Black Mesa Source Countdown

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
I'm so used to crouch jumping in css that it felt like second nature by the time I got around to half life and now black mesa. I'm weird though and played css before playing half life.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
The fck-up is not just the Crouch+Jump, but adding the "W" in the equation to jump forward that's the trouble.

Yeah, I get it. Crouch/jump + forward is sort of difficult on the keyboard because you have to do this three finger claw thing. That's why I suggested binding crouch to a button on your mouse. I have a tilt wheel on my Logitech G5, and I have crouch assigned to left-tilt. So, it's just 'W' with the left middle finger, space bar with the thumb, and a nudge to the left with the right middle finger on the mouse.

I have sprint assigned to the thumb button on the side of the mouse, which makes a sprint/crouch/jump doable as well.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
I use
Code:
bind mwheeldown +jump
in every source based game, another habit from bhopping in css. Though especially in HL and Black Mesa with the ton of weapons available Q tends not to cut it on quick weapon swaps. I tend to stick to the shotgun anyway and do the weapon swap juggle to get the magnum on my Q.

Everything else worth a damn is the first on the list so it's just 1 + M1 for crowbar, 2 + M1 for the glock, 3 + M1 for the machine gun, 5 + M1 for the grenade, works decently well and I've gotten better at it over the years.

Another thing worth considering for jumps where you have time is to just crouch and jump while shaking your mouse back and forth. It's called air strafing and it moves you forward when you clear the ledge another little source thing.

Last edited:

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Haven't played yet but I listened to the soundtrack and the theme song for this game is <hank hill> got dang beautiful </hank hill>

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Everything else worth a damn is the first on the list

Don't forget about the revolver... I think I'm using it more in Black Mesa than I did in HL. Perhaps they give you more ammo in BM...? Definitely the best head shot weapon until you get the crossbow.

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
that ackward moment when the best FPS games of 2012 are MODs
(BMS and DayZ)

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
So what about the Zen levels that are missing?

It would be AWESOME if they released them alongside a remake of Opposing Force.

The XEN levels were arguably the weakest part of the original HL, so it might be somewhat anti-climactic to release them alone after how awesome Black Mesa is.

An Opposing Force remake would be mind-blowing....but maybe I'm just getting too greedy. ;)

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008

The XEN levels were arguably the weakest part of the original HL, so it might be somewhat anti-climactic to release them alone after how awesome Black Mesa is.

An Opposing Force remake would be mind-blowing....but maybe I'm just getting too greedy. ;)

I would pay good money for that after seeing the quality of Black Mesa.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009

I could be totally wrong, but I think the Xen levels are going to have a mutliplayer remake of HL1 as well.

I finally played last night, and at first I was disappointed because I only made it halfway through the train ride in before shutting it off, but things are far better once you get inside anomalous materials. Once things go south in the test chamber the updated lighting in the source engine really adds a ton of immersion to those sequences that was missing in the original.

I stopped playing after the zombie outbreak, but I will be getting back into later.

slayernine

Jul 23, 2007
slayernine.com
Was playing Black Mesa today and started hearing this like they were talking about a woman...

Scientist 6: "I'm afraid we'll be deviating a bit from standard
analysis procedures today, Gordon."
Scientist 7: "Yes, but with good reason. This is a rare opportunity for
us. This is the purest sample we've seen yet."
Scientist 6: "And, potentially, the most unstable."
Scientist 7: "Now, now, if you follow standard insertion procedure,
everything will be fine."

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
I would pay good money for that after seeing the quality of Black Mesa.

As would I. Hell, Black Mesa has a level of polish that isn't seen in a majority of mainstream releases.

NikolaeVarius said:
I'm going to go with "no" on that one. Unless you're some kind of video game hipster.

I don't know. I'm trying to think of what other first person shooters have come out in 2012, and can't think of any decent ones.

I'm having a HELL of a lot more fun playing Black Mesa than any "modern military shooter with regenerating health" knock off shit of the last few years...

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
old school guy here too

first FPS for me was Wolfenstein 3D... shareware
Quake 1 was my favorite online FPS
started Counter-Strike in like 1.2, in 2000 or 1999
Played Half-Life 1 day 1, Unreal 1 day 1 :)
Quake 1 day 1...
Ultima Online my first MMO...

Started WoW day 1 :D

first PC was an amiga or commodore as a young kid
first console Atari 2600 (Adventure was my favorite game)
started Zelda, Castlevania, Metroid series on their first entries
remember Pac-Man table top arcade games at Pizza Hut as a little kid

first RTS was Red Alert 1 :) I did play a little bit of WarCraft 2 around the same time.

first IBM PC was my 386 turbo in 1989, Packard Bell

Cutterhead

Jul 13, 2005
old school guy here too

first FPS for me was Wolfenstein 3D... shareware
Quake 1 was my favorite online FPS
started Counter-Strike in like 1.2, in 2000 or 1999
Played Half-Life 1 day 1, Unreal 1 day 1 :)
Quake 1 day 1...
Ultima Online my first MMO...

Started WoW day 1 :D

first PC was an amiga or commodore as a young kid
first console Atari 2600 (Adventure was my favorite game)
started Zelda, Castlevania, Metroid series on their first entries
remember Pac-Man table top arcade games at Pizza Hut as a little kid

first RTS was Red Alert 1 :) I did play a little bit of WarCraft 2 around the same time.

first IBM PC was my 386 turbo in 1989, Packard Bell

Sounds like you and I had pretty much the exact same childhood lol.

Monster_Munch

Oct 19, 2010
Anyone else having framerate issues?

I set everything to maximum and played it for a couple of hours last night but it felt a bit jerky in places. I've got vsync on, but I would have expected my PC to maintain 60fps.

I've got an i7 920 @ 3.8ghz with a single 7970, so it should be more than enough. I'm going to try again when I get home from work with fraps on to see what's actually happening.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Anyone else having framerate issues?

I set everything to maximum and played it for a couple of hours last night but it felt a bit jerky in places. I've got vsync on, but I would have expected my PC to maintain 60fps.

I've got an i7 920 @ 3.8ghz with a single 7970, so it should be more than enough. I'm going to try again when I get home from work with fraps on to see what's actually happening.

Yeah, it's not just you. There will be little stutters or jerkiness occasionally on mine too, even though my rig blows away every other source game without breaking a sweat (as it should).

Monster_Munch

Oct 19, 2010
Yeah, it's not just you. There will be little stutters or jerkiness occasionally on mine too, even though my rig blows away every other source game without breaking a sweat (as it should).

I guess Valve are just way better at getting good performance out of the source engine.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
As would I. Hell, Black Mesa has a level of polish that isn't seen in a majority of mainstream releases.

404 polish not found.

Its not polished. Issues like the jump height and the difficulty of some parts of the game would never have made it into a proper release with QA. Plus the performance issues that people are having are most likely mapping related. And I saw a few scripting errors related to triggers not firing.

Its not polished.

For a mod though, it is amazing. It blurs the line between mod and game I think. Its too much content to be a mod, but also not quite a new game. Its more game than mod I think.

Yeah I know people will say that people like me are bitching about something free. I'm not bitching - its still an amazing achievement. I especially like the new maps - they tell the tale of HL1 in a better way. On a Rail was a huge improvement especially. But that doesnt mean it doesnt have its faults, and that doesnt mean they cant be pointed out so that they can be fixed.

Also, I wonder what would have happened if they had released parts of it earlier, and got feedback on those parts. Being free, is it ever "finished"?