Black Mesa Source Countdown

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Not sure what all the whining is about this mod. This is EXACTLY what I expected based on playing HL1 and having seen the pictures, trailer, etc from the dev team. If anything, it actually exceeds expectations because the attention to detail and polish is way beyond what you see in most mods.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Not sure what all the whining is about this mod. This is EXACTLY what I expected based on playing HL1 and having seen the pictures, trailer, etc from the dev team. If anything, it actually exceeds expectations because the attention to detail and polish is way beyond what you see in most mods.

Exactly.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2TI4KWbYFs

12-days-till-Black-Mesa-Here-s-a-comparison-between-Half-Life-and-the-long-awaited-mod.jpeg

Surface-TensionsBlack-Mesa-vs-Half-Life.png

Nice, I wish we could do that in Game. Are these your screenshots?

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
Is it just me or is the hardest part of BM Freeman's complete inability to jump? I am doing all that I can to figure out the jump+crouch+move forward routine that is so simple in 99.9% of games and he just can't do it. I am in the room of suspended boxes onto which he must jump to get across but I can't even jump onto the smaller box against the railing. It's a joke.

On a couple of those boxes that were farther away, I pressed shift to run then I jumped....plus I quick saved (F6) ...Elementary:)

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
Its very good, but to me, graphics do not maketh game. HL: Source may not look as good, but to me, it plays better. Sure, some of the new level designs are probably better, but the gameplay stuff seems better in HL1. Like Vortigaunts not charging anymore, for one.

Another thing that seems different, is when the scientist let me in the room where you get your 1st gun he stood blocking the doorway and wouldn't move, he wouldn't follow me either, I hit him with the crow bar and he died.

Damn, I don't remember killing scientist ever before, LOL. I used to try and make bunches of them follow me because when they talk to each other it's kind of funny. I remember feeling bad one time when one got killed by a turret because he followed me too closely.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
+1 That's the way I feel too. But source already did that. These Black Mesa guys wasted their time and ours.

Admit it! you would have had the same experience if you just replayed Source.

I played hl about 5 times but I don't think I can make it through again. There is NOTHING new.. Nobody is going to play this mod except some old timers looking for nostalgia.

No, you're just full of shit. This looks and feels much different than HL:Source.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011

It's the internet. If people did not complain they'd complain nobody was complaining.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Add me to the "i'm having difficulties jumping" list. :D

You have to crouch/jump (not just jump) onto almost every significant object you need to jump on. I have crouch bound to one of the programmable buttons on my mouse which helps a lot.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
The fck-up is not just the Crouch+Jump, but adding the "W" in the equation to jump forward that's the trouble.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I've used trackball + numberpad combo for FPS since at least 1997.

Numpad 8 = forward
Numpad 7 = Jump
Numpad 9 = Crouch

Not too hard for me.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
This is a damn fine remake of Half-Life it doesn't feel amateurish at all.

It looks and plays like it should. Like a legit remake of Half-Life.

Valve didn't want to remake Half-Life since why they did Half-Life 1 Source which wasn't anything special at all.

They decided to see what these modders could do. It even got voted to appear on Steam soon.

It's awesome. Hope to see those other remakes get going too. :D

This is just dripping with detail and atmosphere. Much like Half-Life did back in 97.

It this was reviewed by PC Gamer as I remember reading the Half-Life review. I'm sure they would give this a 10 outta 10 too.

Great job to the Black Mesa team.

I feel like I am playing a 2012 version of Half-Life. It's epic. Does Black Mesa accept donations?

I'm glad younger gamers that only played Half-Life 2 or none of them can now enjoy Half-Life in a nice current gen form.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
This is a damn fine remake of Half-Life it doesn't feel amateurish at all.

It looks and plays like it should. Like a legit remake of Half-Life.

Valve didn't want to remake Half-Life since why they did Half-Life 1 Source which wasn't anything special at all.

They decided to see what these modders could do. It even got voted to appear on Steam soon.

It's awesome. Hope to see those other remakes get going too. :D

This is just dripping with detail and atmosphere. Much like Half-Life did back in 97.

It this was reviewed by PC Gamer as I remember reading the Half-Life review. I'm sure they would give this a 10 outta 10 too.

Great job to the Black Mesa team.

I feel like I am playing a 2012 version of Half-Life. It's epic. Does Black Mesa accept donations?

I'm glad younger gamers that only played Half-Life 2 or none of them can now enjoy Half-Life in a nice current gen form.

Ironically, I am sure that Valve... if they really wanted to, could have certainly done their own "real" HD re-make of Half-Life 1 during all the time that's been burning out since the release of Episode Two to this day, seriously. In the meantime they went on their Counter-Strike and zombie apocalypse spree. I know Valve doesn't "have to" do anything about Black Mesa but... man if anything they should allow it on Steam and then send an official "Thanks" to those guys, and perhaps invite them at the Valve studios for a tour and eating some pizza with Valve staff or something.

Anyway, they've done a great job. I've tried it and I am impressed, it brings very good memories.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Ironically, I am sure that Valve... if they really wanted to, could have certainly done their own "real" HD re-make of Half-Life 1 during all the time that's been burning out since the release of Episode Two to this day, seriously. In the meantime they went on their Counter-Strike and zombie apocalypse spree. I know Valve doesn't "have to" do anything about Black Mesa but... man if anything they should allow it on Steam and then send an official "Thanks" to those guys, and perhaps invite them at the Valve studios for a tour and eating some pizza with Valve staff or something. Anyway, they've done a great job. I've tried it and I am impressed, it brings very good memories.

Yeah, they definitely could've come up with a better version. However, weren't they occupied with Portal 2 as well during that time?

The nostalgia is simply amazing. I did not have internet at my place when i played HL and i remember getting stuck in certain areas of the game since i could not read any walkthroughs. So i remember every tiny detail of that particular area. Revisiting those places are just a very beautiful experience.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Ironically, I am sure that Valve... if they really wanted to, could have certainly done their own "real" HD re-make of Half-Life 1 during all the time that's been burning out since the release of Episode Two to this day, seriously. In the meantime they went on their Counter-Strike and zombie apocalypse spree. I know Valve doesn't "have to" do anything about Black Mesa but... man if anything they should allow it on Steam and then send an official "Thanks" to those guys, and perhaps invite them at the Valve studios for a tour and eating some pizza with Valve staff or something.

Anyway, they've done a great job. I've tried it and I am impressed, it brings very good memories.

I'm not sure a single CS game that was just released this year counts as a spree. By that logic, Blizzard has been on a Diablo spree.

thm1223

Jun 24, 2011
Holy crap I just discovered this. I'm actually in the middle of playing through the original HL and am debating whether I should just quit and start over playing this.

ajskydiver

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2000
Holy crap I just discovered this. I'm actually in the middle of playing through the original HL and am debating whether I should just quit and start over playing this.

End the debate and get Black Mesa without question. It's impressive.

I remember being blown away in '97 by Half-Life and trying years later with source and being disappointed. Black Mesa, however, brought a lot of great memories back and looks incredible.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
End the debate and get Black Mesa without question. It's impressive.

The only negative aspect is that Black Mesa won't have the full ending, since it doesn't include the final portion. Some may think that's a good thing though.