Bizarre OC Issues with Gigabyte X99-UD5 WIFI: BIOS and Utilities Disagree On Speed

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
Hoping someone can assist in the weirdness I'm experiencing with my new X99-UD5 WIFI rig listed in sig.

It went together fine and I flashed from the F7 BIOS to F10b via USB key. Loaded defaults, installed Win 8 Pro, then added all the chipset drivers and whatnot, then brought down Windows 10 Pro and got on with business; OS installed on the SSD and set the HDD as programs and data.

After benchmarking at stock, I ran the EasyTune utility to set it at Extreme (4.2GHz) and that seemed fine and dandy; benchmarks increased as expected. I then transferred the four hard drives from my old PC over because they had my Steam and Origin catalogs plus some data archives I wanted accessible. After getting all six drives hooked up, I couldn't enter the BIOS until I disconnected the one old WD drive. All were accessible in Windows, so this isn't a huge deal; the drive needs to be retired, so I'll just hook it back up to transfer the data off then store it away. What was weird was my external WD MyBooks also prevented entering BIOS until I moved them into different USB 3.0 ports on the back. Weird, but worked around it.

What's really got be baffled/worried is the overclocking situation. In a nutshell, while the BIOS shows I have a 43X multiplier, Intel Extreme Tuning Utility first saw it as 42X with core clock of 4.0GHz (do you even math, bro?) but 3DMark results show 4.0GHz is the max turbo speed. When I try to launch EasyTune it just spins and says it's loading FOREVER until I kill the WaitAdorner process in Task Manager. System Information Viewer shows 40X multi as well. Rebooted into BIOS, bumped the multi to 44X and XTU and SIV still show 40X and XTU's benchmark score is lower now.

Confusing things further is that at first XTU showed no sliders to adjust core and clock and EasyTune did work and could adjust things. After EasyTune stopped loading yesterday, XTU suddenly could adjust those settings, though the core clock remained stuck at 4.0GHz. Now XTU shows the sliders, but none are adjustable.

BTW, when I try to launch EZSetup it BSODs the computer every time, so I uninstalled that. The App Center is a joke, hectoring me to update three things for Win8 and my NIC drivers. Finally I humored it and the NIC driver install package said I had a later version already installed (duh) and the Win8 MSKB patches said they weren't applicable (DUH!!!).

So what's going on with my system? It seemed to be wanting to be awesome and now it's just getting flaky. No crashes (haven't Prime95ed it yet, but XTU Stress Test passed and gaming hasn't had problems), but clearly somethings funky. My previous rig, retiring after 6 years of rock steady service was an Gigabyte EX58-UD5 with an i7-920 OC'ed to 3.6GHz the whole time. Feeding it new video cards kept it current and I only built a new rig because I wanted a fresh start with Win10.

Hope someone can assist me. TIA!

i7Baby

Jul 23, 2015
The multiplier will change depending on the load.

If your motherboard utility software isn't working correctly then use bios for the overclock and try HWInfo for monitoring.

Contact Gigabyte to get your software problems sorted.