Blurry graphics on Radeon 9700 pro

techfreak

Sep 14, 2002
I have ATI's Radeon 9700 pro and before that I had Radeon 8500 LE. Both cards produces blurred out texture for OpenGL games. The problem is less noticeable on textures closer and toward center of the view point and more noticeable on textures further and toward the sides of the view point (ie: walls in hallway). Especially for Counter-Strike there seems to be a magical line in front of me where within the line the texture looks fine and beyond the line all the textures are blurred. There's also object edge flickering problem in CS.

I have all the graphic settings both in game and in Display properties turned up to max and still the same result. I do have latest drivers for EVERYTHING and the card is not OC'ed and I'm not running any graphic tweak program.

Athlon XP 1700+
Via KT266A
512mb PC 2700
Iwill HighPoint Raid
(w/4 40gb Maxtor)
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (Catalyst 2.3)
Onboard sound (got pissed at my Audigy)
Windows XP
DirectX 8.1

I would post some screenshots of the problem but Screen capturing program not working. So.. anyone else have this problem? I recently bought Mafia and on my friend's Geforce card it looks LOT better than mine. Same with UT2003 Demo. Help? Anyone?

On a unrelated topic, how should a comp with my spec do on 3D Mark? I was shocked that I only got 11200 (it averaged 31 fps in Car Chase High)

jitspoe

Mar 20, 2002
This sounds like the mipmap setting. I'm not sure how you change it in CS, but if it's like other quake2-based games, you can use:
set gl_texturemode "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"
and it'll make things look a lot better.

Also, there's a "screenshot" command you can bind to a key. You can also hit the printscreen button to take a screenshot -- that'll save the current image to the clipboard and you can just open a paint prorgram and paste it.

techfreak

Sep 14, 2002
Hmmm, seems like the blurred texture issue in CS is not related to the problem in other games. I fixed CS, there were some graphic adjustments in the game's config file that was causing it.

But there's still more problem. In CS the edges of any object constantly flickers where ever I go, it's really distracting. Adjusting anti-aliasing only changes its pattern.

And also.. I like to play it on 100 fps thus I forced the refresh rate to run at 100hz. But when I do this, there's a band of distortion on the lower part of the screen when I'm moving, it's not there when I'm not moving. The problem is less noticeable at 85hz and at 75hz or below it's not there at all.

Any ideas?

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
that "band of distorton" is screen tearing, the solution is forceing vertical sync. granted we are going to have to talk ati into letting us do that as not its either off aplication prefrence and aparently hl defaults off. i have no issue with fickering textures at all but sprites are visable though walls and trueform doesnt seem to work. same setup as you exept for cpu speed, abit board and a live card.

techfreak

Sep 14, 2002
Oh I see... but it seems like V-sync is on though. In Display property (" wait for vertical sync [ ] off or [*] Application preference ") as you can see I chose application preference. Is there another place where I can actually specify On or Off?

As for "flickering texture", it's not texture, it's the edges of any shape or object. And by "flicker" it's not exactly flicker, it just looks like as if anti-aliasing is on and it's using pure black or pure white insted of translucent color to blend the jagged edges. Also, weird lines appear on the ground far away (most of the time white line). Sorry for not being clear ealier.

techfreak

Sep 14, 2002
Nevermind my previous description of the edges. Upon closer and detailed examination, the edges do look how they're suppose to. The odd thing is, like teeth on a saw or like tiny stairs, the none anti-aliased jaggedness actually MOVE alone the entire edge, like mini train carts being pulled on a rail (sorry about all the analogies, difficult to describe otherwise), as I'm moving. They don't shift like that when I'm still, even when i'm looking around in all direction. Only when I'm moving. This makes all the edges look like they're flickering when I'm running around.

Confused yet?

techfreak

Sep 14, 2002
By the way it's not just in CS, it's in other games like Mafia as well. Just that it is extra noticeable and annoying in CS. So far only way is to crank up the resolution so that all pixels looks smaller.

I still dunno how to turn on Vertical Sync for sure yet. Anyone knows?