BIOS updates: any reason to do so if version release notes don't seem to benefit me?

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
If everything is stable and fine, is there any reason at all to flash the BIOS if the release notes indicate nothing of interest to you? I wasn't sure if any hidden or underlying performance increases are sometimes present in the update but not necessarily mentioned in the notes.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
There could be, many companies only list major issues addressed, or specific ones actually reported to them by customers and targeted for solution. But there could be (and often are) other changes not included in the release notes.

Intel is an example of a company that produces fairly extensive release notes detailing all or most changes. Its not unusual for an Intel release/change note to list upwards of two dozen individual changes. Most others only bother to mention the major reasons.

jjmIII

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
You don't have to, but if not you'll need to hand in your geek badge :).

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
1. new CPU compatibility is added, this is important if you later want to upgrade / sell it... if your CPU breaks and you are forced to upgrade you might be stuck with lack of compatibility.
2. I find most BIOS upgrades have atrocious documentation, with bugs being fixed but NOT being mentioned (heck, a lot of times there is a bios upgrade with literally nothing listed as changed).

However, that doesn't mean you should always use the latest bios. I have found cases where newer bioses had severe bugs introduced to them and a downgrade was required... (ex: The Dell Dimension 4550 BIOS 6 was the last one to properly work with firewire... 7 and 8 both would have firewire not work, either the built in port or via an expansion card it would just not work... I "fixed" about 5 of those over the years by downgrading them to v6 bios...)

if you have the time, knowledge, and skill its probably a good idea to update it and only downgrade in case there are problems... if you don't then leave it be unless you have a particular problem it solves.

pitz

Feb 11, 2010
I like doing it because its just one extra variable that I don't need to consider. Getting a new CPU or part is exciting enough, but what if you didn't, for some reason or another, have your BIOS up to date enough, to make that part work? Re-install old CPU, flash, then install the new one, etc., etc.

Also, if you do encounter an issue, first thing tech support is going to ask you is what firmware you're running. If its not the latest, then they're likely to ask you to update if you ever have a firmware related issue. Better to keep things up to date, than to hit a bug and then face the daunting task of experimenting with updates.

Plus updates tend to be incremental, as opposed to being revolutionary. Its easier to bring in small chances to a system, test them out, and make sure things are stable, as opposed to needing to update a firmware from a very old revision, and find that a ton of stuff has been changed.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I never update a BIOS that isn't forcing me to update it (i.e. CPU wont work, etc.).

Never.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I agree. If everything in your computer is working the way it should and the way you expect it to, leave it be. If you do try to flash it, be sure you have the Current Working BIOS file somewhere. You may need it again. And on some pcs / mobos, if the BIOS update should fail, you may need to replace the BIOS chip. Some are socketed (easy), some soldered (hard / impossible for avg user)

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
Thanks guys - most excellent insight.

Don't think I will touch the BIOS for now.

AlucardX

May 20, 2000
BIOS is the one thing i don't update unless i have to. i'm using an IP35 that still does the dual boot issue from cold boot start up, but i don't feel like updating because i got a good overclock and don't want to break it

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
I habitually update the BIOS or firmware on any device for which I know there is a non-beta update. I've only bricked something a few times, but then I know what I'm doing. :cool: