Blurriness/washed out colour on new GTX 570

JDrew

Apr 2, 2011
Hi everyone,

Long-time browser, first-time poster - I have a question about an issue I am experiencing with my new video card. Forums/google/nvidia website search did not turn up much that was useful.

I just purchased a new MSI GTX 570 (OC edition) to replace my 4870.

When I uninstalled my old card, I went through the process of uninstalling the old drivers, rebooting into safe mode, running Driver Sweeper, rebooting, and installing the nvidia 270.51 beta drivers - I think I covered everything I needed to do.

The issue I am having is that in Windows all text appears blurred and aliased (it is readable but strains my eyes) and has a bit of a "ghosting" effect where it almost looks like some of the letters cast small shadows to the right of them. The colours of my desktop and all opened windows also appear washed out.

Oddly enough, if I uninstall the drivers and boot back into Windows with no drivers installed, the problem disappears and text looks normal.

I am using Windows 7 x64 as my main O/S. I am currently connected via the mini-HDMI to HDMI cable; I tried the DVI to HDMI cable and also experienced the same problem.

I dual-boot Windows XP Home 32-bit; I tried installing the drivers there and the problem was still there.

I tried the latest WHQL drivers instead under Windows XP and that did not seem to make a difference either.

I am running at my monitor's (24" Westinghouse L2410NM) native 1920x1200 resolution.

I am confused by this issue; I am trying to figure out whether there is some setting in the Control Panel that I need to tweak that is not enabled by default, or whether I have a faulty card that I should RMA.

Might be something that I missed - I am new at building/upgrading computers so I am still learning. Any help you can offer would be appreciated - if I forgot to add any relevant information please let me know.

Thanks - Drew

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
Probably some scaling issues. Look in the Nvidia Control panel for HDTV and Display options.

Also make sure you're running the right resolution after the drivers get installed.

And check your TV scaling/input settings.

JDrew

Apr 2, 2011
Thanks for the link. The registry edit did the trick - everything looks normal now.

Cheers - Drew

insurgent

Dec 4, 2006
I don't get why some monitors don't play nice with video cards. I was using DVI with no problems on my 1080p monitor, then had to change to HDMI and experienced scaling issues and had to set some overscan thing in CCC. I mean, why don't they just work?