Bios update appears to work but Abit IP35 Pro

Gerardjg

Apr 25, 2003
I am trying to update the Bios on an older Abit IP 35 pro. I have the latest official Abit Bios v17 and awdflash from the Abit FTP site, I also have several other bios versions for the board. When I run award flash in DOS everything appears to work as it should the write was successful next the screen goes blank and nothing happens. Power and reset buttons do not work, The diagnostic screen reads C1, I turn off the power supply and reboot and everything works fine but I still have Bios V6. I have tried the update many times with the same results.

Gerardjg

Apr 25, 2003
Thanks I will try the optimized. settings tonight. I have tried to clear the CMOS also I
Removed the battery for awhile before a flash attempt.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Does the board have a BIOS lock or protect jumper? You might have to move the jumper to a BIOS flash mode. I had the board and I remember something peculiar about it. I might be remembering wrong, though.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Pretty sure that motherboard did not have BIOS lock. I had that mobo, it was an excellent motherboard at the time, diagnostic LED, power/reset buttons directly on board, and bios reset switch on the back panel in case you pushed the board too far and it wouldn't boot - no more having to open the case to move the BIOS reset jumper - just flip the reset switch on the back. Perhaps you're thinking of that reset switch on the back panel?

Gerardjg

Apr 25, 2003
I have tried all of the great suggestions but still have no bios update, I even tried using Abit uguru in windows which also showed as a successful write to v17 rebooted and i still have V6. I just ordered a new Bios Chip will update again when that arrives.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
I have tried all of the great suggestions but still have no bios update, I even tried using Abit uguru in windows which also showed as a successful write to v17 rebooted and i still have V6. I just ordered a new Bios Chip will update again when that arrives.
Use Windows system information (msinfo32.exe) to check the BIOS version and date. Sounds like you may be seeing "AwardBIOS V6" during POST, which is not the customized ROM version specific to the motherboard but rather the BIOS vendor's software used to produce it. e.g.

Here is an example/representative POST screen. The line in red indicates the AwardBIOS version used. The green circles are where you want to confirm your mobo BIOS ROM version:

award.jpg

Last edited:

Gerardjg

Apr 25, 2003
Thank you TCSENTER, I am a little embarrassed you were right but CPU Z which I was using to determine the BIOS version and msinfo32 both show what it says on the top line of the starting bios screen V6.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Thank you TCSENTER, I am a little embarrassed you were right but CPU Z which I was using to determine the BIOS version and msinfo32 both show what it says on the top line of the starting bios screen V6.
Yep many of these older boards did not have the OEM BIOS string (sign-on) and ROM versioning in the right place when read or queried by software, causing this confusion.