Biohock= Cool, despite glitches

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

milesl

Oct 11, 2004
Really cool game with an awesome story and beautiful graphics.Looking out the windows and seeing the underwater city is just breathtaking.I hope they release an SDK for the PC so the game can be modded.
I have to play through it again to see the ending when you harvest all the little sisters.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Regs
First game I actually had to update my video drivers for. I used the retail drivers for my 8800 and they caused screen flickering and choppiness. That's if of course I didn't BSOD.

I thought it was a very good game. Not great, but it just had one of those atmospheres and gun play to keep me having fun.

By retail I suppose you mean the latest available driver at the time when they duplicated the discs. I can't imagine never updating a video driver, especially if it's an 8800.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
It is good but nothing like the hype and 10's everywhere would lead you to believe.
Agreed.

I prefer Biohick. Nothing like dressing in plaid and hipwaders and having sex with your relatives and stray animals.
LMFAO!

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
1. Develop a FPS game called Bioshock.
2. Pay "professional reviewers" so that they give 10/10 and calling it the "best game ever since the last best game ever".
3. ...
4. PROFIT! Bonus points for unskippable TWIMTBP logos and copy protection.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Azn
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
I really enjoyed the demo, but I have two many other things to hold my attention right now. I think I will pick it up when it gets to $20ish. How long does it take to finish?

KT

I put a good 24+ hours into it the first time. Actual playing time? 40 hours.

I don't think it's that long. Probably 25-30 hours. I finished it yesterday. The boss was so easy to beat if you have weapons to max. This game is much slower paced though.

this time i am guessing 20 hours max
[i think i put a lot more time into a game i like then the average FPSer as i only play it once - i finished BS over a weekend]:p

but i didn't like it very much ... well, better then D3 ... but it lacked immersion for me due to plot holes and ridiculous stretches of credulity
--do you *reallly* think Ryan is dead?
:confused:

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Slaves obey free man chooses. I obeyed to kill him. So yeah he's dead and I'm a slave.

Game play wise? Not the greatest but the story is up there. I love a good game play but I also love good games with a very good story like this one. I would give it a 4.5 stars out 5. Not the greatest but it's very good.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Azn
Slaves obey free man chooses. I obeyed to kill him. So yeah he's dead and I'm a slave.
that is not what i asked ... WHY do you think Ryan is dead?
-You have access to his resurrection chambers also

you really think your daddy - creator of that world - is that stupid to just accept death at your hands?
-Ryan is using his son - you - to kill Atlas
... the endings are inconclusive ... get ready for a sequel

i just hope it isn't as silly as BS

what great initials ... a perfect name ;)

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
i think i put a lot more time into a game i like then the average FPSer as i only play it once - i finished BS over a weekend
You must've raced through the game. Did you explore every nook and cranny? Did you max out your research?

that is not what i asked ... WHY do you think Ryan is dead?
-You have access to his resurrection chambers also
you really think your daddy - creator of that world - is that stupid to just accept death at your hands?
-Ryan is using his son - you - to kill Atlas
I tend to agree and I think Ryan will be back in the sequel.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
i just didn't like it ... and i'd have to admit "probably not" ... although i did most of the research ... it just wasn't necessary ... i lost interest when that 'wtf' became "BS, what are they thinking" and i started to look for flaws ... immersion died for me after about 2 hours ... with SS2 you were forced to 'choose' and were always low on 'something' and were often forced to improvise. There was a sense of "urgency" and often you felt hunted so unlike BS. BioShock actually encourages you to 'die' as a valid way to proceed.
--it failed for me on so many levels ... it appeared to be a "game by committee"

If they still need some help for the expansion - i have some free-time available - i can set them straight on the philosophical end and [help] fix their lame story and fill-in a few gaping plot holes and inconsistencies so you don't have to suspend your intelligence along with disbelief. :p

We could look into Ryan's dark mind and motivations ...
:D

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Yeah, if you explore every nook and cranny it takes much longer than a weekend.

One of things I did like was exploring all the optional side areas and getting rewarded with goodies and/or extra plot elements. :thumbsup:

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Yeah, if you explore every nook and cranny it takes much longer than a weekend.

One of things I did like was exploring all the optional side areas and getting rewarded with goodies and/or extra plot elements. :thumbsup:
i do also ... in a game i like. Since i lost immersion, i just didn't care about BS anymore. i got all the plot elements, PDAs, quests ... enough to criticize the hell out of it and not enjoy it very much. *Parts* of it were ok but i felt it ripped off every successful game that proceeded it ... and pissed on the memory of System Shock/2 ... how DARE people criticize DE-IW [now]. :|

i hate sloppy writing ... BS is sloppy writing by a committee