Black Mesa Source Countdown

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Xen was great! C'mon now, lair of the Gonarch? that was great.

don't you think the entire game should seem to change when you go to an alien world?

Maybe. But not from a hallway FPS to a.. Nintendo.. Metroid/Kid Icarus.. platformer. Do you know how many time I fell 80000ft from floating platforms and turned off the game in disgust? :colbert:

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
lol feel you bro anyone around our age knows this.

So you had to be a NES/SNES/Genesis kid I had some very angry moments.

Platform games that i've played don't have much of that these days.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I was an NES/SNES/Genesis/Atari 2600 kid, never did care much for Mario but I loved Castlevania and Metroid.

I would think being an NES kid would make you more tolerant of platforming, not less... but, maybe I misunderstood who Makaveli was speaking to.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I loved xen, half life had quicksave didnt it? Pretty sure thats how i got through xen :)

@Geosurface I came nowhere near to beating your typing speed unfortunately, got 57

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
I was an NES/SNES/Genesis/Atari 2600 kid, never did care much for Mario but I loved Castlevania and Metroid.

I would think being an NES kid would make you more tolerant of platforming, not less... but, maybe I misunderstood who Makaveli was speaking to.

lol I understand what you mean but it was always a love hate relationship for me.

I loved the challenge sometimes and other times it just annoyed the crap out of me.

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
I want somewhere I can send $20 or something ... most fun i've had playing a shooter in quite some time. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I mean, the original game was the genius, but to remake it with such love and obvious devotion is a fantastic undertaking.

10/10

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
It's good so far but I'm getting a bit tired of the platforming, the whole 'garbage disposal' sequence was a real drag imo. It definitely picked up when you got out of there though and into the zone with the experiments, very cool. I think HL2 has better pacing and variety to the gameplay though. I appreciate the wider variety of enemies in BM however.

One thing I wish they'd done differently is some higher res textures; like running through the labs and seeing books and notes and works in progress and bulletin boards and such, I feel like it would really add to the immersion if they were actually readable and clear. Some of the whiteboards in the experiment labs have some interesting notes on them that you can actually make out as it is.

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
One thing I wish they'd done differently is some higher res textures; like running through the labs and seeing books and notes and works in progress and bulletin boards and such, I feel like it would really add to the immersion if they were actually readable and clear. Some of the whiteboards in the experiment labs have some interesting notes on them that you can actually make out as it is.

I was also surprised that I couldnt read the notes on the bulletin board. There should have been enough resolution for that.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Finished it last night after having put it down for a while. Overall they did a really solid job thus far, but I think HL1 itself just never quite makes the jump from "good" to "great" for me.

I still feel like the platforming is way overdone, and through some combination of it being an FPS and using the Source engine I personally found it difficult oftentimes to really 'tell' where my character was. This was mostly a problem in that
bomb rigged warehouse
but was a minor annoyance throughout the game when trying to make various jumps.

The final encounter was pretty cool, though I had some FPS issues there. Took me a couple tries, overall I was pleasantly surprised at the difficulty (throughout the game). On that note however, it was really annoying having to disable Auto-aim and "view roll" each and every time I load the game [I think that's source though, I've had problems with source titles remembering settings before IIRC].

Looking forward to the Xen release.