Blackberry suspension in UAE from OCT 11-The right thing to do

santz

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2006
This is in response to many who are saying that UAE is a piece of shit for doing this. Please hear me out-

As much as I hate the fact that my BB wont be working here anymore after oct 11, I don't mind giving up this luxury to be living in a more safer environment. BTW, UAE already asked blackberry if they can install equipment to monitor that, blackberry denied as information is encrypted and sent to canada (blackberry HQ)directly.

UAE is already the most liberal and advanced country in the middle east but all the arab countries hate us for being so westernized. We have constant threats because of this from all over the middle east.

Is it really that hard to see the reasoning behind this in a continent (middle east)which has constant terrorists threats & explosions. I don't mind giving up this feature if it will make it harder for potential terrorists to plan and coordinate an attack without having to worry about the government finding out.

In UAE's defense, they did work with blackberry for over a month to find a solution, but UAE is not that big a market for BB to adjust its rules. UAE has given them a dead line till 0ct 11 to come up with a way to monitor potentially dangerous words. but blackberry has denied that.

Whatever the country has done so far in terms of restricting rules, it has been secure and safe till now with not a single explosion since at least 1990. Now compare this with Iran, Iraq, or any other country in middle east or Asia(pakistan). Please keep this in mind b4 posting any criticism

I am open to criticism.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
The company behind the BlackBerry line of products is not called BlackBerry. It's called Research In Motion, or RIM.

I hope RIM holds firm on this and doesn't compromise their security and privacy rules to make a tiny despotic nation happy. Want to stop fearing your own citizens? Instead of creating shiny new ways to spy on them, try paying them a fair wage and giving them a voice in government so they don't have quite so many reasons to hate you. Long term solution > *.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I have an idea. Pretend it's Israel instead of the UAE before typing your reply to this thread.

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
The company behind the BlackBerry line of products is not called BlackBerry. It's called Research In Motion, or RIM.

Yeah. That annoyed me too.

OP, I'm glad you feel safer. I guess that's what really matters. I mean, there's no other way for terrorists to communicate once the Blackberries are banned, right?

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

I hope RIM holds firm on this and doesn't compromise their security and privacy rules to make a tiny despotic nation happy. Want to stop fearing your own citizens? Instead of creating shiny new ways to spy on them, try paying them a fair wage and giving them a voice in government so they don't have quite so many reasons to hate you. Long term solution > *.

Yeahhhhh! You tell them! And instead of wasting all that money building islands, they should just get a big saw & cut their country off, Bugs Bunny style, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiTM2HQ0g98 ) and float it away from all those other countries that are harboring tons of terrorists who don't like the westernization of the UAE.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
I have an idea. Pretend it's Israel instead of the UAE before typing your reply to this thread.

Agreed.
If this was Israel doing this, everyone would be up in arms for months.
However when UAE, Saudi Arabia, or some other arab country does it, no one(or few people) cares.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Agreed.
If this was Israel doing this, everyone would be up in arms for months.
However when UAE, Saudi Arabia, or some other arab country does it, no one(or few people) cares.

Probably because nobody gives a shit about uae

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
If you read my initial statement, you would realize its about something else
No, it's not. There was already a thread about this perfectly recent but you wanted to create a new one so that your point would hold extra weight by virtue of its summary being an entire thread topic.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Those who would give up liberty for security deserve neither liberty nor security.

The sad part is that people like the OP fall for the government bullshit line that they need access to this stuff to make the country "secure" from foreign terrorists (sounds rather familiar, like how the Bush administration wanted warrantless wiretapping for the same reasons). The truth is that terrorists really don't need to use a blackberry to communicate, and there are myriads of other ways for them to communicate. This isn't about terrorists, it's about a government that wants to spy on and better control it's own citizens. They want to spy on their own people for political reasons and they want to spy on foreign business folks for commercial gain. RIM correctly told them to go F themselves.

"Right thing to do" just means you believed their lies and fell for it.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
When governments insist that they need to spy on their own citizens, when everybody is a suspect, there is something wrong with the government.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Yeahhhhh! You tell them! And instead of wasting all that money building islands, they should just get a big saw & cut their country off, Bugs Bunny style, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiTM2HQ0g98 ) and float it away from all those other countries that are harboring tons of terrorists who don't like the westernization of the UAE.

Percentage of Middle Easterners who want to attack the UAE because "they hate freedom": 1%

Percentage of Middle Easterners who want to attack the UAE because of gross human rights violations, profit hoarding by their "princes", and the distinct sense that their lives will never get better under the current regime: 99%

Getting away from the rest of the Middle East won't solve anything. The enemy is their own people. How exactly would bugging all BlackBerries in the UAE stop external threats, anyways?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Those who would give up liberty for security deserve neither liberty nor security.

The sad part is that people like the OP fall for the government bullshit line that they need access to this stuff to make the country "secure" from foreign terrorists (sounds rather familiar, like how the Bush administration wanted warrantless wiretapping for the same reasons). The truth is that terrorists really don't need to use a blackberry to communicate, and there are myriads of other ways for them to communicate. This isn't about terrorists, it's about a government that wants to spy on and better control it's own citizens. They want to spy on their own people for political reasons and they want to spy on foreign business folks for commercial gain. RIM correctly told them to go F themselves.

"Right thing to do" just means you believed their lies and fell for it.

Not much more to say other than THIS