Bit worried about my senile boss joining my team.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
My boss and I work for a huge company. Let's call him Chris. He's 63 years old guy who longer gives a fack. The company is so large that there are definitely some lazy loafers. He's one of them.

In the last 3 years, the enterprise has undergone a gigantic top-down Agile transformation from Waterfall. Crap has changed so much. Chris and I are pretty close and he admits to me that he doesn't have much work to do. Since Chris' boss is in another coast, Chis comes into office like twice a week and often leaves at 1-2pm. He charges hours split across multiple projects of his reports, so no one really questions it. He has ignored all learning of using new Agile platforms and methodologies.

So he's been coasting like this for about 2 years.

My own team runs like a clockwork. We have prod owner, business, whole team, and myself communicate very well and have built a solid relationship. We have a very detailed out cadence that works well for the team which is the fruit of 18 months of fine tuning.

Yesterday he tells me that he's going to replace the prod owner. Oh man. He knows little about the product. And frankly, he's going senile I think. He can't even remember the two products that I've been telling him over and over on a weekly basis.

Well, this is gonna be fun. I can already picture the business groaning because he's not quick on the calls. I'm going to help him with everything he needs, but I have a feeling I'll end up doing all the work.

Last edited:

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
He's winding down. That's what happens when the runway comes into view and you know your on your final approach.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
At that age I would have a pretty low GAF index as well tbh. Company transformations are the worse, it seems companies can't stay put and always want to change stuff, he's probably seen it all in his many years there and just sick of that shit and hoping for a retirement package or something. :p