Blockbuster.com no longer gives free game rentals with Total Access

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
i canceled when they changed unlimited returns in store for a free rental. fuck em. hope they go out of business.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Fuck Blockbuster.

I was a strong supporter a few months ago when they had free game rental and unlimited returns, but I've switched to Netflix.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: tfinch2
Fuck Blockbuster.

I was a strong supporter a few months ago when they had free game rental and unlimited returns, but I've switched to Netflix.

same.

well i have yet to switch to netflix. but then i had bioshock and MOH:airborn to play heh

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
They have new leadership, and the guy at the top is making changes. The unlimited returns was great but it lost the stores money. The current business plan should help the stores. I am still loyal b/c I still get more movies for the $$ then Netflix, but BB should be careful if they want to grow their online business.

Umberger

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2005
Originally posted by: waggy
i canceled when they changed unlimited returns in store for a free rental. fuck em. hope they go out of business.

wait? they changed that? i haven't been a subscriber for the past 5 or 6 months... what did they change it to?

crap.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Umberger
Originally posted by: waggy

wait? they changed that? i haven't been a subscriber for the past 5 or 6 months... what did they change it to?

crap.

well they didnt change it for everybody. just the people who used it.

its been like 2-3 months?

they offered to let me stay at the unlimited in store return for an additional $7. fuck it that pissed me off.

was it worth it still? sure. but the fact they offered a good deal and changed it ina few momths pissed me off. when i can go to netflix for cheaper.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
They should have at least offered something - they offer you the same monthly, with less features. Oh! But you can upgrade to PREMIUM and get what you used to, for almost twice as much!

I mean, if they were offering my old plan, with the reduced in-store rentals, but at least cut a dollar or two off the subscription price...I wouldn't have minded so much.

Oh well. Netflix, ho!

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Where do you see this? I still have my two coupons for game/movie rentals. Is this something they'll start next month?

Zugzwang152

Lifer
Oct 30, 2001
I safely stayed under the radar. I'm currently grandfathered in at 17.99/month still with unlimited in-store exchanges. And I still get the additional free game or movie rental per month.

The current 17.99/month plan is limited to 5 in-store exchanges and unlimited through the mail. I use about that on average anyway, maybe a little more, so I'm glad I have the opportunity to abuse it as some point later :D

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Zugzwang152
I safely stayed under the radar. I'm currently grandfathered in at 17.99/month still with unlimited in-store exchanges. And I still get the additional free game or movie rental per month.

The current 17.99/month plan is limited to 5 in-store exchanges and unlimited through the mail. I use about that on average anyway, maybe a little more, so I'm glad I have the opportunity to abuse it as some point later :D

you are grandfathered in until they decide to change everyone. wich will be soon.

blockbuster is going down.any goodwill they had after all the late fee bullshit is gone.

just wish there was a competitor to them (B&M) to rent from

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Zugzwang152

I was grandfathered in too. They changed me about 2 weeks ago.

SpeedEng66

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
I dumped bb I had the lowest plan 2 movies a month plus one instore game rental
for a year and all of the sudden they jacked up the rate and no game rental

pissed me off

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
You're angry about the lack of unlimited store rentals, so you switch to Netflix...

So, you switched away from a plan that now gives you 5 in-store returns (blockbuster's new "standard"), to a plan that gives you zero (Netflix)? That makes a lot of sense.

AmpedSilence

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
I left BB after they dropped the unlimited rentals for $13.99/month 2-at-a-time plan; and they dropped the coupon. That was the last straw. I could have lived with the limited in-exchanges because i was under thier limit anyway, but when they did away with the free game rental a month. I canceled and switched to Netflix. Faster turn around, larger HDDVD selection, and over all cheaper. Since i was going to pay for game rentals now anyway, it just made sense.

Anyway, let the price wars continue!

MaverickBP

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2004
I actually tried to cancel my acct for other reasons (I had the $17.99 plan) and they offered me to stay with my original plan for $8.99 for three months upon which I could then cancel my acct. Also I still have unlimited instore exchanges...haven't had one problem with it. I'm still more a fan of netflix as I get the movies shipped to me faster (Vegas) than blockbuster. The instore exchange does make up for it but I was getting tired of having to go there to make up for it.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
They still haven't changed me, I'm hoping that my price plan is expensive enough to stay under their radar. $23.99 for 4 at a time, unlimited, + 2 coupons a month (game or movie).

If they do try to axe my plan I'll probably pay the higher rate because I use the hell out of my account. Even at $30 a month they would still have a huge advantage over Netflix - Instant gratification. I rented just as much from B&M stores with netflix as I did without.

With blockbuster I can get the TV series & such that the stores don't carry via mail, and exchange for the new releases and "I want to watch this movie tonight" impulses.

Viper GTS

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
idk, I mean they started it and when some people watch over 40 movies a month what can they do, they are losing a huge amount of money and they need to cater to those who use it less. Some people all they really do is stay home and watch movies on the weekend and even the weekdays they had to draw the line. I dont really feel vindictive against them at all and a lot of people who got their plan switch still paid to keep the same service because they realize they use it a ridiculous amount and it is still worth it to them.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
I still prefer blockbuster because I can return my movies to the store and they get scanned right away. I don't have to wait 2-3 days for them to get the previous movie before they ship out the new one.

SpeedEng66

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
question for the ppl who switched over to netflix

how is the movies online that they offer?
is there a large selection?
video quality?

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: jandrews
idk, I mean they started it and when some people watch over 40 movies a month what can they do, they are losing a huge amount of money and they need to cater to those who use it less. Some people all they really do is stay home and watch movies on the weekend and even the weekdays they had to draw the line. I dont really feel vindictive against them at all and a lot of people who got their plan switch still paid to keep the same service because they realize they use it a ridiculous amount and it is still worth it to them.

Yep. I knew this was going to happen when the first announced the program. You can't change to an "All you can eat buffet" model and not expect for that model to be abused horrendously. Their whole concept of "getting people into the store to buy snacks" was ridiculous. You can rent 6 movies a week under this model without even trying. Those that try can get up to 10 movies a week.

This is no different than the hit Red Lobster took when the did All You Can Eat Crab Legs. One of the execs was quoted as saying something along the lines of "It was the people going back for seconds that hurt us. It was the people going back for thirds, fourths, and fifths."

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Damn! I never noticed the email from Blockbuster until just now. I thought I was all good, but I just noticed they changed my account too, back in August apparently.

You will be moved to our new plan that includes Unlimited Online DVDs 2 at a time plus up to 3 free* in-store exchanges for $14.99. This plan will not include an e-coupon for in-store DVD and/or game rentals. The new subscription plan and pricing will go into effect on your regular monthly billing date following August 31, 2007.?

?If you do not choose a different blockbuster.com plan by August 31, 2007, we will automatically move you to the new plan described above as of your next billing date. Your new plan does not include a monthly e-coupon for in-store DVDs and/or games.

The wierd thing is that I'm looking at my account right now and I definitely have a movie/game e-coupon available to print out and I'm certain that I used more than 3 exchanges in September. Though the account description has been changed to reflect the email. *shrug*

To be honest my wife and I did and do use this a ridiculous amount. There's nothing to do in the town we live, and we're trying to save money anyway. This has been a sweet deal for us through the summer. I'll keep using it for all I can until they actually catch their glitch I guess.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
They still haven't changed me, I'm hoping that my price plan is expensive enough to stay under their radar. $23.99 for 4 at a time, unlimited, + 2 coupons a month (game or movie).

If they do try to axe my plan I'll probably pay the higher rate because I use the hell out of my account. Even at $30 a month they would still have a huge advantage over Netflix - Instant gratification. I rented just as much from B&M stores with netflix as I did without.

With blockbuster I can get the TV series & such that the stores don't carry via mail, and exchange for the new releases and "I want to watch this movie tonight" impulses.

Viper GTS

Totally the best part. There have been plenty of times when we would get something in the mail that we just weren't in the mood for. I mean, it's hard to conjure up the mood to watch Schindler's List if you're feeling more for Super Troopers.