blu ray played from pc better than ps3? *update* 3D is better too

Discussion in 'Audio/Video & Home Theater' started by brainhulk, Jan 7, 2013.

1. brainhulk

brainhulk Diamond Member

Anybody else compared the two? The colors and contrast looked better to me by a noticable amount on the pc

A/V System:
    Panasonic 5020ub
    Elite Screens 120" fixed frame screen
    Integra 50.4
    Emotive xpa-5
    B&W 805 front's
    B&W HTM4 center
    B&W CDM 7NT wide rear
    monitor audio satellites in the rear
    Velodyne 1000w Sub
    ps3
    fios cable box

PC:
    gtx 560ti
    windows 8
    LG Blu Ray drive
    Blu ray software: TotalMedia Theatre 6

brother built PC for me, suprised the video card could even output DTS-HD

****Update:

Just figured out how to get the pc to output 3D

It just simply blows away the PS3 in 3D movies. The depth is so much more believable, it's pure awesome. And with the already better colors and the ability too add in more 3D depth without introducing cross talk, the experience is unreal. (Watching the first Avatar jungle scene)

#1 brainhulk, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. Phanuel

Phanuel Platinum Member

Most likely a video card color adjustment within the drivers.

3. blackangst1

blackangst1 Lifer

Depends...was the vid card bit streaming? Im gonna guess yes...

4. jtvang125

jtvang125 Diamond Member

Yea, probably some post processing in the nvidia software drivers too.

Bitstreaming deals with the audio only and wouldn't have an effect on the video.

5. blackangst1

blackangst1 Lifer

Oops youre right.

6. rbk123

rbk123 Senior member

What app did you use to play it on your PC?

7. brainhulk

brainhulk Diamond Member

TotalMedia Theatre 5

8. brainhulk

brainhulk Diamond Member

Update:

Just figured out how to get the pc to output 3D

It just simply blows away the PS3 in 3D movies. The depth is so much more believable, it's pure awesome. And with the already better colors and the ability too add in more 3D depth without introducing cross talk, the experience is unreal. (Watching the first Avatar jungle scene)

I will not be using my ps3 anymore to play movies, the pc just blows it out of the water

#8 brainhulk, Feb 3, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  9. cheez

cheez Golden Member

^ Told ya the PS3 is less than stellar for movie playback. Jack Burton believes that PS3 puts out best PQ for BD playback which is completely retarded....

Can't expect much from the video processor and scaler that's built in to the PS3. It's a cheap crap box.

cheez

10. JackBurton

JackBurton Lifer

Seriously? When did I even say that? I have a $2200 BD player that I use for BD and DVD playback, why would I say the PS3 outputs the best PQ?

You're a troll cheez, plain and simple. Not really sure why you haven't been banned yet.

11. cheez

cheez Golden Member

Last time when we had debate regarding Blu-ray at All About Apple section of the forum. You were defending the PS3 being the best candidate for quality playback and stated that because it's "digital" (1's and 0's retarded remark) it will look all the same regardless what you play the BD with, which is once again, another retarded statement... :D

What... saying PS3 suck because it's not a best source of BD playback? What I stated is correct and how can it be trolling? You are trolling! Troll. ;)

What? Just because you don't like what I post I should get banned??? That's the funniest stupid thing I have heard in a while.

:p

cheez

12. cheez

cheez Golden Member

You are the one said "it's all digital, 1's and 0's so the PQ will be all the same" and yet you spent $2200 on a BD player?? Man, YOu are funny. :D

cheez

13. JackBurton

JackBurton Lifer

Why don't you go ahead and go find that post. The facts are, there is very little deviance from a $80 BD to a $10K BD player in regards to BD video playback. The BD player simply acts as a transport. It lifts the data and dumps it. That's it. What brainhulk is finding is most likely due to post processing that the PC (video card) is doing, which most likely is not true to the source. It's adding/tweaking information that wasn't intended to be there in the first place. Now that doesn't necessarily mean it is a bad thing, it just means the source was altered. Some people like it, some people don't. Similar to people preferring an uncalibrated set with slighting tweaked colors vs a calibrated set. And just to be clear, this is strictly speaking from a BD 2D perspective.

I can't speak for the PS3's 3D capabilities, but if you can reduce the crosstalk in 3D using a PC (of any other device), that can never be a bad thing. Also take into consideration 3D on a PS3 was added as an afterthought as it technically doesn't even meet the 3D requirements (PS3 uses HDMI 1.3 instead of the required HDMI 1.4 spec).

Well, considering I never said that, I'd say that qualifies you as being a troll.

This is internet.

#13 JackBurton, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  14. JackBurton

JackBurton Lifer

:rolleyes: You know there is more to a BD player than just BD video, right?

The troll is strong with you.

15. Durvelle27

Durvelle27 Diamond Member

i also agree the PC Blu-rays and 3D Movies look a lot better than when i played them from my blu-ray player, xbox 360, & PS3. The 3D has much better depth and the colors look more accurate.

A/V System:

Acer H5360
    DIY 110" Fixed Frame Screen
    Vizio VSB200 Sound Bar
    Sony SA-W2500 10" Powered Subwoofer
    Yamaha YST-SW012 8-Inch Front-Firing powered Subwoofer
    PS3 160GB Phat
    Xbox 360 250GB Slim w/Kinect
    AT&T Uverse HD DVR Box

PC:

FX 4100
    Galaxy GTX 560 Ti OC
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Lite-On Blu-ray Burner with Blu Ray 3D Feature IHBS112-04
    Blu ray software: PowerDVD 12 Ultra
    Nvidia 3D Vision 1st Gen w/ 3x glasses

I've Tested this movies and also compared them to my Vizio E3D320VX 3D TV and the difference is pretty Big

IMAX Under The Sea 3D <---- Best 3D Movie i have seen to this day
    Cars 2 3D
    Finding Nemo 3D
    Despicable Me 3D
    Plus more.....

Edit: Most videos since the HD 4xxx series output DTS HD

#15 Durvelle27, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  16. cheez

cheez Golden Member

Hmmm...maybe I've got confused with someone else in that thread then lol oops. Sorry if I offended you. :D

I actually don't disagree with this, so no objection your honor lol.

Like I said I must got confused with someone else then cause you weren't the only guy I was arguing at the time. I had a whole group of people coming at me you know lmao.

You sure this is internet? ha ha. :D

I was just messin with you.

You mean may the force be with me? Of course!

cheez

You're done in here, cheez
    -ViRGE

#16 cheez, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  17. Ichinisan

Ichinisan Lifer

Why would you want to scale a 1080p image?

18. CZroe

CZroe Lifer

Uhh, I thought everyone knew that the PS3 does software decoding with no hardware video scaler. It's why CRT HDTV monitors with native resolutions and no scalers sometimes have to play HD games in 480p/480i (game didn't support their TV's native resolution).

That said, I've had exactly the opposite experience between PC playback with Total Media Theater and the PS3. I've seen movies that no amount of tweaking could remove the poor black levels that were fine on the PS3 and audio that was unintelligible when coming from the PC and fine on the PS3 (a certain scene in Batman Begins comes to mind).

19. Fallen Kell

Fallen Kell Diamond Member

That sounds entirely like driver and OS issues, with the display outputting PC black/white levels when it should be outputting TV black/white levels or possibly the software being used which is expecting the PC to be outputting PC black/white levels when it is in fact already outputting TV black/white levels and double shifting the levels. The audio issues have almost always been an issue with the DRM requirements that are in place making you have to jump through hoops to get the right driver with the right settings and not allow Windows to put the audio feed through the Windows audio paths which completely mangle the quality.