Question Black Friday - what sort of deals to expect?

dsc106

May 31, 2012
It's been 7+ years since I built a system. Should I expect any good deals around Black Friday if I am looking for specific high end parts?

IE I am considering, pending feedback, the following:

Corsair AX1200i
Corsair Vengeance 128gb DDR4 RAM
Corsair MP600 2TB m.2 SSD
Corsair H115i Cooler

I mean, it doesn't need to be corsair, but you get the point. Is Black Friday usually pretty good across the board for system builders, or a little hit and miss? Where is the best place to shop?

If it's no good, I might wait until January to build a system, but if its good, I might build a new Threadripper build after Black Friday.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm not really sure how much "high end" (Aka Corsair) stuff really goes on sale on BF. Maybe it will, but a lot of BF "chum products" are low-end, specifically made for BF, or cheaper Chinese import stuff, designed to be sold cheap. You still need to pay for quality products.

It's possible that Corsair PSUs might be priced down a few bucks, but that's a pretty big if, given the tariffs now in effect.

(PSUs were a category heavily discounted last BF, I must have picked up almost 10 of them for builds and spares. This yeah, after the tariffs, I doubt that they will be that cheap again.)

Edit: On the other hand, BF or not, SSDs and RAM are going slowly down in price still, so they may be cheaper by BF, but that's not because of BF specifically, but just the market in general. Maybe there will be a percentage-off coupon on Amazon, Ebay, or Newegg, that one could use to bring down the prices further.

But if you want them, buy them, I don't forsee any of those products being specifically discounted on BF.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Black Friday lasts for almost a month now. Also one of the Black Friday deals I got last year - a 1 TB 970 Evo - wound up being $50 cheaper a half-year later when I actually needed it. So not everything is going to be a great deal unless it's something you need right now and can't afford to wait awhile longer.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
AMD cpus pretty much are the better value right now. They are already killer in value. Black friday might bring both camps out, Memory is getting cheap. SSDs are REALLY getting cheap. Most of the things you listed are probably not going to be black friday items, but we will see.

uiremia

Oct 13, 2019
Might the insignificance of the Black Friday sales be a function of the growing importance of sales on the Saturday and Monday following Thanksgiving – so-called Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday? I don’t think so. The inverse correlation I found when focusing just on Black Friday also emerged when I related the stock market’s performance on both that day and the following Monday with how it did thereafter until the end of the year. This is all good news: It means that you can savor your Thanksgiving dinner, watch football games to your heart’s content and enjoy hanging out with friends and family, all without needing to pay any attention to the initial sales numbers and how the stock market is reacting.