Black ops 2 or something else?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Wrong, you're creating a false definition of a word to suit your argument. Upgrade doesn't mean leaps and bounds ahead of what was replaced, I'm not going to bother with a dictionary, you know this. You would say a "huge upgrade" or something along those lines to denote such an improvement. While I will concede that the engine used only receives minor upgrades, it's still an upgrade nonetheless, the new is better than the old. BLOPS 2 uses DX 11 -- upgrade. The question isn't upgrade or not an upgrade, but how much of an upgrade.

I've never owned a CoD game, but just look at some videos, BLOPS 2 looks noticeably better than CoD 4, the engine has been upgraded. I'm certain you'll come back and reply with "semantics", but to someone like me who has no stake in the argument, is neither a fanboy or a hater, the engine has clearly been upgraded over the years. How big of an upgrade is the only debate, to argue that there has been no upgrade, no improvement at all, is a point you can't successfully argue.

Uses DX11? There is no tessellation, no compute shaders. I bet they just used the DX11 compression features and then use that as a basis to advertise "this is a DX11 enabled game" when in fact it's still running off DX9. What was said is correct. They use the same engine with very very minor tweaks that do nothing visually. Of course it looks a little better...we have cards that can do better filtering and AA.

0___________0

May 5, 2012
Uses DX11? There is no tessellation, no compute shaders. I bet they just used the DX11 compression features and then use that as a basis to advertise "this is a DX11 enabled game" when in fact it's still running off DX9. What was said is correct. They use the same engine with very very minor tweaks that do nothing visually. Of course it looks a little better...we have cards that can do better filtering and AA.

Nope, it doesn't use the DX9 API anymore, hence why you can't run the game on Windows XP.

Lighting, post processing, shadows, this stuff looks better than it did in CoD games years ago. The engine has been upgraded, if you're going to try and tell me that the engine has seen no upgrades since it first ran on, what, DX7? Then you're pretty clueless.

I'd wage there's not much resemblance in code to the original id tech 3 engine or whatever they used, this one is superior, it's been upgraded, it looks better.

Last edited:

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
http://www.justcdkeys.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-2-cd-key
Okay so this website, which I know is legit because I bought some keys from their sister website before, has BO2 steam CD key for only $48.99. I contacted them and asked them some questions, the following is the email reply answering the questions
Hello,

Black Ops 2 Pre-order
1) Is it Region FREE
Yes region free
2) Does it need VPN activation
No
3) Is the default language English
Yes
4) Will it have the Nuketown DLC included with Pre-order?
Not sure
5) Is it US region or EU ?
Sourced from EU

Thank you.

I'm tempted to buy, because again, I know its legit but what does it mean that its European (EU) Source? I know my Dead Island Key I bought Last year was EU as well and I didn't notice any difference and was able to play with my friend here in US. Someone know what difference is?
Second Question: Is there any possibility that BO2 prices will go down on or before Black Friday or by Christmas? If so by how much?

Last edited:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Wrong, you're creating a false definition of a word to suit your argument. Upgrade doesn't mean leaps and bounds ahead of what was replaced, I'm not going to bother with a dictionary, you know this. You would say a "huge upgrade" or something along those lines to denote such an improvement. While I will concede that the engine used only receives minor upgrades, it's still an upgrade nonetheless, the new is better than the old. BLOPS 2 uses DX 11 -- upgrade. The question isn't upgrade or not an upgrade, but how much of an upgrade.

I've never owned a CoD game, but just look at some videos, BLOPS 2 looks noticeably better than CoD 4, the engine has been upgraded. I'm certain you'll come back and reply with "semantics", but to someone like me who has no stake in the argument, is neither a fanboy or a hater, the engine has clearly been upgraded over the years. How big of an upgrade is the only debate, to argue that there has been no upgrade, no improvement at all, is a point you can't successfully argue.

from the video's i've seen, the graphics do look much better than the previous games.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Nope, it doesn't use the DX9 API anymore, hence why you can't run the game on Windows XP.

Lighting, post processing, shadows, this stuff looks better than it did in CoD games years ago. The engine has been upgraded, if you're going to try and tell me that the engine has seen no upgrades since it first ran on, what, DX7? Then you're pretty clueless.

I'd wage there's not much resemblance in code to the original id tech 3 engine or whatever they used, this one is superior, it's been upgraded, it looks better.

You are the clueless one. The original CoD4 which IS THE SAME ENGINE is DX9. They can force adoption of new DX by using DX10/DX11 exclusive texture compression features and nothing else. It really is that simple.

If you don't think CoD is stagnating the industry you are beyond hope.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Can I get an answer plz before my question gets lost? I kinda want to buy it now but I'm reluctant since I don't have an answer to my questions. Thank you

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
No, there's no chance Black Ops prices will go down. Are you kidding? MW3 is still full price.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
5) Is it US region or EU ?
Sourced from EU

Thank you.

I'm tempted to buy, because again, I know its legit but what does it mean that its European (EU) Source? I know my Dead Island Key I bought Last year was EU as well and I didn't notice any difference and was able to play with my friend here in US. Someone know what difference is? and is it worth buying if its EU
How bout this question?

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
Still not sure what ill do. i ran across Medal of Honor: Warfighter at Origin for either 35.99 or 41.99 depending on which version. I've never heard of Origin. I'm guessing its like Steam???

I do tend to like the actual media rather than downloading but I'm considering.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Still not sure what ill do. i ran across Medal of Honor: Warfighter at Origin for either 35.99 or 41.99 depending on which version. I've never heard of Origin. I'm guessing its like Steam???

Origin is EA's digital distribution software. Like Steam but mostly EA titles.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012

I only paid $30 for MOHWF, really liking! I paid $30 because I had Battlefield 3 Premium. This the video I made on it
http://youtu.be/BC03rKQrYjY

0___________0

May 5, 2012
Can I get an answer plz before my question gets lost? I kinda want to buy it now but I'm reluctant since I don't have an answer to my questions. Thank you

It means that they key you will receive came from a source in the European Union. The only difference is in the key, maybe languages as well.

You are the clueless one. The original CoD4 which IS THE SAME ENGINE is DX9. They can force adoption of new DX by using DX10/DX11 exclusive texture compression features and nothing else. It really is that simple.

No, it's not the same engine, the engine now uses the DX11 API, which has backwards compatibility for 10.1. This is why the game doesn't run on XP, it doesn't use DX9 anymore, at all. There is nothing of DX9 APIs, Direct3D, DirectSound, etc. used in this engine, it's all been moved to DX11. The engine used in CoD4 and BLOPS 2 are different, one is DX9 and the other is DX11, and one looks noticeably better.

And as I said, lighting, post processing, shadows, etc. are improved, the engine has been upgraded, which is my original point, one that you haven't been able to disprove.

This is an engine based off of another engine that was originally DX7. Seriously, if you think the engine isn't capable of greater graphics than at its inception, you need help. It's pretty apparent, watch some videos, the engine has been upgraded.

If you don't think CoD is stagnating the industry you are beyond hope.

Try some reading comprehension, I never said anything about whether it's causing stagnation, merely that the engine and graphics have improved over time throughout the series. Which is a fact, how much it's improved is up for debate.

Why don't you go thread crap elsewhere.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It means that they key you will receive came from a source in the European Union. The only difference is in the key, maybe languages as well.

No, it's not the same engine, the engine now uses the DX11 API, which has backwards compatibility for 10.1. This is why the game doesn't run on XP, it doesn't use DX9 anymore, at all. There is nothing of DX9 APIs, Direct3D, DirectSound, etc. used in this engine, it's all been moved to DX11. The engine used in CoD4 and BLOPS 2 are different, one is DX9 and the other is DX11, and one looks noticeably better.

And as I said, lighting, post processing, shadows, etc. are improved, the engine has been upgraded, which is my original point, one that you haven't been able to disprove.

This is an engine based off of another engine that was originally DX7. Seriously, if you think the engine isn't capable of greater graphics than at its inception, you need help. It's pretty apparent, watch some videos, the engine has been upgraded.

Try some reading comprehension, I never said anything about whether it's causing stagnation, merely that the engine and graphics have improved over time throughout the series. Which is a fact, how much it's improved is up for debate.

Why don't you go thread crap elsewhere.

Cause it's not thread crapping just because you don't like the truth.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
What you have is an unsubstantiated opinion, your posts are entirely devoid of facts and evidence. Everything you've posted so far is completely wrong, lol.

Everything you posted is fanboy drivel.

Talking about how they do a new engine...they don't and it's not even a question.

0___________0

May 5, 2012
Everything you posted is fanboy drivel.

Talking about how they do a new engine...they don't and it's not even a question.

Everything I've posted is correct, this is the difference between our posts.

I've never owned a CoD game. Only ever played one, played MW3 on a Steam free weekend and decided that I didn't like it, although I might buy this one, I don't rule out games based on blind hate. I also never said they "do a new engine", I said they upgrade it and that the engine used for BLOPS 2 is different from the engine used in CoD4, which is true, never said it was a new engine. A lot of code has been rewritten across the years.

As I said, everything you've posted it completely false.

You have no rebuttal to anything, no evidence, your entire basis of judgement is hate. The only thing you've posted, that this is the same DX9 engine, isn't even true.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
F*** YES! Made the decision and bought Black Ops 2! :cool: this is my first COD game I ever bought! hahaha Whole thing is about 22GB to play. pre-loading now.

Last edited:

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Everything I've posted is correct, this is the difference between our posts.

I've never owned a CoD game. Only ever played one, played MW3 on a Steam free weekend and decided that I didn't like it, although I might buy this one, I don't rule out games based on blind hate. I also never said they "do a new engine", I said they upgrade it and that the engine used for BLOPS 2 is different from the engine used in CoD4, which is true, never said it was a new engine. A lot of code has been rewritten across the years.

As I said, everything you've posted it completely false.

You have no rebuttal to anything, no evidence, your entire basis of judgement is hate. The only thing you've posted, that this is the same DX9 engine, isn't even true.

It's the same engine, with superficial tweaks, and ported to DX11. However, DX11 has nothing to do with the engine itself, it's like saying a book originally written in Japanese was written in English just because it was translated over. Microsoft is pushing devs to DX11 to force XP (and hopefully 32-bit windows with it) out the door.

http://gamerant.com/black-ops-2-doesnt-need-new-engine-dyce-149032/

The biggest clue is that the X360 and PS3 are the primary dev platforms, platforms which lack entirely anything to do with DX11-specific features. People would freak out if the PC version had any notable differences other than resolution options over the console versions, and you'll notice that there is no difference between the PC and console versions of Blops2. Hence, no DX11 features at all (otherwise the PC version would feature graphical elements that would be impossible on console).

Is this a bad thing? Well from a business standpoint, when your primary platforms, the consoles, outsell the PC versions something like 50-1, we're lucky to see PC ports of the COD games at all. And with the consoles, there's pretty much no reason to even try a new engine, the COD games are as good as they're going to get on ancient hardware and still hit 60fps. From a PC gamer perspective, they are antiquated as hell, but if someone enjoys them, more power to em.

What is dishonest is trying to make it sound like Blops2 is anything more than minor tweaks on the COD4 engine, just like it has been all along. That's simply the truth.