Bioshock 2 Themes

Fineghal

Apr 6, 2006
This is probably an odd question, but I was discussing Bioshock 2 with a Clinical Psych. the other day, and she pointed out that the Little Sister/Adam mechanic could very easily be seen as a metaphor for abuse or pedophilia. You, the father figure, are "harvesting" them.

This had never occurred to me oddly enough.

Has anyone run across a literary or philosophical analysis of the game? Something beyond the blatant "Objectivism" and "Communism" of course. I've read No Gods or Kings but haven't seen anything on Bioshock 2.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Since I saved all of them instead of harvesting them, does that mean I'm not a Pedo Bear then?

Fineghal

Apr 6, 2006
Ha! Wasn't expecting a reference to that on AT! But the cutscene where she tells you about
experiencing everything you did was absolutely horrifying if you harvested.
For my part, I was really sucked in to the "paternal" element with her constantly calling you Father. Which is why it was so powerful for me.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
Guess no one wants to admit to being the soul sucking leach that killed them. Personally I haven't played yet (finishing ME1), but I am going to eat their souls.

totalnoob

Golden Member
Jul 17, 2009
2dvoriw.png

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
This is probably an odd question, but I was discussing
Has anyone run across a literary or philosophical analysis of the game? Something beyond the blatant "Objectivism" and "Communism" of course.

I wouldn't say that Bioshock or its sequel advocate communism. More like objectivism (Ayn Rand).

Adam8281

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
I wouldn't say that Bioshock or its sequel advocate communism. More like objectivism (Ayn Rand).

I don't think he meant the game advocates communism - rather that it "concerns" communism in that objectivism is essentially a critique and antithesis of communism.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
I harvested them in the first game when I played it on the PC, but saved them in the second because of trophies :p