Black man attacked by racists, shoots them with 9mm pistol

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

maluckey

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2003
Blackjack200

In your scenario #2

Again, two separate convenience store robberies. In both robberies, one man grabs the cash while his buddy holds up the shopkeeper. In both robberies, the gunman takes a shot at the shopkeeper as they are making their escape. In one robbery the gunman shot kills the shopkeeper, in the other robbery, the shot misses completely. One cashgrabber would be charged with armed robbery, the other would be charged with both armed robbery and felony murder.

All of the perpetrators are charged with armed robbery AND:

In the first robbery, they also both get charged for murder, while in the second, they both get charged for attempted murder (if he was trying to shoot him and not just firing at the roof).

ALL the crime from the conspiracy belongs to all members, from the second that they join till they aer no longer part of the conspiracy.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Drift3r
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
Originally posted by: Skoorb
charged with murder during the commission of a crime. Even though he didn't pull the trigger, under Florida law, a person can be charged with murder if someone dies while the accused is committing a felony.

Man, now that is a stupid $**king law. I attack you with my friend, you kill my friend and _I_ get charged with murder? Retarded.

I think it's brilliant. The responsibility lies in who starts a confrontation, not in who ends it.

Kindergarten policy upheld as a law?

In this case I have to agree. I don't blame the man for defending himself but murder didn't appear to be the perp's intent. Were they even armed with anything?

This is more like a zero tolerance law then a law that has anything to do with justice.

I doubt their intent was to just give the man a good tongue lashing.

http://www.miamiherald.com/466/story/349532.html

With one wielding a knife, two men pounded on Hygens Labidou's roofing truck and shouted racial epithets, authorities said.

''N-----, get out of the truck!'' they allegedly snarled, according to a copy of a 911 tape

I missed that statement earlier but it still doesn't show intent to murder. It happened in the middle of the day and appears to be as much of a case of road rage as anything to me??

As I said I don't blame the man for shooting these guys, not one bit, but I don't see this as being worthy of a murder charge, not when it was the person defending himself who did the killing.

teclis1023

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2007
charged with murder during the commission of a crime. Even though he didn't pull the trigger, under Florida law, a person can be charged with murder if someone dies while the accused is committing a felony.

Man, now that is a stupid $**king law. I attack you with my friend, you kill my friend and _I_ get charged with murder? Retarded.

It makes complete sense to me, Skoorb. Think about it - these two men attacked this other guy. Because of the ensuing scuffle, one of the men is now dead. The victim killed him in self-defense, and is legally and morally safe. The death of this guy is directly linked to the scuffle. Because these two men started the scuffle, it logically follows that these men caused the killing by forcing the victim to be in this position.

It's legal wrangling, but it makes sense to me.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: teclis1023

It makes complete sense to me, Skoorb. Think about it - these two men attacked this other guy. Because of the ensuing scuffle, one of the men is now dead. The victim killed him in self-defense, and is legally and morally safe. The death of this guy is directly linked to the scuffle. Because these two men started the scuffle, it logically follows that these men caused the killing by forcing the victim to be in this position.

Then I guess if it's ever proven that Bush lied to start the Iraq war he can be charged with murder and since murder doesn't have a statute of limitations on it (that I'm aware of) that coui;ld happen 20 years from now.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Black man attacked in road rage incident by two bigots, not racists, there is a difference.

Sounds like they would have attacked anyone, I don't think his color was the motivating factor. Either way good job by the shooter, we don't need idiots like that out on the streets.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
When you use the N-word and your intent is to cause harm you are a racist. I am sure it was not a slip up.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

Then I guess if it's ever proven that Bush lied to start the Iraq war he can be charged with murder and since murder doesn't have a statute of limitations on it (that I'm aware of) that coui;ld happen 20 years from now.

State sanctioned murder is not illegal and the state and it's representatives cannot be held accountable.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Nebor

State sanctioned murder is not illegal and the state and it's representatives cannot be held accountable.

WHy did Bush order a hit?

I think lying the whole country into a war would trump your cards if it could be proved beyond a shadow of a doubt.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Drift3r
When you use the N-word and your intent is to cause harm you are a racist. I am sure it was not a slip up.
Couldn't agree less.

Latching on to some obvious characteristic of a person and using an insult based on such is not 'racist', nor is intending to cause harm.

Based on the available story, this was extreme road rage, not racism.

I fully support the right of the victim to protect himself, but not the murder charge.

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
My reaction to this situation would have been to drive away. This man's seemed to be killing someone. Can't say I agree with his decision, nor the murder charge on the aggressor.