Black "round" button on power supply

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
Can anyone tell me what the function/purpose is of the little round black push button located next to the indicator light on the back of the power supply of a Dell Optiplex model 760 computer is ?

Please note that this is not a horizontal shaped button similar to most power supplies that I have seen, but is a very small round black button that is pushed straight in and is spring loaded.

Yes, I called Dell but the answer that I got from them makes no sense. They said that if the button is in the wrong state that the computer would not start (i.e. just like every other power supply that I have ever seen works) but that is NOT true !!!

I am thinking that this button is just a reset button but I just want to make sure.

Thanks.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Definitely a reset button.

If there is a short in the PSU, that button will pop out. You push it in to reset it. If it continues to pop, there is a short or some other electrical issue either with the PSU itself, or the components it powers. It's a safety mechanism.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Its like on a water protected power socket

Yes and no. You are talking about a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) vs a simple circuit breaker... not the same thing, but gives the same result. :biggrin: