Black Mesa Source Countdown

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
(keeping it vague for newbs)
I doubt any noobs will be playing this game, it has no appeal except for nostalgia.

What I mean is, Half-Life 1 didn't constantly pull you out of first person to show you a cinematic conversation from a third person perspective, it didn't constantly present you with cutscenes and dialogue trees.
No but those 2-3 minute loading screens are boring my ass off.

HL1 gave you the crouch/jump thing
That doesn't work right and when you "just" jump, it's like all Freeman does is stand on his tippie toes. Instead of crouch/jump they have an animation of you crawling onto the higher level.

So far, I feel i'm just replaying source and the game feels 10 years old.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003

If you're experiencing 2-3 minute load times, your PC must blow. I'm seeing maybe 5-10 seconds on my machine.

Uh..well..it's a 14 year old game, "remastered" to look like an 8 year old game.

I mean...really?

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I personally feel that Black Mesa definitely looks better than HL2.

It certainly reflects some of the improvements the source engine has undergone since 2004. No?

Sep 7, 2009
I am also an 'old timer'; half life was one of the last games I really cared about, and I am lucky enough to remember the effect it had on the gaming industry as a whole.

To me, this is absolutely amazing. The graphics are fantastic, the changes to the levels are perfect, I just love it. I played maybe 4 hours yesterday which is a very long gaming session for me, and I enjoyed every bit of it.

Sep 7, 2009
I personally feel that Black Mesa definitely looks better than HL2.

It certainly reflects some of the improvements the source engine has undergone since 2004. No?

I agree completely.

I wonder how much of this has to do with the emotion and time that's put into it. A lot of what I like is that they got all of the little details correct..

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Yea SpatiallyAware, I feel like they must've gone back to these maps over and over and over again to add more and more little details.

I think that really paid off.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
Uh..well..it's a 14 year old game, "remastered" to look like an 8 year old game.

I mean...really?

+1 That's the way I feel too. But source already did that. These Black Mesa guys wasted their time and ours.

Admit it! you would have had the same experience if you just replayed Source.

I played hl about 5 times but I don't think I can make it through again. There is NOTHING new.. Nobody is going to play this mod except some old timers looking for nostalgia.

Last edited:

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
I doubt any noobs will be playing this game, it has no appeal except for nostalgia.

That doesn't work right and when you "just" jump, it's like all Freeman does is stand on his tippie toes. Instead of crouch/jump they have an animation of you crawling onto the higher level.

Why do you hate fun?

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
If you're experiencing 2-3 minute load times, your PC must blow. I'm seeing maybe 5-10 seconds on my machine.
Well I have an Intel Core 2 duo with 2 Gigs of ram, win 7 and a gtx560 Ti. Not the best but I can play Bc2, Max Payne 3, BF3 and every other game I can think of..

I wouldn't have thought I would need Bill Gates Gaming computer to play a 14 yo game.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Lawn I would have thought that the justification for this mod would be self-evident.

This is the FIRST time that the original Half-Life 1 campaign has received a real graphical update worthy of the designation. Sure, there was HL: Source but that barely did anything.

This is of course not up to the absolute bleeding edge of modern graphics but what engine could possibly make more sense to update Half-Life 1 into than Half-Life 2? Other than Half-Life 3. Which I wouldn't hold my breath for.

Sure it took them a long time to release this, but it's FREE for god's sake.

I don't know how many times you've been pounding the original HL1 over the years, but for me it'd been a long ass time and I'm very excited about this. i think they did a fantastic job, and I think it looks really good.

This also brings it within acceptable graphic reach even if only barely, of younger gamers who hadn't played it before.

Last edited:

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'd say I have a pretty fast/updated system as well - the "long" loading screens are annoyingly slow as well. They may take ~5-15 seconds, but it feels like 2-3 minutes. :)

We ARE playing a source game that's OLD - they added a few touches here and there, but basically you're replaying the original half-life. The mod is more nostalgic than anything else [at least for me].

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Why do you hate fun?

Apparently fun ate his baby lol

2-3 min load times?

installed on a 5400 RPM drive or playing on a laptop?

O maybe he is going for the real old school effect and your playing it on a 1.4 Ghz P4 :)

Last edited:

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
basically you're replaying the original half-life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2TI4KWbYFs

12-days-till-Black-Mesa-Here-s-a-comparison-between-Half-Life-and-the-long-awaited-mod.jpeg

Surface-TensionsBlack-Mesa-vs-Half-Life.png

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
the platforming is absolutely horrible. I tried to use a barrel to get on top of two containers to make it into a vent for 30 minutes...turned the shit off after that.

Half-Life doesn't do platforming like that. If you are trying to move a barrel to jump on you are going the wrong way.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Apparently fun ate his baby lol

2-3 min load times?

installed on a 5400 RPM drive or playing on a laptop?

O maybe he is going for the real old school effect and your playing it on a 1.4 Ghz P4 :)

I played HL on a PIII 450

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Is it just me or is the hardest part of BM Freeman's complete inability to jump? I am doing all that I can to figure out the jump+crouch+move forward routine that is so simple in 99.9% of games and he just can't do it. I am in the room of suspended boxes onto which he must jump to get across but I can't even jump onto the smaller box against the railing. It's a joke.

Oct 25, 2006
Is it just me or is the hardest part of BM Freeman's complete inability to jump? I am doing all that I can to figure out the jump+crouch+move forward routine that is so simple in 99.9% of games and he just can't do it. I am in the room of suspended boxes onto which he must jump to get across but I can't even jump onto the smaller box against the railing. It's a joke.

Not really. That was a one try affair.

The only thing I'm having trouble with is trying to land grenades. The range is damn far compared to what I'm used to

Last edited:

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002

I just assigned the crouch button to the side button on my mouse problem solved.

rgallant

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2007
Well I have an Intel Core 2 duo with 2 Gigs of ram, win 7 and a gtx560 Ti. Not the best but I can play Bc2, Max Payne 3, BF3 and every other game I can think of..

I wouldn't have thought I would need Bill Gates Gaming computer to play a 14 yo game.
this is the 14yr old game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdkOdmuzFZs
-put them side by side and you'll see the difference.

-this mod for me runs at 250-300 fps @ 2560x1440 , load times less than10 seconds when there is one .
-if your not happy with BM get your money back.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
I also find the jumping messed. I've played HL: Source recently, ie a year or two ago, and Freeman could jump a lot higher. I noticed it in the part where you first meet turrets and claymores - in HL:Source, its relatively easy to jump over ankle level trip mines. In BM, it took me multiple tries, and jumping against a wall seemed the only way. I dont know why.

Its very good, but to me, graphics do not maketh game. HL: Source may not look as good, but to me, it plays better. Sure, some of the new level designs are probably better, but the gameplay stuff seems better in HL1. Like Vortigaunts not charging anymore, for one.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
Its much faster. I remember being easily able to kill vorts with the pistol. You just waited for them to fire, and then ran out. It also made them much less dangerous when they were warped in, since you had about 5 seconds before they fired.