Blizzard eliminates attunements for SSC and TK

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
I can't read this official post at work but my guildies just posted it.

Text

Quote from: Tigole

After a lot of thought and deliberation, we?ve decided to remove the attunement requirements to enter Serpentshrine Cavern and Tempest Keep: The Eye. While many of our attunements in the Burning Crusade have been good progression checks, a few of the attunements have turned out to cause unnecessary stress on guilds either doing the content or attempting to do the content. With Black Temple and Battle for Mount Hyjal thriving, we want to encourage (rather than prevent) new guilds and raid groups to attempt Serpentshrine and TK. We are going to leave the current attunement quests in the game so that players can still engage in the challenge and the lore of those quests should they choose to. At a later point, we are considering adding a final reward step to those quests as well (that way those who have already completed them would not miss out on a *new* reward).

We?re listening to feedback from you guys constantly and your opinions are important to us. We want this game to be the best possible MMO experience for our players.

Enjoy Serpentshrine and Tempest Keep =)

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
great news.

SSC attunement seems relatively easy, and I'd really question whether a guild should go into SSC if they can't kill nightbane and gruul, but The Eye attunement was a total PIA.

I'll be interested to see what -- if any -- rewards get added for completion of the existing quest lines, though.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
The 3 guilds doing those zones care, I'm sure ;)

Meanwhile no dev has even thought about PvP in about a year.

God, when is warhammer out? This pile of crap just keeps getting worse =(

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
The eye attunement was not difficult, just time consuming. I disagree with removing the attunements completely, I think they should have just made them shorter. e.g. SSC only requiring nightbane and not gruul, and the eye requiring magtheridon but not the heroic runs.

Anyway my guild managed to take out the second boss of the eye yesterday as soon as the servers were up, which was pretty cool.

Kur

Feb 19, 2005
While its great we don't have to do the attunement and that they want more people to do the zone, I don't see a TON of new guilds doing these zones because soe guilds can't even clear kara in one night, and barely have enough people as is.

I want 40 mans back dammit ><

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Could they finally be noticing a significant number of account cancellations?

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
raiding guilds that spent time getting attuned are pissed. gj blizz

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
I think they realized that the vast majority of their playerbase hasn't seen ANY 25-man dungeon, and the next expansion comes out in, what, like 7-8 months? I can't find the quote but I could have sworn I saw blue say somewhere they were aiming for ~ 1 expansion per year. I don't think they'll meet that, but financially it's in their best interest to do so.

That said, the attunements were a bit superfluous anyhow since, as I understand it, SSC and beyond will be impossible without the right gear. It's nice the attunements are out of the way but at the same time you can't just waltz in there in greens and get your free epics.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: hungfarover
I can't find the quote but I could have sworn I saw blue say somewhere they were aiming for ~ 1 expansion per year. I don't think they'll meet that, but financially it's in their best interest to do so.

I think that's been out since around launch or soon after.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
I think its quite funny that they opened it up for the scrub guilds. My current guild has been in TK/SSC for over a month now, even before most boss nerfs, and I can honestly say that without the right gear you cant kill any boss. People hoping to waltz right into Viod Reaver in TK (although an extremely easy fight) requires coordination and at least Karazhan gear to be successful. No guilds are going to be able to do Hydross (first in SSC) because most scrub guilds probably have not put the time in to getting the proper resist gear for the fight.

I was watching a couple guilds last night as we cleared SSC and say that these scrub guilds were getting completely dominated by the trash because they walked in with mostly blues, maybe a crafted player here and there. But when they got to Voidreaver, they could get him down to 10% everytime because its such an easy fight. A few even got him down, but its a pain to have people that havent even killed Gruul or even cleared Kara, kill a boss with T5 gear, then seeing them running around proud with it later that night. Good for them but dont act all big and proud and doing "/1 I got T5 hahaha" in general chat. /rant

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Soccerman06
I think its quite funny that they opened it up for the scrub guilds. My current guild has been in TK/SSC for over a month now, even before most boss nerfs, and I can honestly say that without the right gear you cant kill any boss. People hoping to waltz right into Viod Reaver in TK (although an extremely easy fight) requires coordination and at least Karazhan gear to be successful. No guilds are going to be able to do Hydross (first in SSC) because most scrub guilds probably have not put the time in to getting the proper resist gear for the fight.

I was watching a couple guilds last night as we cleared SSC and say that these scrub guilds were getting completely dominated by the trash because they walked in with mostly blues, maybe a crafted player here and there. But when they got to Voidreaver, they could get him down to 10% everytime because its such an easy fight. A few even got him down, but its a pain to have people that havent even killed Gruul or even cleared Kara, kill a boss with T5 gear, then seeing them running around proud with it later that night. Good for them but dont act all big and proud and doing "/1 I got T5 hahaha" in general chat. /rant

I don't think the change will really benefit "scrub" guilds (condescend much, btw?).

but it means new recruits and people switching their mains in raiding guilds don't have to stress about getting attuned... I'm pretty sure that everyone who's ever been in a raiding guild in any MMORPG ever can confirm how hard it is getting people to run an instance that they don't need the loot/rep/quests from when they could be doing something that's actually fun instead.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
I'm not quite sure why they did it. Since launch they've essentially given the middle finger to all the people older than 15 who've actually seen the world outside their mother's basement and had sex (eg. non-raiders). Why would they cater to non-raiders now after 30 months of taking their money, pissing on them and telling them they bought rain?

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Originally posted by: loki8481

I don't think the change will really benefit "scrub" guilds (condescend much, btw?).

but it means new recruits and people switching their mains in raiding guilds don't have to stress about getting attuned... I'm pretty sure that everyone who's ever been in a raiding guild in any MMORPG ever can confirm how hard it is getting people to run an instance that they don't need the loot/rep/quests from when they could be doing something that's actually fun instead.

Hehe, just a little bit, but I was one of them once back when I started and was in a ZG guild then all of a sudden I hopped into a AQ40/Naxx guild, I knew the feeling of being overwhelmed of all the actual raiding stuff. And when I use the term scrub, I meen any guild that is in greens and blues and have never actually raided before oustside of pug raids (social guilds).

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

Well, going with what you mentioned, I'd say a decent amount of the issues would be with coordination and ensuring all of your players aren't sucky. Gear can only do so much, but it is true that there is some nice crafted gear that you can get now in lieu of having to get tier gear. Like my priest is a primal mooncloth tailor and he's working on making the primal mooncloth gear. With that and Whitemend, he'll easily have over 1000 healing (he has around 700 right now) and gain even more stats. Although 1000 isn't much when I saw one of the priests in my Shaman's guild with 1900 healing :Q! Then there's also things like the new engineering goggles such as the Tankatronic goggles that my warrior is working toward making.

But when it comes to removing attunements, I think the idea is simply trying to shift focus off the "lower raids" into the newer higher raid instances (BT and Hyjal). Of course the lower raids are still important (and required for BT/Hyjal attunement), but after more and more raids are introduced... attunements will just keep stockpiling until attunement becomes a huge task. This really isn't comparable to attunements in Azeroth, as those were jokingly easy (MC and BWL) or just simply a money game (Naxxramas).

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
Originally posted by: uhohs
raiding guilds that spent time getting attuned are pissed. gj blizz

So what? They wanted to raid. Do you really think those guilds would have held off on raiding for 2 months if they knew that after that attunement would be free?

It's like those people that b*tch about how the price of a console drops a year after they paid full price for it. You got to play it for a YEAR.