Blizzard trying an FPS game; Overwatch

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I like TF2 but at the same time there's only so much "team" that goes into playing it - with the major exception of medic ubercharges/healing I think most people tend to kind of just go rogue, at least on public servers. I think chopping it down to 6v6 and maybe encouraging premade v premade could go a long way to improve that.

I think the class design and art style may be similar to TF2 but the scope and map design will not be. I think it's going to provide more of an arena experience than one of mass chaos. Which ironically probably doesn't appeal to the primary TF2 crowd lol.

I'll give it a go - hopefully the classes have enough going on that there's roles to be filled by not your typical FPS player (probably the healer and turret dwarf at least). Also calling it now, Reaper will be the pubstomp character.

Wonder if you are limited to one of each character like in DOTA.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I hope so actually. I don't mind the same characters on both teams but I think allowing multiples of the same character on the same team can be a bit of a knuckleball when it comes to balancing games.

I'm curious to see how they do matchmaking. I think 6v6 premade on both sides would be a ton of fun but I wonder if you'll be able to queue without a full group as well and how they decide to handle that. If you can only play solo or with a full group I don't think that's going to pan out very well.

BTW you can also already opt-in for the beta as well through your battlenet account profile ("future betas" I think) or through the overwatch site.

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
The one hit kills could be for effect for the trailer? After a year of beta testing and fine-tuning they will most likely shift the game into what the community is asking for I would think.

I think it's too early to be critical about what we are seeing is all.

I played it at Blizzcon.

It is, at least as currently developed, a very fun game with a heavy emphasis on teamwork. Our team sucked, and as such, we got steamrolled. If you don't have a tank, support, etc, you lose. The classes are not remotely balanced currently, but that is of little surprise.

I was shot in the back by someone playing the hanzo character multiple times, and it was infuriating. Granted these guys were way better than us, but it just kept happening. Hanzo was easily the most effective DPS.

I often had no idea where attacks were coming from. Could be a skill level thing. i am not a big FPS guy.

I was much more effective when I switched from Reaper to support (the girl with the Angel wings).

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
There is no rmah.

And i don't recall this character service you speak of.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
If you really want a level boost you get one free. And the free wow pets compared to the vanity paid ones are exponentially greater in number.

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Looks interesting, if its as fun as it looks I will definitely give this a try.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Looks like it will be fun. I showed the trailer to my sons(7&12)and they thought it looked awesome. Trailers are always misleading though. Until the beta drops in 2015 we won't know for sure, but for now it looks really cool.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Looks like it will be fun. I showed the trailer to my sons(7&12)and they thought it looked awesome. Trailers are always misleading though. Until the beta drops in 2015 we won't know for sure, but for now it looks really cool.

The trailer gives the impression that there's an actual fleshed-out "universe"/setting behind it, and that each one of the game's playable characters also their own respective stories. But alas, it's only multi-player. I mean, Overwatch's trailer is not exactly like TF2's "Meet The..." character videos for example. I'm saying this because Overwatch tries to be multi-player only just like TF2, even though some people might also think that TF2's characters have what it takes for a single-player story-driven campaign, but I don't think that's the case. That's probably because right from the start when Valve designed TF2 they had "multi-player only" in mind, that's why when I look at the TF2 characters they really don't give me the feeling that they "could belong" to a story-driven game. I know some people sometimes say that Valve should make a Pixar-style movie with TF2 characters and, yes, it could be funny, but the point is that Valve would have to readjust their characters for that purpose (could be done, but it never was the original intent, in my point).

Now, in Overwatch's case... not sure exactly what happened but I do have the feeling that originally it was designed with "single-player / story-driven" in mind (and of course would have included an extra multi-player mode). I might be wrong, perhaps they did design Overwatch as MP-only as soon as they started to brainstorm about it (but the trailer anyway really doesn't give me that feeling). The way Overwatch characters are presented in its trailer literally gave me the impression (the first time I watched it) that Blizzard was in fact announcing a full-fledged complete single-player + multi-player game package à-la StarCraft, WarCraft or Diablo. And then later on I discovered that it was instead multi-player only, which honestly left be baffled for a moment ("Wait, but... the trailer I just watched... that's not a trailer for a multi-player only game is it? It looked so... fleshed-out.", is what I thought).

To be honest I would genuinely been very interested by Overwatch had it also included a good semi-linear/semi-open story-driven game in the veins of Boderlands 2 (and on top of that, include a couple of multi-player modes, perhaps even a co-operation mode). Especially because there seems to be the obvious "Good Guys" Vs. "Bad Guys" theme (not to mention that each characters of each side seem to have their respective nemesis). I'm saying this because I would have totally imagined TWO single-player campaigns for Overwatch, each one allowing the player to play as any of the "good" characters, or any of the "bad" ones, seeing their own stories and playing the game's events viewed with their own perspective of things. I have DC Universe Online in mind right now, in which we can play as either a Hero or a Villain, being given missions and being 'trained' under a heroic or a villain Mentor as we progress in leveling (or we could take a more classic example, such as the Command & Conquer series, playing either as the GDI, or the NOD).

I do think that Blizzard missed a great opportunity by limiting Overwatch to multi-player.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
http://kotaku.com/heres-what-blizzards-titan-actually-was-1638632121

Blizzard cutting titan in half to try and make some money. The MMO portion described in that article sounds terrible so I can see why they cancelled it.

After Diablo 3 (worst designed game in many years) and the general direction they're going in (casual/money>quality), the only way I'm playing this is if its free.

I'm sure it will have great cinematics though

Last edited:

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Would not be surprised if the characters and theme of the game are directly ripped from the remnants of their cancelled Titan MMO. Someone up the ladder would of wanted to salvage some revenue from the years of development sunk into the project. That is a simple reality and they likely came up with the idea to do this FPS building on assets they'd designed for the failed MMO.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
Would not be surprised if the characters and theme of the game are directly ripped from the remnants of their cancelled Titan MMO. Someone up the ladder would of wanted to salvage some revenue from the years of development sunk into the project. That is a simple reality and they likely came up with the idea to do this FPS building on assets they'd designed for the failed MMO.

Read the article I posted above your post, it was posted a month b4 blizzcon with leaked info about what titan was (mmo + fps) and it basically describes overwatch as being the fps portion of titan

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Been keeping an eye on this, I'm more interested in trying Overwatch than just about anything else coming in the foreseeable future at this point. On Thursday (10/15) Blizzard is hosting a livestream of gameplay with two (presumably) prominent streamers. Word on the street is this will hopefully provide a beta release date and really get the ball rolling in terms of it finally being 'unwrapped'.

jimrawr

Mar 4, 2003
Very excited for this game as well. Haven't really enjoyed an FPS (multiplayer) game very much since COD:MW1

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
This looks interesting but Dirtybomb is amazing. Wrap tf2 in a quake shell and its perfect. Very high skill threshold though. So better bring your best game with you. I will give this overwatch a run but it doesnt look like it has great gunplay and is more about special abilities.