[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Was outside with my cat having some supervised outdoor time, came across a pile of chicks from a nest that was apparently poorly placed on our roofline. Got 3 that I could find in a box (one didn't make it unfortunately) some some rags, placed on a planter box to keep them away from barn cats we have in the area. Took mama a minute to figure out they were still hers. Aside from one jumping out and having to be replaced, no further issues. Went out this morning, found two more in a bush, added them to the pile. Probably the most confused bird in the area at the moment. Common Starlings btw, but well worth taking care of. Anyone know how long until they're flying? One kept trying to do the 'flap to the ground' bit to escape me.
1652549593408.png
1652549623982.png

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
If the mom/pop aren't too spooked to feed them regularly, I'd expect they'll find their way free of the box-nest in about a week, but they won't exactly be flying at this point, more like hoping around and hiding in between practicing flying and following mom to learn how to worm.

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
If the mom/pop aren't too spooked to feed them regularly, I'd expect they'll find their way free of the box-nest in about a week, but they won't exactly be flying at this point, more like hoping around and hiding in between practicing flying and following mom to learn how to worm.
Just one very active parent atm (I assume mom). Week is kinda what I was guessing too. They aren't at the 'I'm gonna bounce around outside the nest like mom' just yet.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Careful, your racism is showing.
I use the word ghetto all the time, realizing that there are more white than other races living in them in the US. It doesn't matter how the word originated a long time ago, more than the popular US use today which is to describe a run down impoverished area no matter who lives there (race neutral).

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11 and dank69

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I use the word ghetto all the time, realizing that there are more white than other races living in them in the US. It doesn't matter how the word originated a long time ago, more than the popular US use today which is to describe a run down impoverished area no matter who lives there (race neutral).
Yeah, but in this case, there's a presumption of a racial origin of the word, and he tethered that to those impoverished regions, like so many old as fuck conservatives seemingly love to do.

• Haha
Reactions: stargazr

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ Why a presumption of origin? People devoid of a proper education often talk funny, and is the cause of their poverty. I still don't see it.

Not once in my life have I ever heard someone use the word in reference to the Venetian Ghetto in Venice, Italy. It has a different meaning in the modern world, US English, pretty near 100% of the time.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Are they starlings? The momma seems to have those white spots but I can't remember if they get those in just the summer or winter. At this point if they haven't molted I'd guess summer.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Are they starlings? The momma seems to have those white spots but I can't remember if they get those in just the summer or winter. At this point if they haven't molted I'd guess summer.
It's still very early spring here, trees still leafing, etc. Common starling was the only thing I could find local up here that looked like the adult, so I'm pretty confident on that one.

• Love
Reactions: Charmonium

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
It's still very early spring here, trees still leafing, etc. Common starling was the only thing I could find local up here that looked like the adult, so I'm pretty confident on that one.
More like late Spring in NJ. I'm going to watch carefully now. The forsythia has bloomed and the wisteria is starting.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Yeah, those are starlings. They are everywhere here. They nest all summer long here. Noisy critters they are.