Blizzard trying an FPS game; Overwatch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
The big irony for me is that I would have totally seen Overwatch as a story-driven, semi-open (or semi-linear) single-player FPS with a proper campaign in the veins of Borderlands 2. Instead, they opted to make it multi-player only, which to me is a big disappointment.

I don't care much about the number of players limitation (if it does end up being 6 Vs 6 for example), and I don't care that it "looks like TF2" (although it does have somewhat of a unique feel on its own as well), my 'problem' really is the fact that it's MP-only. The fact that it's MP-only put it directly in TF2's lawn (and not just because it "looks like it" but also because it's pretty much the same game-play mechanics, team and class-based combat). And, honestly, I do believe that TF2 will remain successful for years to come, whilst Overwatch might perhaps reach the Fad status at best.

I don't see it going anywhere near where Blizzard thinks it can go. I might be wrong of course, time will tell. I would like to add, however, that if there's one thing I "agree" with (or that I'm happy about) is to see Blizzard trying something new... I really don't blame them for trying something outside of their box (RTSes, and aRPGs).

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Yeah good on them for trying something new and while I think the game will likely be decent for what it is, I don't expect huge success. It's right in TF2's wheelhouse, so I think the situation is not the same as it has been for them in the past of going into a stagnant market and shaking it up. Valve creates exceptional games and in my opinion is a better developer with advantages Blizzard doesn't have in how they work.

Blizzard always tries to build long-lasting communities and gameplay around their franchises, I don't see that happening with this game. I also feel like TF2 has milked this game play dry to the point that if you loved TF2 you may very well like this game but just find yourself tired of the genre because of all the time you logged in TF2.

Time will tell, the FPS genre is heavily saturated with a lot of big franchises. For this game to have the usual long running player investment Blizzard strives for, they're going to have to find a way to make the game compelling enough to make you want to fire it up regularly.

I'm starting to think that Blizzard is turning a page to shoveling out more products of lesser quality and cash in on their name. Lots of F2P micro-transaction focused games with the Blizzard logo on them that have a fraction of the development cost big titles like WoW, SC2 and Diablo incur.

Oct 30, 2004
Could it be?! An arena shooter thats worth playing????!?!??!?!?! awesome!

...A new Unreal Tournament is under development.

If it's like TF2 then it's not really an arena shooter since it would have different character classes.

Last edited:

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Seems to me it's a DOTA-type hero abilities in TF2 gameplay. Saw a lot of one hit kills.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
Seems to me it's a DOTA-type hero abilities in TF2 gameplay. Saw a lot of one hit kills.

The one hit kills could be for effect for the trailer? After a year of beta testing and fine-tuning they will most likely shift the game into what the community is asking for I would think.

I think it's too early to be critical about what we are seeing is all.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Seems more like bringing differentiated and unique MOBA-type abilities to TF2. That is not inherently a compliment. It could totally be fun to have more going on than gun 1/2/3/4, but if it boils down too much to being able to land a few super abilities it will suck. If the gunplay and movement is poor it will suck. I'll also point out that the frustration of trying to land important abilities in a twitch based and potentially laggy FPS environment could be cause for much frustration.

Also, they will probably be assholes about monetizing this. Hero rotations, alternate abilities, etc. Why is Valve seemingly the only ones that have figured out that putting gameplay-effecting content behind a pay wall makes for a shitty game?

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
The big irony for me is that I would have totally seen Overwatch as a story-driven, semi-open (or semi-linear) single-player FPS with a proper campaign in the veins of Borderlands 2. Instead, they opted to make it multi-player only, which to me is a big disappointment.

I don't care much about the number of players limitation (if it does end up being 6 Vs 6 for example), and I don't care that it "looks like TF2" (although it does have somewhat of a unique feel on its own as well), my 'problem' really is the fact that it's MP-only. The fact that it's MP-only put it directly in TF2's lawn (and not just because it "looks like it" but also because it's pretty much the same game-play mechanics, team and class-based combat). And, honestly, I do believe that TF2 will remain successful for years to come, whilst Overwatch might perhaps reach the Fad status at best.

I don't see it going anywhere near where Blizzard thinks it can go. I might be wrong of course, time will tell. I would like to add, however, that if there's one thing I "agree" with (or that I'm happy about) is to see Blizzard trying something new... I really don't blame them for trying something outside of their box (RTSes, and aRPGs).

Yeah, the trailer was a bit misleading in that regard. I wish it was an RPG-lite FPS with a story so we could explore and develop the character's abilities and backstories more.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I'm kind of done with Blizzard games. The way started trying to squeeze every penny from their customers really left a bad taste in my mouth. So, this game basically has to prove itself from the ground up and a prerendered trailer isn't going to do that :p Granted, it looks quite cool.

I was going to say something about not all class based shooters are TF2... but there was one scene where they almost purposefully tried to make it look as much like TF2 as possible... It still looks much different (reliant on skills than straight shooting).

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
I'm glad it is multiplayer.

SP games like borderlands 2 with guns gets annoying after a while, no? Just hearing guns going off all the time irritates me. More than swords.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Yeah, the trailer was a bit misleading in that regard. I wish it was an RPG-lite FPS with a story so we could explore and develop the character's abilities and backstories more.

It's a shame they never made a story driven FPS or action rpg... oh wait. -_-

Last edited:

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
all the classes remind me of the quake mod future vs fantasy. not sure if anyone remembers that thing.
http://fvfonline.com/

i wish they had an option for bigger games than 6v6 for casual play. That game size is definitely set up more for competitive play. that's probably what they're trying to establish.

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
Arena based multiplier doesn't interest me at all. I watched 15 seconds of the vid. Used to like it, just don't care anymore.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
You know, I might actually give this a shot when it comes out. Trailer gave me enough of a hook to be interested. Some of those class mechanics look interesting.

This. I'm afraid it just looks a little too busy.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Hmm, certainly a TF2 feel, but with a bit more to it.

Could be decent.

Mike4

Oct 22, 2014
www.gamingrants.net
I think it will be a fun game, the wide variety of classes and their abilities is what will make it a lot better than TF2 potentially. The maps also look cool. Hopefully Blizzard pulls off the balancing and it is a high quality FPS.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I like TF2 but at the same time there's only so much "team" that goes into playing it - with the major exception of medic ubercharges/healing I think most people tend to kind of just go rogue, at least on public servers. I think chopping it down to 6v6 and maybe encouraging premade v premade could go a long way to improve that.

I think the class design and art style may be similar to TF2 but the scope and map design will not be. I think it's going to provide more of an arena experience than one of mass chaos. Which ironically probably doesn't appeal to the primary TF2 crowd lol.

I'll give it a go - hopefully the classes have enough going on that there's roles to be filled by not your typical FPS player (probably the healer and turret dwarf at least). Also calling it now, Reaper will be the pubstomp character.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
that's a fairly retarded statement.

Selling pets 30% cut on rmah (iif you transferred it out of their system). Selling characters.... Why is it a retarded opinion to hold? Because you think I should meekly ignore it?