BIOS boot up info dispay issue

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Hi all-
Posting this question here and not in Computer Help because I suspect the issue lies with the mobo. Anyhoo, when I fire the old girl (boy? person?) up these days, the display will show a line at the top of the screen of the vintage and origin of the BIOS, and then it just sits there for 15-30 seconds, then quickly runs down all the USB/storage/etc. info it apparently has inventoried, and then on to the Win10 bootup. This is an Asrock 890FX mobo, vintage 2014 (approx), BIOS dated May 2012, and is the latest version available on their site. My question (you knew there was one in here somewhere, right?) is not too many months ago, this bootup info came up instantly and flew by so fast you couldn't really read it. So, is there anything in particular that would cause this initial slow down, other than aging hardware? I can post the CPU, RAM, storage info if that will help, but my instincts tell me these are all secondary to whatever is going on. I post this query only in concern that one day she won't boot up at all. Thanks for any help you all might provide.

P.S. All components, save a couple of SSD upgrades, are part of the original build.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It's possible that you have more SATA or USB devices, that need to be queried, or you have a device (SATA HDD?) that may be on its way out.

It's also possible that you disabled Fast Boot in BIOS.

Reactions: bigboxes

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Well, the only addition to USB devices is a 3.0 card reader/additional external ports. Will disconnect it and see if that makes a diff, and check out the BIOS settings for Fast Boot. Thanks.

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
Well, the only addition to USB devices is a 3.0 card reader/additional external ports. Will disconnect it and see if that makes a diff, and check out the BIOS settings for Fast Boot. Thanks.

This would be a good place to start. Some add-in cards can make systems do weird things. I’ve even got a fresco logic based PCIe USB 3 card that will cause my unRAID box to not post period, but works fine in literally every other desktop machine I have.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Happens to me if I leave mp3 player or phone plugged in. Shutdowns take longer as well. I seem to recall CD/DVD having an effect once in a while (don't recall if it's blanks or certain ones).

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
likely the reader mentioned, or another device causing. in some cases, a device could be starting to fail

Mantrid-Drone

Mar 15, 2014
I have had this sort of thing happen very, very occasionally when one of my USB flash drives has failed to initialise or is not recognised for some other reason on boot. I think it maybe a USB 3.0 device controller driver thing, where its checking the USB devices plugged into USB 3.0 compliant ports.

I don't have any USB 3.0 devices and the USB 3.0 xHCI driver is up to date BTW.

In my case it looks as if the PC is frozen but it is actually just booting very slowly and that also applies to when you get to login screen. The only way I've found to clear the problem is shut down the PC correctly and restart.

But in this case if it is happening every time then so, as others have said here, my first guess would be there is an attached USB peripheral device that has some sort of problem and each one needs to be checked. First I'd check the Device Manager to see if anything is flagged there.

I suppose it could be a particular USB port issue too.