to context.

Yes, and the context is: we believe a well regulated militia is essential to the security of a free State.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
How many murders are committed by flamethrower?

I suddenly realized, not NEARLY enough!

If someone's going to murder some people anyway, I'd really like to see them put some effort into having a little pizazz, some flare.

A flamethrower attack would be just what the doctor ordered.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
So Don and Zin are righties huh. You're an idiot. (oh and a truther which is 7 levels of hell lower)

Saying someone is going into that territory, "righty conspiracy world", is not the same as saying they are right wing shills. So thanks for joining in but you can crawl back into your cave now.

Oh and I'm not a truther, I just was actually awake and paying attention when 9/11 happened. WTC 7 was reported as "being pulled" a full half hour before it was. You cannot deny that. If you want to bury your head in the sand then that's fine with me. I'm just telling people exactly what happened. There is no disputing that tower 7 was still standing when multiple news outlets reported it as being pulled.

If that makes me an idiot, it makes you a fucking sheep. I'd rather be an idiot with my eyes open than a sheep with farmer Bush's dick in my asshole.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Yes. Do you honestly believe those regulations keep you safe?

There are flamethrowers and machine guns legally privately owned and have there have been for decades. How many murders are committed by flamethrower?

Thank you, that is the answer I was looking for.

To answer your question, yes, I do feel safer when criminally insane people and convicted felons cannot buy automatic rifles. I do feel safer when chemical and biological agents are not available to any disgruntled employee that feels like it would be a more efficient way to clear out their old office building.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Thank you, that is the answer I was looking for.

To answer your question, yes, I do feel safer when criminally insane people and convicted felons cannot buy automatic rifles. I do feel safer when chemical and biological agents are not available to any disgruntled employee that feels like it would be a more efficient way to clear out their old office building.

Those same prohibitions were in place when Holmes shot up a movie theater, terrorists crashed an airliner into the twin towers, and a crazy was mailing Anthrax to congressmen.

It's a good thing those laws are there to protect us.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
So calmly presenting an opinion on TV now qualifies as a tirade? lol...

404: Tirade not found

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Those same prohibitions were in place when Holmes shot up a movie theater, terrorists crashed an airliner into the twin towers, and a crazy was mailing Anthrax to congressmen.

It's a good thing those laws are there to protect us.

I agree. Once my house got broken into so I took all the locks off it since clearly they weren't doing anything.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
It's a tirade if the OP doesn't agree with it. If he does then it's the most eloquent presentation of undeniable fact.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Only a fool would say otherwise. I don't personally believe the answer to this is more gun control, but can't we at least have a dialogue on this?

Sure we can have a dialogue about this.... but not during my football game. Put in into the real world equivalent of P&N, not during the halftime show of a football game.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I wonder if the producers were like "Watch what you say Bob, you could Costas a lot of viewers!"

Heyooooo!

Sorry, that was really bad.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Sure we can have a dialogue about this.... but not during my football game. Put in into the real world equivalent of P&N, not during the halftime show of a football game.

why not? it obviously worked....people are listening and, well, "discussing," such as it is. that is the point of message-spreading.

Otherwise, you prefer it somewhere where you will never have to hear it.

That's exactly what you mean when you say, "sorry, this is the wrong time!"

That means nothing, and you know it. The only appropriate time for you is when you don't have to hear it, because any time you do, it will make you equally angry, and you will still believe that there is no room for discussion on the matter whether or not you are willing to admit it.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
why not? it obviously worked....people are listening and, well, "discussing," such as it is. that is the point of message-spreading.

That means nothing, and you know it. The only appropriate time for you is when you don't have to hear it, because any time you do, it will make you equally angry, and you will still believe that there is no room for discussion on the matter whether or not you are willing to admit it.

Discuss it all you want but it will not be changed in this democracy. As I said before, the majority of Americans have already spoken on this issue after the Batman shooting and the Constitution won the day. As it always should.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

There is plenty of time and place to have discussions about whatever the issues are, but I don't need to hear it from some dope who's opinion is completely worthless to me regardless of what it is. I tune into a football game to watch football and hear analysis of football. Not to hear some blowhard give me his stupid political opinions. Even if I agreed with what he said, I would still say STFU and take it to the right venue.

I'm sure NBC is fielding a lot of negative blowback from his little idiotic rant, and I certainly won't be watching the halftime show anymore (if a lot of people do that it means dropped advertising money).

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
There is plenty of time and place to have discussions about whatever the issues are, but I don't need to hear it from some dope who's opinion is completely worthless to me regardless of what it is. I tune into a football game to watch football and hear analysis of football. Not to hear some blowhard give me his stupid political opinions. Even if I agreed with what he said, I would still say STFU and take it to the right venue.

I'm sure NBC is fielding a lot of negative blowback from his little idiotic rant, and I certainly won't be watching the halftime show anymore (if a lot of people do that it means dropped advertising money).

I'm sure his opinion has worth to you if it's about sports. Which is what it should have remained.

I feel he is welcome to his opinion and welcome to express it. I don't think he should've done it when he did. The NFL generally tries to keep itself out of politics for the most part. It's impossible to control everything said by an employee when they have a live microphone (even if Costas isn't employed by the actial NFL, he's a representative when on the air for a game). I'm sure the NFL isn't happy about his rant regardless of their stance on the issue of gun control. Has the NFL had any response to this, I haven't paid attention too much.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
I'm sure his opinion has worth to you if it's about sports. Which is what it should have remained.

I feel he is welcome to his opinion and welcome to express it. I don't think he should've done it when he did. The NFL generally tries to keep itself out of politics for the most part. It's impossible to control everything said by an employee when they have a live microphone (even if Costas isn't employed by the actial NFL, he's a representative when on the air for a game). I'm sure the NFL isn't happy about his rant regardless of their stance on the issue of gun control. Has the NFL had any response to this, I haven't paid attention too much.

They're too busy trying to get rid of kick-offs to help with their head injury lawsuit. Shocking that someone can shoot themselves in the foot and then sue the weapon manufacturer these days.

Derp, I played football and got head injuries and now you make me multi-millionaire. Typical.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Discuss it all you want but it will not be changed in this democracy. As I said before, the majority of Americans have already spoken on this issue after the Batman shooting and the Constitution won the day. As it always should.

I'm not anti-2nd amendment, but you guys really need to grab a clue about the purpose and intent of the constitution.

the utter sacredness of this amendment in the minds of many in this country has only existed for about 3 decades now. You think the people speak and only have ever spoken this way, but not a single person gave a rat's ass about it for the vast majority of our history.

If you think amendments are infallible, if the constitution is where the buck stops, then you really need to school yourself on constitutional history.

your argument has simply been: "It is in the constitution, therefore no discussion or debate can be had."

well, if that were the case, then all the Tea Baggers should shut their filthy pie holes because the 13th Amendment is, as you say, infallible.

Well, turn in your fucking booze because the 18th amendment says you are a criminal for possessing any amount---

:hmm:

Oh wait....I guess that one was repealed.

odd, it seems precedent shows that constitutional amendments are, very much, up for debate.

well kiss my grits. Is that why we have the Supreme Court? Oh yeah....that is the purpose of the Supreme Court.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm not anti-2nd amendment, but you guys really need to grab a clue about the purpose and intent of the constitution.

the utter sacredness of this amendment in the minds of many in this country has only existed for about 3 decades now. You think the people speak and only have ever spoken this way, but not a single person gave a rat's ass about it for the vast majority of our history.

If you think amendments are infallible, if the constitution is where the buck stops, then you really need to school yourself on constitutional history.

your argument has simply been: "It is in the constitution, therefore no discussion or debate can be had."

well, if that were the case, then all the Tea Baggers should shut their filthy pie holes because the 13th Amendment is, as you say, infallible.

Well, turn in your fucking booze because the 18th amendment says you are a criminal for possessing any amount---

Oh wait....I guess that one was repealed.

odd, it seems precedent shows that constitutional amendments are, very much, up for debate.

well kiss my grits. Is that why we have the Supreme Court? Oh yeah....that is the purpose of the Supreme Court.

Just like the 18th, if popular opinion has swayed to strict gun control then the 2nd should be repealed.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Just like the 18th, if popular opinion has swayed to strict gun control then the 2nd should be repealed.

perhaps.

My only point is that the constitution is not inherently infallible. It is designed to be debated. That is the entire purpose of our republic.

Of course, there are some ultra-nationalists in this country who want to treat this nation as a dictatorship, bound singly to some inerrant 250-year old document drafted by slave-owners that, amazingly, understood the necessary progress of social values within the progress of time.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
perhaps.

My only point is that the constitution is not inherently infallible. It is designed to be debated. That is the entire purpose of our republic.

Of course, there are some ultra-nationalists in this country who want to treat this nation as a dictatorship, bound singly to some inerrant 250-year old document drafted by slave-owners that, amazingly, understood the necessary progress of social values within the progress of time.

Yes, they did. Which is why they gave us the options within the document to change it. I'm not opposed to changing it, I believe in democracy.

I am opposed to people who pretend that blue is red simply because they're too lazy to effect change. The second says what it says. It's not outdated or antiquated or dilapidated. It is still in full effect. Amend it or remove it if you don't like it.

It wouldn't be the first time in history where the people voted via referendum to move towards a dictatorship.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It wouldn't be the first time in history where the people voted via referendum to move towards a dictatorship.

are you saying that's what will happen if the 2nd is repealed?

I'm not sure that is the case--considering that every other developed nation in this world without such a law is also not a dictatorship.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
are you saying that's what will happen if the 2nd is repealed?

I'm not sure that is the case--considering that every other developed nation in this world without such a law is also not a dictatorship.

He's just a drama queen. It's the only way you can get a majority of people behind obscenely stupid gun policies.