Blizzard suing Valve over DOTA name.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
If anything, DOTA belongs to the biggest modders that made the game, who are currently employed by Riot and Valve. None of which are employed by Blizard

If anything it's flat out Eul/Guinsoo's. Icefrog deserves ZERO credit to the name. It shouldn't be trademarked at all. Like someone mentioned before, FPS isn't, RTS, isn't etc. (at least regarding game genres) so why should DotA? And screw "MOBA," I've always thought that was a terrible term for these games.

Also, Icefrog is a dickface, so that may be swaying my opinion regardless of how godly I generally perceive Valve as being.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
And screw "MOBA," I've always thought that was a terrible term for these games.

Agreed, no one uses MOBA, never heard of it until someone said it in the LoL thread here.

It is funny though, if you consider "DOTA games" to be a genre but you also have a game called "DOTA 2." It would be like releasing a shooter and calling it "Shooting 2."

AVP

Jan 19, 2005
Agreed, no one uses MOBA, never heard of it until someone said it in the LoL thread here.

It is funny though, if you consider "DOTA games" to be a genre but you also have a game called "DOTA 2." It would be like releasing a shooter and calling it "Shooting 2."

How the hell is Defense of the Ancients at all a generic term for anything? Jesus...

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Trademarks generally protect against things that could fool someone into thinking it's related to the original. I would think a trademark for a MOBA game called Dota 2 when the original was Dota would fit right along those lines.

But the rub is that the original was called "Defense of the Ancients", not "Dota". If people werent so lazy and used acronyms for everything there would be no problem. :p

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001

I've seen MOBA used for Demigod, that shitty funcom game and others besides LoL.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
But the rub is that the original was called "Defense of the Ancients", not "Dota". If people werent so lazy and used acronyms for everything there would be no problem. :p

Intent means a lot for trademarks just saying well it's the acronym not the name isn't sufficient to get around one. Maybe if this was an Ice Cream shop name that would fly, but being that they're almost exactly the same game to begin with this is going to be an issue.

If you made a cola called just CC with the same taste and styling of coca cola your ass would be busted eventually.

Last edited: