Black Mesa Source Countdown

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I played this game in 1998 using Voodoo 1 or was it a Voodoo 2 card. Was a great game at the time. Probably the greatest.

Anyway, I'm not gonna play it again, even if it comes with upgraded grahics. I feel this belongs to my past....

Here's what I had for a card when I played it the first time:

30110952-2-200-0.gif

the Diamond Monster 3D, the first ever stand alone video card, I believe. Or at least it was the first "3D acceleration card" or whatever the hell... Voodoo 1 I think it qualifies as, but maybe not.

I think I got it for Quake 2 primarily. Or was it Quake 1?

Anyway...

take it from another old school gamer, CHANGE YOUR MIND about playing Black Mesa. I'm almost to the end of it now, will finish it tonight. It is incredibly good, and brings enough new stuff to the table to make it worth going through HL1 again.

One thing that helps for me is that it'd been ages since I played through HL1 all the way. This helps it feel fresh, but I am definitely remembering areas at a pleasant rate too. Remembering the basics of them... but not remembering so much as to make it boring or anything. I have a perfect mixture of bad memory, and them changing elements of it.

Just trust us, play this.

supremor

Dec 2, 2010
My game keeps crashing when I exit the lift just after getting the HEV suit, anyone had a similar issue?

supremor

Dec 2, 2010
No flashlight, it crashes repeatedly in the same exact spot. Sometimes it just says hl2.exe stopped responding and other times it gives me some sort of engine error.
Edit: managed to make some progress in the game but it crashes constantly for me to the point that it's basically unplayable. May have to wait for a patch to enjoy this one.

Last edited:

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
Uh.. no. Half-Life 1 had the Apache harassing you forever, until you finally got a Rocket Launcher and took it down from the side of a cliff.

Or a pistol.. lol

I destroyed multiple helicopters in HL1/Source. The one that harrasses you at the first minefield you come to - destroyed. The one that flies over the dam bridge - destroyed. The one on the cliff - destroyed.

Maybe you were not supposed to destroy it and think it was the same helicopter harrassing you. I just charged up the tau cannon and it was bye bye helicopter.

supremor

Dec 2, 2010
Well mine crashes constantly and usually during or just after a loading message. Maybe it doesn't play well with Surround, should try playing it on a single monitor and see if that helps but otherwise its unplayable for me as is.

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
No crashes here. Also I'm a firm believer in the flashlight being on at all times, especially when I'm outside.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I'm not sure a single CS game that was just released this year counts as a spree. By that logic, Blizzard has been on a Diablo spree.

Yeah ok, badly chosen word, agreed. I'll call it a fixation then, more fitting. And I forgot to add their fixation (now "spree" on that one would be fitting) on making hats for TF2. But anyway, point is "they would have had the time to do it themselves" being clear enough.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Would you agree that the helicopter in HL2 harasses you for far longer than the one in HL1?

Mmm.. maybe. I don't really remember the one from HL2, though. Was it that thing that dropped mines that you had to shoot back at it while Alex throws you health packs? :confused:

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Anyone spot the DayZ homage in Black Mesa Source? Hint, it's shortly after the military shows up in We Got Hostiles?

This game is simply amazing. It's sad that the best game I've played in the last year is a remake of a game from ages ago. They did an excellent job bringing it to the modern day. I hope valve hires these guys and gives a ton of money. They deserve it.

Last edited:

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
Stumped at this one spot (in Office Complex, just before the refridgerated storage room) -- could someone offer a hint?

bm_c1a2c0000.jpg

The vent above the ladder leads to the locked room where there's some extra ammunition -- I can't figure out how to scale the wall where the ladder has detached. Have tried stacking objects dragged through the vent, jumping from the opposite side, climbing up the rounded walls, picking up the ladder to lean it up -- all to no avail... (?)

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Stumped at this one spot (in Office Complex, just before the refridgerated storage room) -- could someone offer a hint?

bm_c1a2c0000.jpg

The vent above the ladder leads to the locked room where there's some extra ammunition -- I can't figure out how to scale the wall where the ladder has detached. Have tried stacking objects dragged through the vent, jumping from the opposite side, climbing up the rounded walls, picking up the ladder to lean it up -- all to no avail... (?)

I'm not quite sure I follow...but:

If you're stuck at the point in the picture, you just "speed run+jump" across that platform. (hold shift+forward and jump). Don't mess with the broken ladder. Just jump across. You can do it.

Otherwise, there's really no purpose. That ladder/vent leads to extra ammo, but is NOT how to progress the game. If you need the extra ammo/HEV charge, sure, jump across, but in order to advance, you have to go through the frozen food area. That's your real objective.

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
I'm not quite sure I follow...but:

If you're stuck at the point in the picture, you just "speed run+jump" across that platform. (hold shift+forward and jump). Don't mess with the broken ladder. Just jump across. You can do it.

Otherwise, there's really no purpose. That ladder/vent leads to extra ammo, but is NOT how to progress the game. If you need the extra ammo/HEV charge, sure, jump across, but in order to advance, you have to go through the frozen food area. That's your real objective.

I thought I had done the running jump, but must have executed it incorrectly -- I'll try it again; thanks very much... :thumbsup:

I just wanted to grab the ammunition more than anything -- I broke a window to the room and looked in, and thought I saw a box of .357 rounds in there, and those are always handy to have.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Anyone spot the DayZ homage in Black Mesa Source? Hint, it's shortly after the military shows up in We Got Hostiles?

This game is simply amazing. It's sad that the best game I've played in the last year is a remake of a game from ages ago. They did an excellent job bringing it to the modern day. I hope valve hires these guys and gives a ton of money. They deserve it.

I'm not really sure Valve is looking for talent that can rehash their ideas from over a decade ago. Black Mesa is a well done re-make, but it's greatness mainly comes from work done and ideas Valve themselves had years ago. If you look at the games from studios they have acquired (Portal and L4D) I get the impression Valve is looking more for talent that comes up with new ideas and game play mechanics (like the Day Z dev team).

The BM dev team did a terrific job on Black Mesa and it's certainly worth putting on a resume, but I don't think Valve will hire them. Perhaps id has some openings for a competent team capable of re-working an old title.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
This mod is probably the highest quality free mod I've played, serious props to the devs who've worked on this for 7 years.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Yea I just finished it the other night and I was blown away by how good it was, how much playtime I got out of it, how true it was to the original while improving it greatly and giving me new things to see. I can't imagine a mod being done better than this.

I can't wait to see the Xen mod they put out, I personally always liked Xen unlike many HL1 players.