Black and White Motherboard

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Hey Guys,

I am looking at getting a new Motherboard, ram and CPU soon. I like the look of this motherboard below for my black and white build.

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Intel.../dp/B00518M74I

This is a Z68 board so it's a little old and kinda pricey.

I also like the AsRock Extreme 4 and 6 - I like the Extreme 6 boards because I believe they are full size ATX (My current mobo is not and doesn't cover up the cpu cutout). I am not really a fan of the gold caps though. The Asus Sabertooth Z77 is nice, but a bit too pricey. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The ram will be replaced with 8GB of Samsung 30nm LV memory.

The red slots on the Motherboard and blue ram heatsinks are killing the look

2013-01-01212843_zpsbed6a269.jpg

Pay no attention to the wiring, it's still a mess.

Last edited:

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I don't know if this board has what your looking for as far as specs go but I saw this during my own research:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813135283

Hey thanks for the recommendation. I not am not a huge fan of ECS. I owned one of their boards back in the day and it was a miserable experience.

In my search over the last couple of days I found this board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128583

It looks to be a new board from Gigabyte. It's a Z77, so it has all of the features I want. The price is a little high, hopefully it will go on sale.

I would need to remove the blue strips on the heatsinks or paint over them.. It's mostly black with a black PCB. I thinks it's a good choice for a black and white build.

Last edited:

JeBarr

Dec 14, 2008
I know nothing about the ECS board other than it is black/white. Probably too old anyways considering what you already have...but on looks alone it would be a decent match.

That gigabyte board you are looking seems to fit the bill and I was checking it out yesterday for myself but decided the third pci-e 3.0 x16 @x4 was no good for my situation, despite anything you might have heard from certain youtube reviews......cough linusTT cough cough.

Looking closer at the egg gallery and it seems the heatsink badges would be easily removed...though without physical access I wouldn't dare say it's possible.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I know nothing about the ECS board other than it is black/white. Probably too old anyways considering what you already have...but on looks alone it would be a decent match.

That gigabyte board you are looking seems to fit the bill and I was checking it out yesterday for myself but decided the third pci-e 3.0 x16 @x4 was no good for my situation, despite anything you might have heard from certain youtube reviews......cough linusTT cough cough.

Looking closer at the egg gallery and it seems the heatsink badges would be easily removed...though without physical access I wouldn't dare say it's possible.

Yeah no plans to go SLI or crossfire anytime soon. Linus Tech Tips :) Guy lives in a huge house to be working for NCIX....?

I am going to try to remove them when I get the board. Worst case, I will have to paint over them. The ECS boards looks great, I just don't wanna spend $100 on an old P67 chipset and a iffy quality motherboard. My current motherboard is iffy enough...

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I ended up getting the Gigabyte Z68 board. I got a killer deal on one.

DSC05282_zps945f25ba.jpg

Last edited:

Vectronic

Jan 9, 2013
^- love it.

Now you just need some nice, but subtle lighting (assuming you have a window).

I kinda did the same thing:
Case : Fractal Design R4 (Black with White)
PSU : XFX 750 Pro XXX (black and gray)
GPU : XFX 7750 Core/Single (Black/Silver with Red)
SSD : OCZ Vertex 3 (Black with Silver)
Cooler: Zalman CNPS 9900Max (silver, blue light)

Then added another red LED to the bottom, so the top half is blue light, bottom is red light split by the GPU.

Went for the Z77 Ext4 which works well in dim/dark... but that brown shows with direct light... :(

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
^- love it.

Now you just need some nice, but subtle lighting (assuming you have a window).

I kinda did the same thing:
Case : Fractal Design R4 (Black with White)
PSU : XFX 750 Pro XXX (black and gray)
GPU : XFX 7750 Core/Single (Black/Silver with Red)
SSD : OCZ Vertex 3 (Black with Silver)
Cooler: Zalman CNPS 9900Max (silver, blue light)

Then added another red LED to the bottom, so the top half is blue light, bottom is red light split by the GPU.

Went for the Z77 Ext4 which works well in dim/dark... but that brown shows with direct light... :(

Thank you! Unfortunately I am using the stock side panel, so no window. The PC sits under my desk so a window is kind of pointless for me. Do you have a picture of your build in the Case section? I would like to see it.

Last edited:

jr26

Oct 11, 2012
Love the black/white look nice job.

Posted from Anandtech.com App for Android