Bioshock Infinite DLC details announced!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The first DLC is an arena, color me not impressed. That should have come out in the first weeks after release.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
^ Exactly! It took them months to bring this out, when it should have been released either at launch or shortly afterwards.

And now the second and third DLC doesn't even feature Columbia as it's main setting...

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Edit: Nevermind. I was wondering how purchasing the season pass saved me any money if the DLCs were 5 buck apiece, but I see at the bottom of the article that the Burial at Sea episodes will be $15 apiece.

Last edited:

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I'm starting to regret buying the Season Pass...
I don't play online, but i'm sure some do, but dammit disappointed much!!??!?

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I never understood why people bought the season pass for this game when we knew absolutely nothing about any of the DLC. They didn't even give hints what the DLC would be.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
WTF is this? Really? I thought at first it was at least MP maps, but it's not even that..why did it take them this long to release this of all things?

Pretty sure by the time a legit expansion comes out I won't have any interest. This is whats wrong with the state of DLC.

There's DLC (add-ons) , and there are expansions. An expansion generally is much more than just a few hours worth of material and justifies the price. These days, it's all DLC. On a game such as this, you need an expansion to make it worth the effort of actually keeping the game around. Small little this that or the other isn't going to keep peoples interest.

Ok, so I see there is are episodes coming out, so that's cool, but I didn't see a date.

Last edited:

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I never understood why people bought the season pass for this game when we knew absolutely nothing about any of the DLC. They didn't even give hints what the DLC would be.

I had a good deal for this one. First Season Pass I buy and probably the last.
I'll use that as a warning lol

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Well, can't say I'm impressed by the horde map. Not sure how I feel about going back to Rapture either.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
WTF is this? Really? I thought at first it was at least MP maps, but it's not even that..why did it take them this long to release this of all things?

If I had to guess, I bet this horde mode wasn't even originally in the plan. They probably realized that they needed something to give to the fans, and that their first story DLC was too far off. So, make a horde mode that accentuates the wonderful combat in Bioshock Infinite, and yay! :p

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008

I imagine people buy the season pass because they were such big fans of the vanilla game, they trust that whatever else the developer makes will be good too.

I think what Aikouka said is right. They're tiding us over until they release the actual story DLC later. If it makes you feel any better, here's the trailer for the DLC coming next: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpgvZay10jE

To answer your other question, the reason why it's taking so long is because Irrational Games are perfectionists.

CrystalBay

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2002
Yeah , I also think they had to throw some content out to the hordes:p The 5GB. download for an arena combat surprises me though.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Yeah , I also think they had to throw some content out to the hordes:p The 5GB. download for an arena combat surprises me though.

I was just about to post that. I'm downloading it right now, and I was shocked it was 5GB! :eek: But then again, Bioshock Infinite is very texture heavy.

I'm still disappointed that none of the story DLC will feature Columbia, but I think Burial At Sea will definitely be worth playing.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I had a good deal for this one. First Season Pass I buy and probably the last.
I'll use that as a warning lol

The only season pass I purchased before even being told what was in it was Borderlands 2 season pass. They did such an outstanding job on the first Borderlands season pass that I knew I wanted it lol.

I imagine people buy the season pass because they were such big fans of the vanilla game, they trust that whatever else the developer makes will be good too.

I'd agree normally. Heck my example above I jumped in with Borderlands 2 season pass, but I always had a fair idea of what to expect from the first Borderlands. Most season passes are jokes though and we've seen very very few devs/pub do them well, most can't even do half way decent DLC still :(

I enjoyed BSI a lot, but it was also one of those games when I saw the season pass that I was definitely waiting and seeing on.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
There are so many cool things they could do with the DLC, however I doubt they will. Due to the way the game is made (and the world is split up) it would require quite a bit of reworking of the design to do the things I would like to see.

This is one of those instances where it is a shame it's on consoles. It is truly what is probably holding it back.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Just read about the DLC... lol that's a bummer

I'm also laughing at all the "I can't believe we have to wait longer for story DLC" responses. The common complaint about DLC is that it's released too quickly and seems like it's just stuff they already made and just didn't include. Now they actually are taking a while to get all the DLC out the door and people still bitch.

Gamers are so harsh... they should cancel all their DLC and teach you a lesson!

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
It took me around that time too, I was mainly joking. Just seems odd to quit when he had to have been pretty much done.

I agree, it is odd that he quit when it at least sounded like he should of been around the end of the game.

scooterlibby

Feb 28, 2009
I'm not really irritated by the arena DLC. I bought the $20 all encompassing package and if gives me 20 minutes of entertainment I'll consider it a win. I'm much more looking forward to the new campaigns.

Edit: I meant if the arena DLC gives me 20 minutes of enjoyment I'll consider it a success. I expect the other 2 DLCs to give me many more minutes of enjoyment.

Last edited:

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Last night I played Clash in the Clouds for a little bit. Overall, I thought it was pretty fun, and I definitely plan on playing it some more. The arenas (at least the one I played) are well-designed. You can use the money you've accrued to upgrade your equipment between waves. "Blue Ribbon Challenges" make you switch up your playstyle to earn extra cash. Each wave is considerably more challenging than the last, and once you get to like Wave 5, it gets really hard (then again I'm not that great).

I've never understood the hate for Bioshock's combat. I think it's good. It's probably not the best FPS combat I've ever seen, but it's certainly not bad; still above average IMO. The weapons, while not really varied, feel meaty and satisfying to use. Executing a combination of guns, vigors, and skyline attacks is really fluid, fast, and fun. I had a ball with some of the big fight scenes.

I can think of plenty of FPS games with crappy combat. Bioshock Infinite isn't one of them.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I can think of plenty of FPS games with crappy combat. Bioshock Infinite isn't one of them.

I concur. I think the combat is pretty satisfying (in a Borderlands kind of way).

The rail sliding just adds to the fun. I think for the measly $5 I spent on this DLC, I don't have anything to complain about. I've already gotten more entertainment out of it than I would buying a movie ticket.....at about half the price.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've never understood the hate for Bioshock's combat. I think it's good. It's probably not the best FPS combat I've ever seen, but it's certainly not bad; still above average IMO. The weapons, while not really varied, feel meaty and satisfying to use. Executing a combination of guns, vigors, and skyline attacks is really fluid, fast, and fun. I had a ball with some of the big fight scenes.

Being stuck with two weapons with way too small of an ammo capacity is what I hated the most. You end up spending most of your money upgrading the weapons that work the best (for you), but in some of the large-scale fights, you always run out of ammo. :|