Bob Barr - Who is this guy?

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
If you love liberty...

You will NOT vote for this guy. He's the quintessential politician. Pander for votes and power. After a few minutes of research I've found out the following about his "former positions".

Source

Barr was originally a strong supporter of the War on Drugs, reflecting his previous experience as an Anti-Drug Coordinator for the Department of Justice.[7] While in Congress, he was a member of the Speaker's Task Force for a Drug-Free America.[28] This task force was established in 1998 by then-Speaker Newt Gingrich to "design a World War II-style victory plan to save America's children from illegal drugs."[29] The task force crafted legislation specifically designed to "win the War on Drugs by 2002".[29]

Barr advocated complete federal prohibition of medical marijuana. In 1998, He successfully blocked implementation of Initiative 59?the "Legalization of Marijuana for Medical Treatment Initiative of 1998"?which would have legalized medical marijuana in the District of Columbia (DC).[32] The "Barr Amendment" to the 1999 Omnibus spending bill not only blocked implementation of Initiative 59 but prohibited the vote tally from even being released.[32][33] Nearly a year passed before a lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union eventually revealed the initiative had received 69 percent of the vote.[34] In response to the judge's ruling, Barr simply attached another "Barr Amendment" to the 2000 Omnibus spending bill that overturned Initiative 59 outright.[35] The Barr Amendment also prohibited future laws that would "decrease the penalties for marijuana or other Schedule I drugs" in Washington, DC.[36] This preemptively blocked future attempts by Marijuana Policy Project (MPP) to reform marijuana laws in DC via the initiative process.[36] In March 2002, U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan struck down this portion of the Barr Amendment as being an unconstitutional restriction on free speech.[36][37] Barr's response to the ruling was defiant:

Clearly, the court today has ignored the constitutional right and responsibility of Congress to pass laws protecting citizens from dangerous and addictive narcotics, and the right of Congress to exert legislative control over the District of Columbia as the nation's capital.
?Bob Barr, March 28 2002

Barr took a lead in legislative debate concerning same-sex marriage. He authored and sponsored the Defense of Marriage Act, a law enacted in 1996 which states that only marriages that are between a man and a woman can be federally recognized, and individual states may choose not to recognize a same-sex marriage performed in another state.

He voted for the Patriot Act, but only after his amendments adding "sunset clauses" were added to the final bill.[47][48] Barr played a similar role during the debate over Bill Clinton's Comprehensive Anti-terrorism Act of 1995, crafting pro-civil liberties amendments to the original text.[49] He now publicly regrets his Patriot Act vote.

Religious freedom

In Congress, he also controversially proposed that the Pentagon ban the practice of Wicca in the military

This is the Libertarian Candidate? Are you fucking kidding me? His rap sheet shows he is nothing more than someone who wants a position of authority. I'm sorry but you need a better record than that to run as the libertarian candidate IMO. If you love liberty, you won't be voting for this shape shifter. :disgust:

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Sinsear
Originally posted by: bamacre
But he's better than McCain.

But he's against weed. How will you make it without your life force?

So is McCain. And, btw, I don't smoke weed, but thanks for assuming. ;)

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002

But see, you're just saying that cause he's a third party candidate. He truly isn't better. At best, its a toss up.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Excelsior

But see, you're just saying that cause he's a third party candidate. He truly isn't better. At best, its a toss up.

I cannot think of one thing that makes McCain better.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
If you love liberty...

You will NOT vote for this guy. He's the quintessential politician. Pander for votes and power. After a few minutes of research I've found out the following about his "former positions".

Source

Barr was originally a strong supporter of the War on Drugs, reflecting his previous experience as an Anti-Drug Coordinator for the Department of Justice.[7] While in Congress, he was a member of the Speaker's Task Force for a Drug-Free America.[28] This task force was established in 1998 by then-Speaker Newt Gingrich to "design a World War II-style victory plan to save America's children from illegal drugs."[29] The task force crafted legislation specifically designed to "win the War on Drugs by 2002".[29]

Barr advocated complete federal prohibition of medical marijuana. In 1998, He successfully blocked implementation of Initiative 59?the "Legalization of Marijuana for Medical Treatment Initiative of 1998"?which would have legalized medical marijuana in the District of Columbia (DC).[32] The "Barr Amendment" to the 1999 Omnibus spending bill not only blocked implementation of Initiative 59 but prohibited the vote tally from even being released.[32][33] Nearly a year passed before a lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union eventually revealed the initiative had received 69 percent of the vote.[34] In response to the judge's ruling, Barr simply attached another "Barr Amendment" to the 2000 Omnibus spending bill that overturned Initiative 59 outright.[35] The Barr Amendment also prohibited future laws that would "decrease the penalties for marijuana or other Schedule I drugs" in Washington, DC.[36] This preemptively blocked future attempts by Marijuana Policy Project (MPP) to reform marijuana laws in DC via the initiative process.[36] In March 2002, U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan struck down this portion of the Barr Amendment as being an unconstitutional restriction on free speech.[36][37] Barr's response to the ruling was defiant:

Clearly, the court today has ignored the constitutional right and responsibility of Congress to pass laws protecting citizens from dangerous and addictive narcotics, and the right of Congress to exert legislative control over the District of Columbia as the nation's capital.
?Bob Barr, March 28 2002

Barr took a lead in legislative debate concerning same-sex marriage. He authored and sponsored the Defense of Marriage Act, a law enacted in 1996 which states that only marriages that are between a man and a woman can be federally recognized, and individual states may choose not to recognize a same-sex marriage performed in another state.

He voted for the Patriot Act, but only after his amendments adding "sunset clauses" were added to the final bill.[47][48] Barr played a similar role during the debate over Bill Clinton's Comprehensive Anti-terrorism Act of 1995, crafting pro-civil liberties amendments to the original text.[49] He now publicly regrets his Patriot Act vote.

Religious freedom

In Congress, he also controversially proposed that the Pentagon ban the practice of Wicca in the military

This is the Libertarian Candidate? Are you fucking kidding me? His rap sheet shows he is nothing more than someone who wants a position of authority. I'm sorry but you need a better record than that to run as the libertarian candidate IMO. If you love liberty, you won't be voting for this shape shifter. :disgust:

Thanks, I will be taking your advise.

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Sinsear

But he's against weed. How will you make it without your life force?

He was against drugs, but now he doesn't support the drug war. He is for decriminalizing drug use on a federal level. However, Libertarians are still very weary because of his anti-drug legislation in the past..

Praxis1452

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2006
I don't think it's really possible to expect any electable presidential candidate to actually believe in everything they will do. The better ones generally do so because they said they would.

Jorock McBama

Banned
Jul 25, 2008
I completely agree with you. I was well aware of his past positions, and would have a very difficult time trusting someone with that type of history. I wanted to vote for the Libertarian Party this year, but now I am really at a loss for what to do. I might even end up writing a name in on the ballot. I considered it blasphemy and shook my head as soon as I heard he was the nominee. Even if he truly did change his positions, I practically consider it criminal for anyone to hold such traitorous views as he once did.

Capitalizt

Banned
Nov 28, 2004
I've been following Barr and he has been moving further and further toward the Libertarian side of things for years now.. It's possible that he has truly seen the error of his ways.. I was a huge Bushbot in 2000/2001 but have since learned and grown. I realize how dangerous neoconservatism is to this country and now consider myself 100% Libertarian.

Why can't Bob Barr have done the same? Give him a chance to correct the mistakes of his past. He is certainly the best alternative we have right now.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Heh even the 3rd parties cant find qualified decent candidates. This guy is not what he claims to be. Nobody does what he has then has an epiphany one day and decides to be the opposite of what they were.

On a side note and this will inflict Godwins law.
The guy looks like Heinrich Himmler. Who was a complete weasal even by Nazi standards.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Capitalizt
I've been following Barr and he has been moving further and further toward the Libertarian side of things for years now.. It's possible that he has truly seen the error of his ways.. I was a huge Bushbot in 2000/2001 but have since learned and grown. I realize how dangerous neoconservatism is to this country and now consider myself 100% Libertarian.

Why can't Bob Barr have done the same? Give him a chance to correct the mistakes of his past. He is certainly the best alternative we have right now.

Nobody said you can't move from a conservative to a libertarian point of view, I just question whether that person is really qualified to by the presidential candidate for the party.