BIOSTAR TForce6100-939 has NIC problems.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Well, the Tforce6100-939 have shown up in quantities on Newegg refurb for $43. Wonder if they have been fixed or still have flakey network. Bought two to go with my two Opteron 144 from Monarch ($130 each)... if only thing that doesn't work is network, I've got a few PCI cards collecting dust since all new boards have NICs.

Now I have to go buy two more of those AMD retail box quad heatpipe HSFs from eBay for $17 each...

buzzly

Dec 28, 2005
I got a refurb ver 1.0 Tforce-939 from newegg. The NIC worked fine even at 300fsb. I just got another refurb. This time is a ver 1.1. The NIC also worked fine. I read it somewhere that the NIC problem was caused by combination of certain version of Bios and Nvidia dirver. Biostar ended up reflashing the bios after they got the RMAs.

Also I understand the Newegg had pulled the Tforce-939 off the market for a few days but has since returned back to market. I would assume that Newegg would not do that if the NIC problem has not been addressed.

BTW, both mobos were bare board. It usually indicated that these were factory refurb. The "refurb" with all or some accessaries in it tend to be returns.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
I had gotten a refurb socket 754 Tforce that didn't come with accessories. If the two I just ordered also has no accessories, then time to go buy some aluminum flashing.

Conroe

Mar 12, 2006
I bought a refurb 1.1 from the egg. Works great. Had the box and manuals, nothing else so I used drivers from nVidia, and sound driver from my DualSATA2's CD and force fed from a list in device manager. Some reason I don't see Realtek drivers at Biostar.com. I'm not sure about the BIOS. I never flashed it.
edit
I cheaked out my internet speeds, 4653 kbits/sec down/ 588 up. My BIOS is from october '05. I see two newer ones now. I need to hook up a floppy.

ddeder

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2001
I just got off the phone with James at Biostar. He confirmed that Biostar received a "bad batch" of chips from a supplier and that these were the cause of the problem. SO THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT A DRIVER OR BIOS PROBLEM. He told me that the defective boards have been recalled and that Newegg boards should be problem free now. I just ordered 2 more of these boards today. Assuming I get them by Thursday, I will have them tested by Friday afternoon and will post my findings.

Anyone else who has ordered this board from Newegg within the last 2 weeks - What version of the board did you get (1.0 or 1.1) and does the onboard network adapter work properly?

shimp

Feb 14, 2006
Originally posted by: ddeder
I just got off the phone with James at Biostar. He confirmed that Biostar received a "bad batch" of chips from a supplier and that these were the cause of the problem. SO THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT A DRIVER OR BIOS PROBLEM. He told me that the defective boards have been recalled and that Newegg boards should be problem free now. I just ordered 2 more of these boards today. Assuming I get them by Thursday, I will have them tested by Friday afternoon and will post my findings.

Anyone else who has ordered this board from Newegg within the last 2 weeks - What version of the board did you get (1.0 or 1.1) and does the onboard network adapter work properly?

ddeeder
thank you for the info.
im still thinking to order this board, will anxiously await your findings on your recent order.

ddeder

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2001
The two new boards came yesterday. Both are version 1.1. I have only had time to build and test one PC today. Everything, including the onboard NIC works fine. It looks like this problem has been solved.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
That's good to hear. Now to test my two refurb Tforce6100-939 boards that I got in yesterday... as with the socket 754 version, just the retail box with the motherboard and manuals - no discs, accessories, cables or ATX plate.

Hopefully the refurbs have working NICs otherwise... where's my PCI NICs...

shimp

Feb 14, 2006
Originally posted by: ddeder
The two new boards came yesterday. Both are version 1.1. I have only had time to build and test one PC today. Everything, including the onboard NIC works fine. It looks like this problem has been solved.

ddeder n zap
thanks to both of you for the info, good to hear the nic works!!
i think ill order this mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138264

and this cpu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103603

What memory would u suggest(no overclock), up to 1gb?

thanks

shimp

Feb 14, 2006
Originally posted by: furballi
Corsair Value Select. Personally, I'd get the retail Opteron 146 for $194. Set the FSB to 215MHz. Guarantee stability.

http://www.tankguys.biz/

furballi
thanks for suggestion.
why the opteron?
as i'm a noob, how difficult to perform the 'set fsb to 215MHz?

thanks

furballi

Banned
Apr 6, 2005
Not much more expensive when compared to the A64. Plus it should give you at least another 100MHz of overclock headroom. Go into BIOS and bump the bus speed from 200MHz to 215MHz. Save and exit.

furballi

Banned
Apr 6, 2005
Okay if you need OBV. I'd go with Corsair VS. All my sticks purchased over the last 3 months are stable up to at least 236MHz (DDR400 setting).

Try Tankguys for cheaper 146s. Monarch's price may be a little cheaper, but I would never purchase from those crooks, even if it is sold at 1/2 price.

shimp

Feb 14, 2006
Originally posted by: furballi
Okay if you need OBV. I'd go with Corsair VS. All my sticks purchased over the last 3 months are stable up to at least 236MHz (DDR400 setting).

Try Tankguys for cheaper 146s. Monarch's price may be a little cheaper, but I would never purchase from those crooks, even if it is sold at 1/2 price.

Thanks for the advice,furballi.
grabbed a 146 opty from tankguys, cheapest price on the net...

Staypuft

May 18, 2006
Sorry to resurrect...but

Bought 4 of these refurbs since March.

1 - Ver1.0 NO PROBLEMS, no parts in box except manual
2 - Ver1.1 NO PROBLEMS, no parts in box except manual
3 - Ver1.1 BAD NIC, all parts in box
4 - Ver1.1 NO PROBLEMS, no parts in box except manual

The board with the bad nic had obviously been returned to newegg with NO BIOSTAR REFURB performed. The rest were perfect.

NEWEGG does this as common practice, as I have received numerous refurb items DOA.