Black Thursday......bad idea.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
It's a free country. It sucks, but this is how the system works

Well, if you want money, and you work an hourly wage job, it's not like you have much of a choice anyway. Retail employees will bitch and moan about it, but most stores will want ALL of their employees working at that time. And on the employees side, it's a guaranteed 10-12 hours. These are employees that likely are part time anyway, so if they turn it down, it's their own problem.

Besides, having Thanksgiving on thursday is overrated. I work practically every holiday (I get deferred holidays), as well as my dad, and my family has made it a practice to have thanksgiving dinner on the sunday before or after the actual holiday. It's much more practical for everyone involved, and I'm surprised more don't do this.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm looking forward to crushing some old people under my jack boots in order to get a $10 Sornix brand ipod knock off. It's all worth it.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Besides, having Thanksgiving on thursday is overrated. I work practically every holiday (I get deferred holidays), as well as my dad, and my family has made it a practice to have thanksgiving dinner on the sunday before or after the actual holiday. It's much more practical for everyone involved, and I'm surprised more don't do this.

Wait, you're the one with weird holidays, but it makes sense for more people to have thanksgiving on a day other than what most people celebrate it?

Oct 9, 1999
i did the BF craze 5 or so years ago. 2 years in a row. 1st and 2nd spots at best buy. every i bought i sold on ebay the next morning. made 600-800 profit both times and went snowboarding for cheap.

deals aren't the same these days and people suck even more.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
Wait, you're the one with weird holidays, but it makes sense for more people to have thanksgiving on a day other than what most people celebrate it?

I'm not saying that everyone should be like that. But in my family, a lot of people work different schedules with some working holidays regularly. So we just compromise and shift thanksgiving a few days. It works for us.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I don't care that it's earlier, but I feel bad for the employees that are forced to work. It's a holiday, let people enjoy it with their families.

Employees can always seek out new jobs.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Employees can always seek out new jobs.

Yeah, I'm torn on this one. I believe in free enterprise and I guess employees can always leave for another job. When the economy sucks though, it's tough to walk away from a job, so you're going to essentially force all these employees to not be able to spend thanksgiving with their families, and that's wrong. We need more people spending time with their families, not less.

It's a no win, but I'll vote with my wallet and simply not shop any of the stores that open early like that.

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
The retailers must try hard to get the consumers money. The company which starts earliest has the best bet to get the consumer money. I'm already seeing ads for this coming weekend for pre black friday sales. Personally, I would rather do my purchasing the week prior and then rest on the four day weekend. The longer the sales go on, the better the prices. That helps the consumer.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
The retailers must try hard to get the consumers money. The company which starts earliest has the best bet to get the consumer money. I'm already seeing ads for this coming weekend for pre black friday sales.

Black Wednesday :confused:

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Not true. Some deals I get are only available on BF. What is true is that the items are usually low end models. The HDTV I want will never be a Black Friday deal, so I can buy it anytime it's on sale.

PS: I load up on DVD/BR movies, Flash drives and other items that have super low prices.

Well - I can only speak for the single large electronics retailer I worked for but by and large the sales on BF were meh at best over the 5 BF's I worked. A lot of the big sale items were indeed special SKUs but in reality little changed. 3 USB ports instead of 4 or 550,000:1 contrast ratio instead of 500,000:1. If you kept an eye for a particular set of specs/manufacturer you could easily buy it for around the same price (or maybe a bit less) at some other time during the year. Same goes for make money after rebate flash drives and super cheap movies

The biggest difference was the concentration of sales. You might be able to get that blu-ray for $5.99 earlier and then have to come back another week for the other one you wanted thats finally on sale. Or the camera was on sale but the flash memory was on sale the previous week. BF has all of those sales at the same time so. Generally I have found much better deals on appliances, tools, TVs, computer parts, etc by using slickdeals or buying returned/reconditions/refurb'd when those go on sale throughout the year

Last edited:

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Free market. Isn't this a concept most "RESPECT THE FAMILY!!!" people like to endorse?

Consumers vote with their wallets, the work force works similarly. If employees collectively refused to work on holidays then the stores wouldn't be open. But people are willing to work on those days, it's their choice. If they left, people would be there to replace them. This is the system. It is not a perfect system. God forbid we add unions or laws that stick up for the individual rather than the corporation, then you have other people bitching, even when it's not in their best interest

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Got a great deal on 32" HDTV for the bedroom last year from Best Buy online. Sure, I had to stay up til after midnight to get it, but I did it from the comfort and warmth of my den. Beats standing in line for hours in the cold with a bunch of crazies.

Apr 17, 2003
I like to actually enjoy Thanksgiving dinner and I usually have to drive an hour or two to get back home. The midnight opening was fine. I had enough time to make it home and then go out.

This Black Thursday 9PM is going to ruin that. D:

so don't go?

Apr 17, 2003
I think it's disgusting. I'm all for Free Enterprise and all that... but leave the holidays alone. All you are doing is building discontent with your employees who have to work. Leave the holidays alone.

most larger companies pay a lot more to employees to work on holidays...I know when I was working retail, most of the employees were happy to get scheduled on a holiday and there was always someone waiting to take a shift if another employee didn't want it.

Apr 17, 2003
I read a piece in the WSJ a little while back where they analyzed deals over the course of the year and compared them to black friday deals for the last 5 years. The conclusion was there was black friday has no better deals than any other time of the year. They were often the same stuff they were already putting on sale the month before.

I certainly haven't seen any must buys in recent memory in any of the fliers. Like most things, the marketers have caught on the consumer behavior and adapted.

It depends on the products I would assume. I know I have made at least some purchases on the last 5 black fridays (mostly online) because they were the best deals for those products at the time.

Apr 17, 2003
Free market. Isn't this a concept most "RESPECT THE FAMILY!!!" people like to endorse?

Consumers vote with their wallets, the work force works similarly. If employees collectively refused to work on holidays then the stores wouldn't be open. But people are willing to work on those days, it's their choice. If they left, people would be there to replace them. This is the system. It is not a perfect system. God forbid we add unions or laws that stick up for the individual rather than the corporation, then you have other people bitching, even when it's not in their best interest

+1

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
What we have now isn't even capitalism anymore. So all those types of arguments are invalid. Under capitalism the banks would have gone under in 2008 and everything would be different.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Is there typically a thread here gathering word of some of the best sales out there? Whether online or otherwise.