Bios freezes when trying to save and exit

NightDreamer

Jun 30, 2013
I have a MSI Z87 G45 Gaming. I installed it with a new cpu about a week ago. I also updated the bios from v1 to v1.3.

Anytime I go in bios and do something, then hit settings and save and exit, the bios freezes, can't do anything except hit reset on the tower.

Even if I don't change anything in the bios, it freezes upon save and exit.

What the heck? At this point the bios is completely un-usable.

There are no other issues, temps are good, I can play games for hours, never had a freeze or lockup or blue screen. Passed a burn in test.

Last edited:

Kougar

Apr 25, 2002
Did you run memtest yet? Checked your event logs for any WHEA Logger errors? Just because the system survives a burn-in doesn't make it fully stable. CPU or RAM instability can cause a BIOS to lock.

After you flashed the BIOS did you load failsafe defaults and save it to wipe out previous settings?

BigChickenJim

Jul 1, 2013
I have a similar issue on my MSI board (970A-G46). It freezes maybe one out of every ten times I save and exit BIOS, forcing a hard reset. It first started after performing a very mild OC on my FX-6300. Oddly enough, the settings appear to save and apply just fine and I've yet to notice any ill effects. After a bunch of diagnostics (the 4.0 GHz OC is rock solid at default voltage as far as I can tell) I chalked it up to bad board software (it's not the best board out there by any stretch).

Are your changes saving and applying correctly?

Last edited:

NightDreamer

Jun 30, 2013
Jim, it seems as if you didn't read my question. "Are yor changes saving and appying correctly"?. No, I am unable to save changes, it freezes upon exit, whether I change anything or not.

My ram is from my previous system, yes I've tested the ram it's fine.

Faulty cpu is about 1 in 100,000 according to Intel. So that's out.

Oh and yes, surviving the burn in test DOES mean it's stable, that's the whole point of the burn in test. lol

If the cpu and ram were unstable, I would not be able to complete a burn in test and play countless hours of BF3.

This is a bios issue.

BigChickenJim

Jul 1, 2013
Jim, it seems as if you didn't read my question. "Are yor changes saving and appying correctly"?. No, I am unable to save changes, it freezes upon exit, whether I change anything or not.

My ram is from my previous system, yes I've tested the ram it's fine.

Faulty cpu is about 1 in 100,000 according to Intel. So that's out.

Oh and yes, surviving the burn in test DOES mean it's stable, that's the whole point of the burn in test. lol

If the cpu and ram were unstable, I would not be able to complete a burn in test and play countless hours of BF3.

This is a bios issue.

Nothing in your OP mentioned whether your settings were being applied despite the freezes. Mine are applied even when BIOS locks and I hard reset. I was just trying to establish how severe your issue is since my similar issue causes no actual problems and seems to be safe to ignore.

Have you tried returning everything to stock? Reseting the CMOS? Reseating everything?

Last edited:

NightDreamer

Jun 30, 2013
No NOTHING saves, IT FREEZES.

EVERYTHING is stock, since I can't make any changes.....

There were no previous settings, this was a new motherboard and cpu.

Why would I reseat everything? It passes burn in testing and I've played over 40hrs of BF3 since I installed it.

This is obviously a bios problem.

Last edited:

BigChickenJim

Jul 1, 2013
No NOTHING saves, IT FREEZES.

EVERYTHING is stock, since I can't make any changes.....

There were no previous settings, this was a new motherboard and cpu.

Why would I reseat everything? It passes burn in testing and I've played over 40hrs of BF3 since I installed it.

This is obviously a bios problem.

The facts that BF3 runs fine and you don't crash out of burn tests don't necessarily rule out hardware issues, but since you seem convinced that you don't need to follow basic troubleshooting protocol you have four options:

1. Clear your CMOS and start over. This will return everything to factory default and *should* help you determine whether the issue is endemic to the board or not.

2. Try to roll back your BIOS version (note: many MSI BIOS updates do not allow reflash to earlier versions.)

3. Live with the problem and avoid BIOS. You've said yourself that everything works fine. If the computer boots, you aren't overclocking, and you are happy with your rig there's really no reason to be in the BIOS except to verify temps. In that case a freeze shouldn't matter anyway.

4. RMA the board.

That's all I've got for you, though I personally would reseat and carefully test each component (focusing heavily on memory modules) while trying BIOS between each individual reseat to be triple sure I was looking only at a software issue and not busted hardware. Your computer, your call. Good luck.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Here's a question I didn't see asked: Can you save without exiting, or can you exit without saving?

NightDreamer

Jun 30, 2013
Here's a question I didn't see asked: Can you save without exiting, or can you exit without saving?

Can you save without exiting? Well then you would still be in the bios right? lol

No I cannot exit without saving, it doesn't work like that.

NightDreamer

Jun 30, 2013
MSI said to re-flash the bios and then clear the cmos. Same problem. This is why I don't buy crappy MSI motherboards. First one I've had since about 10yrs ago. Never again.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Can you save without exiting? Well then you would still be in the bios right? lol

No I cannot exit without saving, it doesn't work like that.

I was trying to work out if it's freezing only on the exit part. If you can SAVE the settings first and it doesn't freeze, you're one step ahead, right?

As for exiting without saving, don't change anything, and just exit. Does it still freeze?

In any case, it shouldn't be doing this. File for an RMA if it's still under warranty, or sell it to somebody who doesn't care and won't use the BIOS.

NightDreamer

Jun 30, 2013
Let me explain better to you. You can't get out of the bios without clicking "settings", then "save and exit". When I click save and exit it freezes.

I HAVE NOT CHANGED ANYTHING IN THE BIOS. And even if I did I've flashed the bios and cleared the cmos, so it wouldn't remain anyways.

BigChickenJim

Jul 1, 2013
Ok, so you worked out that CMOS resets and BIOS rollback don't work. You don't believe reseating will help. As the other gentleman said, that leaves you with two options: RMA the board and stick with MSI (ditching a company because of one lemon is illogical, but to each his own) or sell the board to someone who either has no idea what BIOS is or doesn't care to use it. If you choose the second option, BE HONEST and don't gouge them for a flawed product.

My proposed third option is to simply ignore the problem if you aren't OCing and stay out of BIOS. That's the one I'd choose in your situation, but I also don't like spending time or energy trying to solve small problems that aren't affecting my rig's performance or reliability.

Out of curiosity, what are you trying to do in the BIOS? I ask because I believe there are third-party programs that allow you to fiddle with the BIOS from within Windows, which would negate your problem and possibly still leave you a lot of tweaking options.

Last edited:

john3850

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2002
On most newer bios you can discard changes and exit
You can go in and out of the bios without saving at any time on most boards.

NightDreamer

Jun 30, 2013
I have no desire to overclock now, maybe in the future when I'm running a real fast video card and I need more speed. Besides I only have a stock hsf right now, and it already run's hot.

I also wanted to set my memory settings correct, because my s1155 board defaulted them to the wrong speed. They default correctly on this board, but either way, If I can't use the bios I'm not happy with the board at all. This is a gaming and overclocking motherboard, with a useless bios. I wonder if maybe the next update will fix it? I don't know.

I like Gigabyte and more recently a big Asrock fan, never had a single problem with any of their boards. Soon as I get a MSI, I have bios problems. I'm seriously considering rma'ing the board back to Newegg for a replacement, and I'll just leave the bios as it is, I won't flash it this time.

Last edited:

NightDreamer

Jun 30, 2013
On most newer bios you can discard changes and exit
You can go in and out of the bios without saving at any time on most boards.

Right, but you have to click "settings", then click "save and exit" before you can even get to the save or discard screen, but it freezes on that screen so you can't make any choices such as "save" or "discard", the mouse is frozen.

NightDreamer

Jun 30, 2013
Only thing I can do with Newegg is return for replacement. Which would take at least 2 weeks to California and back. I cannot be without my computer for even 1 day, because I work from home.

This is so frustrating and why I only buy brands I trust.

BigChickenJim

Jul 1, 2013
I have no desire to overclock now, maybe in the future when I'm running a real fast video card and I need more speed. Besides I only have a stock hsf right now, and it already run's hot.

I also wanted to set my memory settings correct, because my s1155 board defaulted them to the wrong speed. They default correctly on this board, but either way, If I can't use the bios I'm not happy with the board at all. This is a gaming and overclocking motherboard, with a useless bios. I wonder if maybe the next update will fix it? I don't know.

I like Gigabyte and more recently a big Asrock fan, never had a single problem with any of their boards. Soon as I get a MSI, I have bios problems. I'm seriously considering rma'ing the board back to Newegg for a replacement, and I'll just leave the bios as it is, I won't flash it this time.

Yes, I would definitely advise you to avoid flashing BIOS on any board unless you actually have a problem. In fact, most motherboard manuals have a bolded statement in them saying as much. BIOS flashes aren't meant to be used like software updates--don't use 'em if you don't need 'em. With that said, the fact that the issue persists after a CMOS reset seems to indicate that the problem is inherent to that particular, individual board. The issues are likely not your fault.

RMA sucks for sure. It's really terrible to have to put a two-week hold on a new rig just because of bugged hardware. If you desperately need your computer for work, I'd again advise you to just let sleeping dogs lie. You should have a year to RMA through the manufacturer, so you could always wait for a holiday or a lull in your workload.

Edit: I removed my in-Windows BIOS software suggestion because it does not appear to be available for that board. Bummer. However, the good news is that it appears that your board is under warranty for three years. That should give you plenty of padding http://us.msi.com/service/warranty/.

Last edited:

john3850

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2002
Right, but you have to click "settings", then click "save and exit" before you can even get to the save or discard screen, but it freezes on that screen so you can't make any choices such as "save" or "discard", the mouse is frozen.

Not on my asrock mb

On 2 different mb I do not have to save to exit in the bios.
I go to exit in the bios then press exit.
Discard changes and exit Yes or No and exit I am not asked to save.
Read your post to fast sorry

Last edited:

NightDreamer

Jun 30, 2013
But your missing the point. I can't use the bios. lol If I can't save and exit, then the bios is pointless.

I only updated the bios because MSI Live Update suggested I do so. It was real easy, took like 30 seconds. I don't know, never again.

BigChickenJim

Jul 1, 2013
But your missing the point. I can't use the bios. lol If I can't save and exit, then the bios is pointless.

I only updated the bios because MSI Live Update suggested I do so. It was real easy, took like 30 seconds. I don't know, never again.

I think you're just getting hung up on the idea that you can't use BIOS. Your memory defaulted correctly, you aren't overclocking, and everything is running fine after boot. That means that you DON'T NEED TO ACCESS OR USE OR INTERACT IN ANY WAY WITH THE BIOS RIGHT NOW. I'm sorry for the caps yell, but I guess I'm just not understanding why you are so hung up on the BIOS when you aren't doing anything right now that involves it. Some people never, ever access their BIOS and still others don't even know what the hell BIOS is. Those rigs are almost always fine. Until I began to OC my CPU, I personally never bothered opening BIOS on my current rig except right after first boot to check voltages and verify temps, and even that was only to satisfy my own OCD.

Could it be an issue when you upgrade later? Sure, but you've also stated that you can't live without your computer because of work. That rules out an instant RMA or return to Newegg unless you have a backup comp. That is why I told you that you should wait until you have a work break to RMA. The board will still be under warranty.

It doesn't seem like you're reading what people are telling you. Here's the quick 'n dirty: you have two options left after troubleshooting and assuming you don't want to run a reseat test to exhaust all of your options. You can RMA the board right now or you can not RMA the board right now. One option screws you, one doesn't. That's it, that's all there is to it.

So, yes, I do have a firm grasp of your situation based on what you've told me. Whether or not you choose to listen to what I'm saying and act rationally instead of out of frustration is entirely up to you.

P.S. Just because an update or change is easy to do/make doesn't mean you should do it. BIOS flash is never a good idea unless you are trying to fix an existing problem or add support for new hardware, and I'm sticking to my guns on that one.

NightDreamer

Jun 30, 2013
ARE YOU FOR REAL DUDE? Obviously your not adept enough to use the bios. I use it for all kinds of basic things. Even something simple like just changing boot order to boot from a Windows disk requires the bios.

I'm not seeming to listen to what people are telling me about RMA? Really? How do you figure, I've already mentioned all my RMA options and I already mentioned I've been working with MSI tech support, apparently you missed it.

I've been building my own computers since 1997, this is the first time I EVER updated a bios, never had to. I only did it because LIVE UPDATE 5 prompted me to, apparently you missed that little piece of information too. I don't need your lecture on updating a bios, from what I'm hearing from you, I'm much more knowledgeable on the subject to begin with.

The point is, I bought a GAMING and OVERCLOCKING motherboard, and the bios does not work, so I'm not acting out of frustration, I'm acting out of common sense, I want what I paid for.

Please don't post on my thread anymore, your quite annoying.

Last edited:

BigChickenJim

Jul 1, 2013
Ok, you know best and don't need help after all. You know everything about BIOS and motherboard troubleshooting, which must be why you basically disregarded all the advice and questions you got here and went straight to MSI tech support--who promptly told you exactly the same things. So why'd you start this thread?

It makes precisely no difference to me what you decide to do. I was only trying to help you since you stated that you can't be without your computer "for even one day." I was attempting to convey to you that you don't have to RMA right now, this instant, if it's going to cause work issues for you.

We're done here anyway, but for future reference you don't get to tell people not to post on your public thread. That's not how forums work.

And for the record, the contraction of "you are" is "you're," not the possessive "your" that you keep using.

Last edited:

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Even something simple like just changing boot order to boot from a Windows disk requires the bios.

I'm just gonna say this is inaccurate. Every motherboard made within the past 10 years has the ability to let you choose the boot device without using the bios. It's called the boot menu, and on almost every motherboard I've got currently installed in a machine, it's the F12 key.

freaklander

Aug 28, 2013
Hello,
I have the same problem with one of ten MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 I bought.
If you don't want to return the motherboard you can save the configuration by pressing F10.