Question Black Screen Z390 Pro4 Motherboard

Unknownn23

Jul 9, 2019
I recently installed a new ASRock Z390 Pro4. At first everything seemed to go just fine until I began installing the drivers from the disk that came with it. After a few seconds of clicking install, my computer restarted but only displayed a black screen. My monitor is on and the cables are secure. I've tried turning the PC off and then on but I still get the same black screen. Does anyone know what I should do?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Hard to say, but you can try clearing your CMOS (look in the manual as the pins / switches are different on every board). Make sure to have your PC unplugged from the wall when you do this Try the OS repair method first.

Another thing, you shouldn't install drivers from discs that come with motherboards. They are usually way out of date, so it's best to either download current ones before hand, or do it after you first boot into your desktop (Windows 10 handles a lot of them automatically).

Edit, upon further thinking, it could be the motherboard software hosed your OS, so you can also try booting from your installation media to see if it can be repaired (if that ends up being the cause). You can always create a bootable USB drive directly from Microsoft here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you're able to get the PC working again, make sure not to install any motherboard utilities either, as most of them are absolute junk.

Last edited:

Unknownn23

Jul 9, 2019
Hard to say, but you can try clearing your CMOS (look in the manual as the pins / switches are different on every board). Make sure to have your PC unplugged from the wall when you do this Try the OS repair method first.

Another thing, you shouldn't install drivers from discs that come with motherboards. They are usually way out of date, so it's best to either download current ones before hand, or do it after you first boot into your desktop (Windows 10 handles a lot of them automatically).

Edit, upon further thinking, it could be the motherboard software hosed your OS, so you can also try booting from your installation media to see if it can be repaired (if that ends up being the cause). You can always create a bootable USB drive directly from Microsoft here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you're able to get the PC working again, make sure not to install any motherboard utilities either, as most of them are absolute junk.

How do I try the OS repair method or boot from installation media upon turning on my PC? Once I press the on button, the screen is just black and I am unable to do really anything.

Thanks so much for your insight by the way. I'm still relatively new to upgrades in genera.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
So your're not even getting your BIOS post screen (by pressing either the F2 or Del key)? If you can get into your BIOS, you can change the setting to have it boot off of the USB drive first.

If that's not the case, you might want to try and clear your CMOS then (page 19 in the manual). I looked at Asrock's CD installer (in the manual), and maybe one of the utilities changed your hardware settings or something (like applied an unstable overclock or something). It almost made me cringe looking at all the crap they install by using that disc.

Unknownn23

Jul 9, 2019
I got everything to work. It took a bunch of restarting but now everything is working. Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it!

Reactions: UsandThem