Board / Card Games

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
I recently got into card and board games (thank you Meetup).

I played the following:
- Love Letter
- Guillotine
- Avalon
- Betrayal at House on the Hill
- The Bullet
- Castle Panic
- Power Grid
- Lords of Waterdeep (D&D game)
- King of Tokyo

I wasn't that crazy about Power Grid. Everything else was pretty cool.

I bought Bullet & King of Tokyo.

Anyone else play card/board games? And, what would you recommend?

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
Which games would you recommend for 2 people? I want to get some for me and the wife to play.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Which games would you recommend for 2 people? I want to get some for me and the wife to play.

Co-op:
Forbidden Island/Desert (light)
Castle Panic (medium)
Pandemic (harder)

Competitive:
Star Realms (light)
Age of War (light)
Ticket to Ride (Medium)
Castles of Burgundy (Hard)

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I'd paste my list but think I'd get an out of space error. :)

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
Ingenious - a quick 2-4 player tile game
Settlers of Catan - has several expansion sets. Can be played with 2-6 people.

festa_freak

Dec 2, 2011
I bought Lost Cities for me and my wife to play. Games take ~10 minutes each so you don't have to commit much time if you don't want to. It is very easy to learn and there is still quite a bit of strategy involved.

She doesn't like risk type games or higher strategy, she just doesn't know how to win in the long run, yet, so it's a good game for us to join together.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
If you haven't tried it yet play the Battlestar Galactica board game. You don't need to know anything about the series and it's one of the most fun games with a traitor mechanic.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Anything good Star Wars related i can play with a 6 year old?

How focused and delicate are they? X-Wing miniatures rocks. My 7 year old is just starting to get into it.

There's some good deals running right now on some models for the "4th Be With You Day".

Get two core sets, a Falcon, Slave 1 and another X-Wing and Tie Fighter expansion and you our out of pocket about $100. That will set up some fun fights until you are ready to really open up your wallet for the really crazy ships they have been releasing.

draknon

Jul 2, 2008
I would deffinately pickup the powerup and halloween expansions for King of Tokyo. They add unique abilities to the different characters.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Splendor isn't too bad with 2 players, though I feel it's definitely more fun with 3-4.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've bought and Kickstarted a bunch of different games recently.

Purchased:
Ticket to Ride
Takenoko
Epic Spell Wars
King of Tokyo + Evolution expansion
Cards Against Humanity
Boss Monster + items expansion
Pixel Tactics
Muchkin Deluxe + Expansion #2 and #3
Trivia Pursuit - Family Edition
Trivia Pursuit - World of WarCraft
Smart Ass
Cinelinx + Red Band expansion
The Best of TV & Movies
Carcassone
Settlers of Catan

Kickstarter:
Adorable Panda-ring - Don't judge me! :$
Meow - Okay, you can judge me on this one. :p
Posthuman
Boss Monster II
Ninja All-Stars
Best Treehouse Ever
Oh My Gods!
RESISTOR_
Unpub + Deck Building
Space Dandy

As of writing, the Smart Ass game is actually pretty cheap (at $15.99) as I paid a few more dollars for a used copy. If you enjoy riddles where you guess an object, person or place based upon clues that start off vague and are increasingly more precise, then you'll like Smart Ass. Unlike Trivia Pursuit where it's one person at a time, anyone can answer (but only once!), which adds to the tension. I'm a fan of trivia games, so it works for me.

If you like movie trivia, consider The Best of TV & Movies for a straight-up trivia game, or Cinelinx for a challenging game that tests your knowledge of movie casts, etc. It's sort of like playing Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, but I believe the max separation allowed is three degrees. An example that they give is someone connects Natural Born Killers to Chevy Chase. Now, Chevy Chase was not in that movie, but he was in Caddyshack with Rodney Dangerfield who was in Natural Born Killers.

Last edited:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Splendor isn't too bad with 2 players, though I feel it's definitely more fun with 3-4.

With 2 players my wife and I prefer to play to 20 points. Although she's almost boycotted the game after I tried a different strategy and crushed her three games in a row :D. I went three games in a row without buying a single 1st tier card and start going right for 2nd row cards from the start. She ran the table on nobles but it wasn't enough to keep up with my straight up points and chip management.

Also with Carcassone if you want an interesting 2 player variant, have a hand of three tiles and place the best one each round. Makes for some more cuththroat games.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Anyone have Galaxy Trucker? It looks really interesting to me but I'm hesitant to pluck down $50 for it.

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Nice start list man! I have Galaxy Trucker, it's really fun but I've hit my personal limit on it (at least until my kids are old enough to play it). If you can embrace the chaos of building a crappy ship and then watching it blown up you'll love it.

The main question is the number of players you are playing with, and their preferred style of game. I've got so many games and love all types but I am VERY particular about taking into consideration the people I am going to play with as to make sure they have an enjoyable experience as to not leave a bad taste about board games in their mouth.

Lords of Waterdeep with expansion is one of my most played due to pure fun factor and ease of teaching how to play. This game is nearly a home run for everybody. If you find yourself ready for deeper waters Caverna is known probably the King of those types of games, but it's expensive and you can likely find the prequal to Caverna for much cheaper called Agricola. I've never played Agricola but Caverna is a favorite of ours.

We're really into Dead of Winter right now. Awesome game, it's like Battlestar Galactica but with smoother and faster gameplay. Think of it as the Walking Dead the board game. You meet up with other survivors to cooperate to survive, meanwhile you have your own secret agenda's and possibly betrayal in the mix. This game is a homerun when you're playing with the right kind of people.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread. My recommendation is to watch videos on the games before you buy so you know what you're in for. You don't want to jump in the deep end of the pool only to find yourself lost in rules hell and drowning 4 other innocent people with you.

Definitely watch table top, that show is amazing for introducing people to great games.