Bitcoin sellers remorse.... how many people are kicking themselves for cashing out>?

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
All of the ones that are less than 4 years old act like this.

Bitcoin is unique, you can't compare it to the existing system because it isn't supposed to match the existing system. The existing system is broken.

Besides, I'd rather take a few random 20-40% value dips if it means value increases overall by 10X or more each year. Better than USD, losing 10-15% to inflation every year.

Heh... I remember a time when people thought that flipping houses and financing the improvements with couple of variable rate interest mortgages was a surefire way of making fast cash as well. Housing values only go up, right? ;)

Oh well... I guess that losing a few grand in Bitcoin is still better than losing a house.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
I love how people are trying to downplay a 20-40% drop in a single day. I mean seriously. and this isn't the first time it happened. nobody without some kind of political/ideological buy-in would take something with this comical level of volatility seriously as a currency.

Last edited:

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
I love how people are trying to downplay a 40% drop in a single day. I mean seriously, 4-0, less than a day. nobody without some kind of political/ideological buy-in would take something with this comical level of volatility seriously

This was a 'day in the life of a .com' not too long ago. They went where many thought they would go, usually to zero, but many people made a lot of money in the meantime.

The volatility however will be very discouraging for businesses to consider adopting bitcoins as a pay option.

Last edited:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I love how people are trying to downplay a 20-40% drop in a single day. I mean seriously. and this isn't the first time it happened. nobody without some kind of political/ideological buy-in would take something with this comical level of volatility seriously as a currency.

Just 20 to 40%? It went from a high of $266 to a low of $105 in less than a day... that's more like 60% drop.

With the exception of third world nations like Zimbabwe, has any other currency ever lost so much value so quickly?

The even scarier thing is that they didn't bother shutting down the exchange during the panic selling, even when their trading systems were so overloaded that it was taking an hour to confirm a trade.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
I love how people are trying to downplay a 20-40% drop in a single day.

When it goes up 20-40% every day for a month it gets downplayed. But when it goes down 20-40% once, it's apparently a big deal.

okay.gif

Personally, I'm up about 3000% from my cost per coin (at current $150 value). Would I be happier if they were still at $266? Sure I would.

Am I going to turn down a huge pile of money just because it's a little smaller today? Nope, but apparently you would. I can't fathom why.

Heh... I remember a time when people thought that flipping houses and financing the improvements with couple of variable rate interest mortgages was a surefire way of making fast cash as well. Housing values only go up, right? ;)

Oh well... I guess that losing a few grand in Bitcoin is still better than losing a house.

You just don't get it. I'm already $5000 ahead in cash I have cashed out already. The bitcoin I still hold are just an extra bonus. I have zero risk in this, other than the opportunity risk of not making as much money as I could in the optimal situation.

The housing crisis was only a crisis because people don't own the houses they were trying to flip. I'm not suggesting anyone to go out and buy $500,000 in bitcoin on a mortgage, that would be stupid. But playing with some bitcoin either mined or bought on the cheap? Why not?

Last edited:

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
When it goes up 20-40% every day for a month it gets downplayed. But when it goes down 20-40% once, it's apparently a big deal.

okay.gif

Personally, I'm up about 3000% from my cost per coin (at current $150 value). Would I be happier if they were still at $266? Sure I would.

Am not going to turn down a huge pile of money just because it's a little smaller today? Nope, but apparently you would. I can't fathom why.

the big gains are the problem. let's for the sake of argument assume BTC is a viable currency, and it appreciates at some normal pace (not this crazy exponential ramp up before today). so if it goes up by some crazy amount over this trend, then it must come down soon after. excessive gains = excessive losses.

your last sentence makes no sense. unlike you I am not as certain of the future of BTC, so for me it would be a gamble to buy at this point. if I could buy some at $10 a coin, then sure I would have bought tons (as much as I could sell at the peak price anyway), just like I would have bought APPL at its low and sold at its high.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Thanks for the bold statements, Nostradamus. But please tell me one thing, which is really all that matters...will your boss make money in a month/year/5 years by buying it at the current price of $170 or shorting it?

I will go with shorting it, feel free to bring this up in 5 years. I've got no problems with that.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
the big gains are the problem. let's for the sake of argument assume BTC is a viable currency, and it appreciates at some normal pace (not this crazy exponential ramp up before today). so if it goes up by some crazy amount over this trend, then it must come down soon after. excessive gains = excessive losses.

If something has a current value of x, and it's actually worth 100000x, it's going to have to go through some crazy exponential growth if it is going to actually reach it's true value in real time.

Deny it all you want, yet you openly admit to taking part in this.

Yes, $10 bitcoin might seem cheap based on today's value, but it's the result of similar exponential increases- bitcoin was worthless at initial inception. After some time, it gained a little value- someone bought 2 pizzas for 10,000 BTC, a rather infamous transaction today. Eventually value reached a few pennies, and rode up to $1. At $1 everyone thought it was just a crazy insane bubble. It was the exact same story as what half the people in this thread claim- going from $.02 to $1 in a couple months was too insanely fast! A little later it did crash, but it crashed only to $.50, still keeping most of the gains from the original value of $.02

From $.50 value slowly start to rise again, back to $1, then to $2, $4, $7, $12, $20, and then up to $32 very quickly. Again everyone was screaming bubble, and it did indeed crash, although this was precipitated by a hacker stealing coins from mtgox. Yet just like the $1 bubble, again this "bubble" didn't crash back down to below it's starting point. Value fell to $20, then $15, then $10, and even as low as $4 for awhile before climbing back up, but it never reached $1, which is ultimately where this stretch began. Another "bubble", but bitcoin still shows a net increase in value.

After settling at a low $4 for a month or two bitcoin slowly climbed back up to $10, where it seemed to be stable for a long time, until the late part of 2012. IMO part of the trigger was the halving of the reward block, but for whatever reason value started to increase until it reached $20. It sat around $20 for a few days and then moved on to $30, to $40, and eventually $50. Unlike previous bitcoin "bubbles", this one had a few rocky days where value dropped 20% or so, but after each dip the value was restored fairly quickly. From $50 value has gone up all the way to $266.

Now you tell me. If the value started at $10, and is now $150 (it's actually $166), is that a bubble? Even if it crashed down to $50 or $30 it would still be a net increase for the year.

And yes, my point earlier that you take part in this: the $10 value you think is reasonable for buying bitcoin at is an insane 1000X increase of it's value just a mere 3 years ago. Why is a 1000 fold increase reasonable in that case but you automatically assume a 25X increase for the year so far is an insane bubble?

I can live with randomness when the net change is always positive in the long run.

Also: I don't think anyone asked you to go buy bitcoin at the current price. We have merely been defending bitcoin as something of value, rather than the worthless hyped bubble several posters seem to think it is.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
You honestly believe the BS figures of 2% inflation?

I have seen inflation in my own lifetime. A movie cost $2 when I was a kid, now 16 years later it's $8- increase to 400% of original value over 20 years doesn't work out to 2% inflation, sorry.

Can of soda was $.25, now it's $1.

Gas was $1 a gallon or less, now it's $4.

You ever look at real estate prices? Houses that were $100k 16 years ago are easily $400k or more today.

Pretty much across the board things that don't change have increased 4X in price the last 16 years. It works out to a little over 10% inflation per year. Trust the government figures if you are a sheep maybe, the math doesn't lie.

>Bitcoin will not increase in value by 1000% every year

I agree. The value increase will slow down when bitcoin has saturated the market. The thing is, right now less than a tenth of a percent of the population use bitcoin. In addition, even among the users there is only limited usage because the technology isn't fully mature. I'd pay for everything with bitcoin if I could, but the support structure just isn't there yet. It has a long way to go before it hits the point of saturation, IMO about a 1000X increase from current values.

First off, you blame stuff on "inflation" in the terms of monetary inflation but do not differentiate between that and other types of inflation. For example, movies are more costly to make because they have more FX, better sound, better cameras, better screens and sound systems, better theater seats. You have to factor all of that into the cost of a movie. Are those things inflation, or are they technological improvements that result in higher prices since the value of the good has increased?

One could say the same for cars. Should a Honda Accord from 15 years ago stay static? What about all of the stuff in a "base" accord now? You now have far more airbags which aren't cheap. You have a bigger car with better interior and exterior with alloy wheels and a 6-disc CD changer and a nice stereo system. All of those things add inputs into the price. Thus, picking ridiculously arbitrary things, like you do, means very little. Furthermore, it is even more ridiculous because you don't even differentiate between monetary inflation and non-monetary inflation, outside of the input costs.

Let's take gas. Is the increase in gas because of monetary inflation? Sure, some may be, but then you don't even consider increasing demand with flat supply. Furthermore, the flat supply is increasingly coming from more expensive sources, light sweet crude from one source that runs out and is replaced by heavier crude is not the same and is not monetary inflation. What about the raise in China's consumption that didn't exist before? What about added taxes, or the fact that ethanol costs more? What about fuel additives that are being added in to increase the longevity of the cars? What about refinery capacity which is being constrained by NIMBY.

How do you factor all of those into your very arbitrary and utterly ridiculous "analysis" which is really devoid of any research or analysis.

What about the existence of increasing amounts of war or Iraq's supply being reduced or Iran being under restrictions and threatening to shut down a vital shipping lane? Do you think that has nothing to do with the price of oil?

Even if we take your example of coke...

I remember Coke for $5 for a 24 pack in 1994. Target has it for $8 this week. That's 2.5% annually.

Now let's say that coke hasn't improved in the last 20 years, other than that nifty carcinogenic carmel coloring which I think contributed to my dad's terminal esophageal cancer (he worked for Coke for 35 years and drank a lot of it), but I digress...let's say it hasn't changed. However, the price of shipping coke HAS changed, the price of corn has changed and, thus, high fructose corn syrup.

Did the price of corn change because of monetary inflation or because the federal mandated increase in ethanol production which has led to huge amounts of increase in corn? This also leads to price increases in cheese and milk, neither of which are due to monetary inflation but to corn. But let's get back to coke....

So you have increases from HFCS being an input, this doubles down because of fuel costs from non-monetary increases, and finally the ever driving increases in profitability.

But then Coke has increased by 2.5%, so really, if we look at the rest of the factors, it probably increased lower than headline CPI.

What about real estate? Case Shiller pretty much shows that nationwide housing has increased by barely above inflation, that's real data and that's for the last 100 or so years. Do you have anything to refute that than arbitrary and anecdotal evidence? I highly doubt it. Why? Because your analysis is shit, like most people who tout Bitcoin and throw out foolish statements like 10-15% inflation.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Cyprus bank accounts were literally wiped out, yet you are harping about BTC falling 40%?

I'm pretty sure those from Cyprus would rather have BTC they bought at 30, went up to 260, and is back at 166 are probably happier than having a bank account seized, what about you?

They also suspended the investigation into those 11th hour withdrawals, so with any luck, those with the inside scoop could actually spend the money they "stole" from Cyprus banks and not go to jail. Hmm, wait whose the thief in this picture?

Except Cyprus doesn't have it's own independent currency. Because they're in a monetary union with the EU, they don't have control over the currency. It's almost like being on the gold standard, which, again, is another retarded thing libertarians love.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Except Cyprus doesn't have it's own independent currency. Because they're in a monetary union with the EU, they don't have control over the currency. It's almost like being on the gold standard, which, again, is another retarded thing libertarians love.

Yeah, the gold standard is *almost like* using a fiat currency controlled by someone other than yourself.

Kinda like how you use USD. You don't have control over the USD any more than the Cypriots had control over the Euro, they will continue to print and devalue USD as much as they want and nothing you do will change it.

I guess it is kinda like the gold standard, except nobody can print more gold at will. But hey, in your bizarre logic inflation is a good thing! Printing more money is a plus! Gold or bitcoin is a major fail in your mind, because they can't inflate.

/face palm

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Yeah, the gold standard is *almost like* using a fiat currency controlled by someone other than yourself.

Kinda like how you use USD. You don't have control over the USD any more than the Cypriots had control over the Euro, they will continue to print and devalue USD as much as they want and nothing you do will change it.

I guess it is kinda like the gold standard, except nobody can print more gold at will. But hey, in your bizarre logic inflation is a good thing! Printing more money is a plus! Gold or bitcoin is a major fail in your mind, because they can't inflate.

/face palm
You really, really don't get it do you?

The Euro is *like* the gold standard for any individual state because they don't control monetary policy. The money supply grows, but at an unknown rate that you do not control (just like Gold). The analogy shouldn't be carried too far, but this part makes sense.

As for bitcoin, well, it deliberately embraces most of the things that can be wrong with a currency, and is even more deflation-prone than gold.

I'm glad for you that it has worked out well in the short term.

The Atkins diet worked for a lot of people, too ;)

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011

The Euro is *like* the gold standard for any individual state because they don't control monetary policy. The money supply grows, but at an unknown rate that you do not control (just like Gold). The analogy shouldn't be carried too far, but this part makes sense.

As for bitcoin, well, it deliberately embraces most of the things that can be wrong with a currency, and is even more deflation-prone than gold.

The only real bad deflations are contractions in the money supply. Off the top of my head, gold and bitcoin contractions are only possible if they are lost. A lost password to a wallet containing a lot of bitcoins I believe technically counts as a contraction of the money supply, and putting a shitload of gold on a rocket to mars would also qualify. Aside from that, the only other way to contract the money supply is to first expand it through credit, ie. fractional reserve banking. This requires a sort centralized agency to uphold and keep from collapsing.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
The only real bad deflations are contractions in the money supply. Off the top of my head, gold and bitcoin contractions are only possible if they are lost. A lost password to a wallet containing a lot of bitcoins I believe technically counts as a contraction of the money supply, and putting a shitload of gold on a rocket to mars would also qualify. Aside from that, the only other way to contract the money supply is to first expand it through credit, ie. fractional reserve banking. This requires a sort centralized agency to uphold and keep from collapsing.
Bitcoin has a contraction in the money supply built in.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Bitcoin has a contraction in the money supply built in.

No it doesn't. In fact, on average 3600 new bitcoin are added to the system daily in miner rewards. You shouldn't speak about things which you don't know.

I get it, you don't. It doesn't matter what "state" controls which currency- in any case, it's not YOU and it's not ME. You are trusting someone else with your money, namely a government that has proven it can't even keep it's own spending under control. Does that really make any sense? Euro, USD, Zimbabwe Reserve Notes, it's all the same- they can print it at will, they can steal it out of your savings. It's not yours, you have zero control over it.

Bitcoin, you also have no control over, but the beauty of it is that nobody else does either.

>even more deflation-prone than gold.

You keep saying that like it's a bad thing. Oh no, my bitcoin gain more value over time than gold, this is horrible!

Last edited:

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I have seen inflation in my own lifetime. A movie cost $2 when I was a kid, now 16 years later it's $8- increase to 400% of original value over 20 years doesn't work out to 2% inflation, sorry.

Can of soda was $.25, now it's $1.

Gas was $1 a gallon or less, now it's $4.

You ever look at real estate prices? Houses that were $100k 16 years ago are easily $400k or more today.

Inflation is an index, and not only that you're comparing a "real" price (your baseline) value to a nominal price. Cherry picking the items that have increased substantially is not a true representation of anything; not to mention you're completely ignoring how the goods themselves and the markets they're part of have changed and evolved. Markets like oil and housing have experienced significant shifts in supply and demand over the last few decades due to sociopolitics, technology, and population growth; inflation is just about last on the list of reasons those goods' prices have shifted.

Compared to 1980, coal is cheaper. In 1984, the Motorola "brick" retailed for $3,995. Video games, for the most part, cheaper than 20 years ago.

Does this mean the USD is deflating? No, because again those examples have also experienced significant changes in the market far outside the influence of inflation; coal went out of style as a 'dirty' energy (though now it's back "in" judging by the uptrend over the last few years), technology to build phones has progressed phenomenally, and storage media and retail/delivery method has changed vastly for games. They're outlying data points and it means there's a good reason inflation is an aggregate value that's spread across dozens (hundreds? thousands?) of different goods from a huge spectrum of industries.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

/face palm

Your whole post is a facepalm. The Cyrpus government has NO control over their currency. The US government has FULL control over the USD.

The reason why countries like Greece are in a world of shit is because they don't have an independent currency. If they did, they (and Germany) could inflate/deflate their currencies to make it easier to pay back debts rather than having debts hang around their necks and having austerity destroy their economies. You are unqualified to talk about any of this stuff.

Bitcoin is inherently deflationary and thus you will have an incentive to hoard rather than use it like normal currency and you will always have this boom/bust cycle by speculators.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Your whole post is a facepalm. The Cyrpus government has NO control over their currency. The US government has FULL control over the USD.

You are not reading the words I am writing. Why is that you think the US government is trustworthy but the governments in control of the Euro are not? Is there some inherent difference?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100574317

Nope, no difference at all.

A version of the Cypriot haircut has already happened here, said Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., who sits on the Senate's banking committee.

"Congress' decision to steal from our entitlement trust funds is a Cyprus-like theft from programs like Social Security and Medicare," he said.

Taking money out of our accounts, it has ALREADY happened, yet you are claiming it's somehow different here because the US government is in control. LOL.

Bitcoin is inherently deflationary and thus you will have an incentive to hoard rather than use it like normal currency and you will always have this boom/bust cycle by speculators.

Oh no, we are going to have a 1000% increase in currency value ALWAYS? That is sounds terrible :(

You have others in this thread saying the growth is insane and unsustainable, and here you are claiming it's going to be a "problem" always forever.

Reality is, the growth is due to the currency increasing it's market-share, once saturation occurs the growth in value will slow. TBH I'm not really concerned with this "bust" that leaves us with a 30% increase in value for the week, and a 1500% increase in value for the year. Yawn, wake me up when I am actually losing money.

Last edited:

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005

One of these things is not like the other~

The not-for-profit research group measures inflation without looking at the big, one-time purchases that can skew the numbers. That means they don't look at the price of houses, furniture, appliances, cars, or computers.

So they weight more heavily on the 'small stuff', that's fine. However I don't think excluding those 'big ticket' items is a good idea; as the [presumably] smaller inflation values on something very expensive is probably going to have a greater net effect.

Lets say the price of lunch for a consumer doubled year over year. In 2010 their lunch cost $5, then in 2011 their lunch cost $10. Let's say that consumer bought lunch 200 days of the year.

So for year 2010: 5 dollars/day * 200 days = $1000 2010 dollars
And for 2011: 10 dollars/day * 200 days = $2000 2010 dollars

Over that same time period, lets say the price of a house increased only 5%. Census shows the median new house priced at about $220,000 in 2010 and our lunch patron decided to buy a house.

So in 2010 the house cost $220,000 2010 dollars
In 2011 (220,000)*(1.05) = $231,000 2010 dollars

The delta? $11,000 on a house at 5% vs $1000 on lunch at 100%. So the consumer would have to eat lunch 200 days a year for 11 years of 'small stuff' inflation (well, actually not that many years presuming lunch would continue to inflate) for that 100% inflation (which is a completely outlandish number, knock it down to something even slightly realistic and the gap will widen by many many times) to balance out 5% inflation on a big expenditure.

Last edited:

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Where are you buying a $220k house? Some place hit by the recession? You won't find them that cheap in the DC area, or NY, or any other area that is still doing well. Sure, you can get a cheap house in Detroit or Iowa, but you might not be able to get a job there. In places with functional economies house prices are up a lot more than 5%.

Anyway, I'm tired of debating this, it's off topic and largely irrelevant. Any inflation at all is bad IMO, you are just arguing about the amount. And inflation is only a small part of it when the government can simply take money right out of your accounts.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Karl isn't always right, but here's his brief take on Bitcoins:

http://www.market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=219665

And it summarizes briefly his longer take:

http://www.market-ticker.org/akcs-www?singlepost=3171400

I think he does a good job of debunking Bitcoin as a currency and points out what many of us have said, which is that it's just a pyramid scheme. He even refers to tulip mania, which I alluded to yesterday.

Bitcon is definitely my new term for this little fad.
It behaves more like a penny stock to a dying company than a currency if it swings that much that often.

--

To answer a question above, no I do not generally gamble, though the stock market does have some aspects of gambling and I do own some mutual and index funds, so in this sense I do gamble. The stock market's gains/losses are a combination of mathematically provable value/conventional investing (e.g. if a company pays out dividends you can put a true, even if not permanent, value to the stock based on that), and speculation. Bitcon is 100% pure speculation.
If the value started at $10, and is now $150 (it's actually $166), is that a bubble?
Yes, all of Bitcon is.
The only real bad deflations are contractions in the money supply. Off the top of my head, gold and bitcoin contractions are only possible if they are lost.
An increase in demand has a functional impact on supply. A man has a pie, he invites nine friends over, they split the pie into 1/10ths. There's no less pie than before, but it sure feels that way.
You keep saying that like it's a bad thing. Oh no, my bitcoin gain more value over time than gold, this is horrible!
And you keep acting like it's not a bad thing. I've already linked to what a deflationary spiral is. There's a reason why every economist on the planet thinks they are bad.
Oh no, we are going to have a 1000% increase in currency value ALWAYS? That is sounds terrible
No, once people like you stop pump/dumping it, it will collapse because even the die hards will realize it's worthless.
You have others in this thread saying the growth is insane and unsustainable, and here you are claiming it's going to be a "problem" always forever.
It WOULD be, if it were a real currency and had any chance of gaining acceptance.
Yawn, wake me up when I am actually losing money.
Don't go too far away, it won't be long.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
.Don't go too far away, it won't be long.

You don't get it. Bitcoin could go to 0 and I have lost nothing. You being wrong for long enough for me to make a big pile of money means I can play with the half of the pile I still have in the market without any risk of ever losing money.

Anyway, I'm tired of your silly arguments. Reality is more important than theory. You can theorize and complain about bitcoin all you want, fact is it's already made me a ton of money just from mining with video cards and even if it went to zero over night I would still end up on the plus side. The real money I have made and have in my bank is far more important to me than any silly argument or theory you have :)

I'll check in with you in 5 years when bitcoins are $5000 each and see if you have changed your mind :)

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Where are you buying a $220k house? Some place hit by the recession? You won't find them that cheap in the DC area, or NY, or any other area that is still doing well. Sure, you can get a cheap house in Detroit or Iowa, but you might not be able to get a job there. In places with functional economies house prices are up a lot more than 5%.

Anyway, I'm tired of debating this, it's off topic and largely irrelevant. Any inflation at all is bad IMO, you are just arguing about the amount. And inflation is only a small part of it when the government can simply take money right out of your accounts.

Texas is kicking butt in the big picture, and $220k will get you a really nice house up here.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/Allen-T...29-Hillcrest-Dr-Allen-TX-75002/26664861_zpid/

That's like 10 minutes from EDS, Dell, etc. Lots of big corps up here paying big $ for programmers, lawyers, etc.