Black Screen After Installing Nvidia Drivers From Disk and Newest Ones From Site

joshj2398

Dec 27, 2013
So I just built my PC and now I put in the driver disk that came with my ASUS DC2 GTX 780 and installed all the drivers and did the same with the newest drivers from the site. It asked me to reboot so I did and now I'm stuck at a black screen with my cursor. To get out, I have to enter safe mode and uninstall the drivers and restart in normal mode. In case it's important, I have a Maximus VI Hero and a 4670k. This has occurred with many different driver versions, however I haven't tested all of em.

In case you wanna know what's been done to try to help, look here and here: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1948738/black-screen-cursor-installing-drivers.html

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic...-drivers-from-disk-and-newest-ones-from-site/

joshj2398

Dec 27, 2013
That's the weird thing It isn't showing up under Display adapters. All that's there is "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter."

joshj2398

Dec 27, 2013
Try disabling your integrated graphics.

That's the weird thing It isn't showing up under Display adapters. All that's there is "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter." Is it possibly because my GPU is plugged in?

Last edited:

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
The instructions for this should be in the manual that came with your motherboard -- look for the display message when you're POSTing that gives you the command to enter Setup (BIOS).

joshj2398

Dec 27, 2013
The instructions for this should be in the manual that came with your motherboard -- look for the display message when you're POSTing that gives you the command to enter Setup (BIOS).

Alright I'll give it a try and then post if this worked or not.

joshj2398

Dec 27, 2013

Ok so I went into bios, Advanced Mode --> Advanced--> System Something Config.--> Something about main display--> turned off Auto and put PCIe and then tried booting and I still got a black screen. Had to go in safe mode and uninstall the drivers to reenter normal mode. In device manager under display adapters all there is is "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter." I have no clue what that is and I have no clue if the onboard graphics on the 4670k are disabled.

Last edited:

joshj2398

Dec 27, 2013
Check for a bios update for your motherboard. UEFI seems to cause a lot of problems like this for people, and a bios update might fix it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1946448/graphics-card-black-screen-blinking-underscore.html

The boot options also might be the culprit:

http://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=59421
http://www.eightforums.com/graphic-cards/18650-my-video-card-fails-operate-under-uefi.html

I already updated the bios and that didn't help. I also did the thing in the EVGA link and that didn't work either. Just another black screen. Maybe since that issue occurred with a Windows 8 user and it helped him it would be worth it to upgrade to Windows 8...?

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I already updated the bios and that didn't help. I also did the thing in the EVGA link and that didn't work either. Just another black screen. Maybe since that issue occurred with a Windows 8 user and it helped him it would be worth it to upgrade to Windows 8...?

Just open a support ticket with Asus. Maybe there is a problem with the card. You can still research solutions in the mean time.

joshj2398

Dec 27, 2013
Just open a support ticket with Asus. Maybe there is a problem with the card. You can still research solutions in the mean time.

I have and they sucked. I called 3 times and all 3 times they told me to place the card in a different PCIe slot which I did the first time and it didn't work. I think I'll take my chances upgrading to Windows 8 and proceeding with the steps in the EVGA link and if it still doesn't work I will then do a fresh install on my SSD after wiping it clean.

grss1982

Mar 11, 2012
So I just built my PC and now I put in the driver disk that came with my ASUS DC2 GTX 780 and installed all the drivers and did the same with the newest drivers from the site. It asked me to reboot so I did and now I'm stuck at a black screen with my cursor. To get out, I have to enter safe mode and uninstall the drivers and restart in normal mode. In case it's important, I have a Maximus VI Hero and a 4670k. This has occurred with many different driver versions, however I haven't tested all of em.

In case you wanna know what's been done to try to help, look here and here: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1948738/black-screen-cursor-installing-drivers.html

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic...-drivers-from-disk-and-newest-ones-from-site/

Are you using an HDMI cable between the video card and the monitor? If so try using a DVI cable or the old reliable DB-9 cable.

joshj2398

Dec 27, 2013
Are you using an HDMI cable between the video card and the monitor? If so try using a DVI cable or the old reliable DB-9 cable.

I have both the dual link dvi cable plugged in as well as the HDMI. Is that how it's supposed to be or just the dvi?

joshj2398

Dec 27, 2013
Solution solved the [redacted] issue was the [redacted] hdmi cable was plugged in when it wasnt supposed to be hahahahahhahahahahahahha what the [redacted] i was troubleshooting for 2 whole days and it never occurred to me!!!!!

I'm very happy to hear that you've resolved the issue, but profanity isn't allowed in the technical forums.
-- stahlhart

Last edited by a moderator:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Solution solved the [redacted] issue was the [redacted] hdmi cable was plugged in when it wasnt supposed to be hahahahahhahahahahahahha what the [redacted] i was troubleshooting for 2 whole days and it never occurred to me!!!!!

You had HDMI and DVI plugged into the same monitor? While its odd, I wouldnt think that would be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
LOL :D

Another possible case was the dreaded Windows 8.x auto driver install. Installs drivers, dont ask for reboot, add new driver on top and things goes crazy.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
First to come to mind was Win 8.1 related. Quite a few users have complained of black screen issues not just from drivers but also windows updates. Good thing it was as simple as the cable.

el etro

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2013
It happened with my GTX 670. Was HDMI conection too.

You should always check if the edges of HDMI connector are not making contact with the case(it happens even on high end cases). Is a thing that happens with so big cards.
Don't worry when you see black/weird screen as you turn on the computer.