Discussion Black waiter forced to serve N-word spewing diners decked in Confederate flags.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
@pcGeek serious question. Ignoring the personal attacks against you and feeling like people are attributing things to you that are baseless, do you understand the concern people have with these subjects of racism or the appearance of racism in this country?

Because I think it would go a long way if you were able to sympathize with them. While it certainly seems all their frustrations are directed at you, I think you are just a proxy for people who they see as people who seem to think racism in this country isn’t a problem let alone a growing one. Obviously you may agree or disagree with that opinion but for a left leaning forum the way to show them an alternative view and have it acknowledged is through facts and data.

I hope you are able to ignore the attacks and speak to their concerns, even if the reverse isn’t true.

Mar 11, 2004
@pcGeek serious question. Ignoring the personal attacks against you and feeling like people are attributing things to you that are baseless, do you understand the concern people have with these subjects of racism or the appearance of racism in this country?

Because I think it would go a long way if you were able to sympathize with them. While it certainly seems all their frustrations are directed at you, I think you are just a proxy for people who they see as people who seem to think racism in this country isn’t a problem let alone a growing one. Obviously you may agree or disagree with that opinion but for a left leaning forum the way to show them an alternative view and have it acknowledged is through facts and data.

I hope you are able to ignore the attacks and speak to their concerns, even if the reverse isn’t true.

I'm glad he went out of his way to make sure I know he read my post, not that I care, I didn't need to read his posts to know exactly what he thinks, because its the exact same argument he's been using for years.

Which is exactly why people called him out immediately for his dishonesty, because we know his true beliefs as he expresses them constantly, including exactly how he ended up doing in this thread. And that is exactly why some people didn't give him the benefit of the doubt or a pat on the back because he could actually declare the blatantly racist behavior as such.

His issue doesn't seem to be the racism and more with the fact that the people were dicks (in ways that weren't specifically about the racism; like if someone was told to leave but didn't, regardless of what the originating issue is, he'll take issue with them not leaving) when asked because, as his own behavior has repeatedly shown, he's ok with racism but he's not ok with impropriety (although that goes out the window when its Turmp or other Republican politicians; but somehow he pretends to care about it when its Democrats, see his pissbaby tantrum thread that he tried deleting his posts in after people just laughed at him making a complete and total jackass of himself). I'm not even joking, I think he might legitimately be angry about racism being called out because he doesn't recognize the word then written and gets confused thinking its about raccoons or NASCAR.

But if you guys wanna fluff him and then get all surprised when he shows who he is (which is the same as he's been the entire time), then knock yourselves out, its very easy for me to just bypass all of that. Just realize that behavior is essentially you guys going, "Look guys, he might've voted for Turmp twice, but that doesn't make him a Turmp supporter!"

Honestly, I think one of the few reasons he's been critical of Turmp is that he hasn't been racist enough for him, because he's called out Turmp more than he's called out racism. He's defending racism nearly constantly, with the ratio of him defending racism to calling it out being like 10,000:1, and the times he's called it out, its often he's not even actually calling out the racism but rather the people not following some weird rules that he personally believes in, which people take as though he's actually condemning the racism.

Hopefully he doesn't throw one of his pissbaby tantrums and try to edit his posts (like he's been prone to do as well) after he perfectly proved the supposed trolls right by doing exactly what they said he would. I didn't bother to see if he deleted his post where he literally said exactly "I didn't even notice the white people doing that" when he claimed the behavior was why he was raging about black people and not because of them being black.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm glad he went out of his way to make sure I know he read my post, not that I care, I didn't need to read his posts to know exactly what he thinks, because its the exact same argument he's been using for years.

Which is exactly why people called him out immediately for his dishonesty, because we know his true beliefs as he expresses them constantly, including exactly how he ended up doing in this thread. And that is exactly why some people didn't give him the benefit of the doubt or a pat on the back because he could actually declare the blatantly racist behavior as such.

His issue doesn't seem to be the racism and more with the fact that the people were dicks (in ways that weren't specifically about the racism; like if someone was told to leave but didn't, regardless of what the originating issue is, he'll take issue with them not leaving) when asked because, as his own behavior has repeatedly shown, he's ok with racism but he's not ok with impropriety (although that goes out the window when its Turmp or other Republican politicians; but somehow he pretends to care about it when its Democrats, see his pissbaby tantrum thread that he tried deleting his posts in after people just laughed at him making a complete and total jackass of himself). I'm not even joking, I think he might legitimately be angry about racism being called out because he doesn't recognize the word then written and gets confused thinking its about raccoons or NASCAR.

But if you guys wanna fluff him and then get all surprised when he shows who he is (which is the same as he's been the entire time), then knock yourselves out, its very easy for me to just bypass all of that. Just realize that behavior is essentially you guys going, "Look guys, he might've voted for Turmp twice, but that doesn't make him a Turmp supporter!"

Honestly, I think one of the few reasons he's been critical of Turmp is that he hasn't been racist enough for him, because he's called out Turmp more than he's called out racism. He's defending racism nearly constantly, with the ratio of him defending racism to calling it out being like 10,000:1, and the times he's called it out, its often he's not even actually calling out the racism but rather the people not following some weird rules that he personally believes in, which people take as though he's actually condemning the racism.

Hopefully he doesn't throw one of his pissbaby tantrums and try to edit his posts (like he's been prone to do as well) after he perfectly proved the supposed trolls right by doing exactly what they said he would. I didn't bother to see if he deleted his post where he literally said exactly "I didn't even notice the white people doing that" when he claimed the behavior was why he was raging about black people and not because of them being black.

The guy is hopeless filth. He is a lifelong deplorable and that's it. I've said it before you couldn't pay me $1,000 to have a beer with that guy. I don't need $1,000 that bad to sacrifice my dignity.

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Please quote where I said that.
I'm going to take the advice from @Xcobra so this will be the last response to you I have on this topic.

If you choose to ignore history and ignore the TONS of evidence given to us by TODAY'S Republican Party one could conclude whites and blacks are equally responsible for racism in this country. Tommy Tuberville the racist football coach, I don't care. It doesn't affect me. Tommy Tuberville the racist US Senator does affect me and my level of concern spikes. We have a lot of TTs in positions of power in the government.

I have not quoted you nor can I read your mind. I draw conclusions based you what you say. You have admitted being older so you grew up in an era where it was acceptable to treat black people like that worker. I suspect you are tacitly approving or don't care about black people being dehumanized and degraded.

To conclude blacks are either equally or more responsible for racism is a position I can only conclude comes from either willful ignorance or condoning the position of white nationalism. I didn't quote you but since you stated whites are not primarily responsible that means they are either equally or minimally responsible.

I have asked you many times to show the racist elected Democrats who are anti-white. If we were in an equal situation, it would be easy to point them out. Found them yet?

I can only conclude you are either indifferent or accepting of how that waiter was dehumanized. You're not going to change so there is no point discussing it further.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I'm not. Racism exist in all groups of people.
Sure. To varying degrees. Some places has more assholes than other places. Some sets of people have more assholes that other sets of people. For example, there are more assholes in the set of politics than there is in the set of middle class. There are more bigots in the set of uneducated than in the set of educated. So on and so forth.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Sure. To varying degrees. Some places has more assholes than other places. Some sets of people have more assholes that other sets of people. For example, there are more assholes in the set of politics than there is in the set of middle class. There are more bigots in the set of uneducated than in the set of educated. So on and so forth.

As I stated in not so many words.

Be careful as HomerJS is going to tag you as a racist... :rolleyes:

Reactions: cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Be careful as HomerJS is going to tag you as a racist... :rolleyes:
I think this got derailed from the start, when you went "There are assholes everywhere." It basically resonated like a "both sides"-Charlottesville kinda line. I can see how it can be read that way, can also see that it was probably not what you meant... and since then, shit just evolved like it always do :).

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I think this got derailed from the start, when you went "There are assholes everywhere." It basically resonated like a "both sides"-Charlottesville kinda line. I can see how it can be read that way, can also see that it was probably not what you meant... and since then, shit just evolved like it always do :).
What resonated was his claim blacks are at least equally if not more responsible for racism in this country. Not a quote but a logical inference since I stated "whites are primarily responsible" and he claimed that wasn't true. If that is your position then at least be able to back it up.

Reactions: Meghan54 and Pohemi

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
What resonated was his claim blacks are at least equally if not more responsible for racism in this country. Not a quote but a logical inference since I stated "whites are primarily responsible" and he claimed that wasn't true. If that is your position then at least be able to back it up.
Well that is in direct contradiction to his response
Which was in response to
So that should dismiss the 50/50 argument right?
The thing about responsible race. I get it. On the other hand, are we not the same race all of us? I think the only thing geek was getting at is that the potential for racism dwells in all of us equally.
Of course if you argue the point that over the last 200 years of US history, people of color has endured more racism from people of a more Caucasian color scheme than vice versa... I dont think he'd deny that. I may be wrong. *shrugs*.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Well that is in direct contradiction to his response

Which was in response to

So that should dismiss the 50/50 argument right?
The thing about responsible race. I get it. On the other hand, are we not the same race all of us? I think the only thing geek was getting at is that the potential for racism dwells in all of us equally.
I must have said that 100x. Was not the issue. We don't have to go back 200 years. How about 5 years. Republicans support white nationalists. Democrats don't support anti-white groups.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
We all have biases.... It's baked in.

I guess I should say I try and treat people as I want to be treated. Some people make it HARD.

Sure let’s talk about this. Nature vs Nurture.

You are saying biases that are at the genetic level. So you said it. Now prove it

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Sure let’s talk about this. Nature vs Nurture.

You are saying biases that are at the genetic level. So you said it. Now prove it

I have nothing to prove as I didn't say that at all.
I just said it is a fact of life that all people have biases for whatever reason the proof is all around you.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I think you have minor differences you just seem to be screaming past each other negating any real dialogue.
Fair or unfair as it may be, I think it's at least in some part due to established posting history, and immediate reaction or dismissal of similarly constructed commentary.

Just my 2 cents from what I've seen.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I must have said that 100x. Was not the issue. We don't have to go back 200 years. How about 5 years. Republicans support white nationalists. Democrats don't support anti-white groups.
Agreed. But take note of the rhetoric I use, I deliberately use 200 years to establish common ground and go from there. Its fairly easy to hit that "definitely not common ground" and just hammer away into the void. A more productive methodology would be to inch forward towards that inflection point where debate lives.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
I have nothing to prove as I didn't say that at all.
I just said it is a fact of life that all people have biases for whatever reason the proof is all around you.

The term "its baked in" would mean it is in our core.. or genes.

All around you is behavior that is learned from others..

The terms you use are just wrong all the time..

the the term that started this shit is asshole..

All racists are assholes but not all assholes are racist.

I have no idea why you cannot just call out racists as racists.. those people went into the restaurant wanting to pick a fight and a fight is what they got

• Haha

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
The term "its baked in" would mean it is in our core.. or genes.

All around you is behavior that is learned from others..

The terms you use are just wrong all the time..

the the term that started this shit is asshole..

All racists are assholes but not all assholes are racist.

I have no idea why you cannot just call out racists as racists.. those people went into the restaurant wanting to pick a fight and a fight is what they got

God really.

That is what you have to go on about. You must have a really sad life.

You are going to grade me on what terms I use when I post. You must be really hurting for Gotcha Points.

As I said earlier, I obviously didn't display the proper level of anger and apparently didn't use the correct words for you and your fellow posters.

Oh well. I guess you will just have to overlook my short comings.

Last edited: